Subject: Why the hype? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
So after all the hype I bought this game and went through the rules and played a game. And. Um. What's the big deal? There's nothing to this game. It's as dull as anything. What am I missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play competing against other players? It looks like totally missed the tactics of choosing where to draft from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
richiebabes wrote:
So after all the hype I bought this game and went through the rules and played a game. And. Um. What's the big deal? There's nothing to this game. It's as dull as anything. What am I missing?

Lots of gamers like beautiful abstract games that are mid weight and short to play. Not everyone likes every game. Its clearly not for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:

You probably aren't missing anything. You just didn't enjoy it. I find the decision making very fun and tense, but it sounds like that's not your cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed it, but it seems very much a Kiesling game of everybody performing basically the same dance steps and trying to figure out how to mess up other players without breaking their own stride. I can imagine that being dull if some people are making bad choices (then it's too easy for the players they should be interfering with).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Iceland
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, based on richiebabys other ratings... I can't really tell anything.

I just got Azul in the mail today and am looking forward to playing it, so I clicked through to see why you thought it was hype-bait. What about the game fell flat for you? Why did you think the strategy was so thin? Why did you find it dull? Compared to what? What kind of game do you like? I'm curious to know.

Then (and I'm being serious here and not trying to be snarky or condescending (I hope)), write all that down as a comment for Azul and rate the game accordingly, to help steer other similarly minded gamers away from what could be a potential dud for them.

The good news is, you'll probably make someone very happy with a trade!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adverb wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Wildhorn wrote:
Adverb wrote:

I never rate things, or haven't done for years.

I was just wondering what I am missing. I guess it's just not a game for me. You're just selecting tiles, putting them on your thing and moving them over to score. It's a puzzle but not a very exciting one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
It's a puzzle but not a very exciting one.

Agree to disagree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
You're entitled to. Sorry if I offended anyone by not liking a game you like. I was just asking why people like it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
You're entitled to. Sorry if I offended anyone by not liking a game you like. I was just asking why people like it so much.

Maybe don't lead with things like, "There's nothing to this game" and "It's as dull as anything" if you want legitimate feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich A
United Kingdom
London
NW London
flag msg tools
richiebabes wrote:

No don't apologise. you don't have to like it. I quite like it but I don't love it persobally. I don't think you're missing anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
tribefan07 wrote:
richiebabes wrote:

Maybe don't lead with things like, "There's nothing to this game" and "It's as dull as anything" if you want legitimate feedback.

Why not? What's wrong with an opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:

Tact? Respect for the people that do like it? A little understanding regarding hype and reality? Could go on for a while...

...C'mon, you literally asked the question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
richiebabes wrote:

Tact? Respect for the people that do like it? A little understanding regarding hype and reality?

...C'mon, you literally asked the question. ;)

Good grief. It's an opinion. Give me the benefit of the doubt. I bought the game and feel like I've wasted my money and am hoping I can get inspiration from someone who says why it's a good game after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Dodd
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you watch any game play videos or read the rules before purchasing? I know not everyone does this or cares to, but I find the more time I put into a decision before I purchase, the less I feel like I've wasted any money. Still sometimes a game can be hit or miss, but at least I know what I'm getting myself into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this at PAX. I thought it was okay. I think a certain amount of its buzz is due to its top-notch production. While it's not exactly my cup of tea (I have other short, light-medium abstractish Euros I enjoy more), I found it thoroughly unobjectionable and would not decline a game. In fact, I'd probably prefer this over several popular gateway games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
jondodd82 wrote:
Did you watch any game play videos or read the rules before purchasing? I know not everyone does this or cares to, but I find the more time I put into a decision before I purchase, the less I feel like I've wasted any money. Still sometimes a game can be hit or miss, but at least I know what I'm getting myself into.

Yes I watched a couple of videos and had a good feeling about it when I bought it and was excited to get it. And then I played it and thought "oh, is that it?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
mbmbmbmbmb
did you win the game you played ? Did you pay attention what others where doing ? did you got end game points like completing a vertical line ( or multiple ones)or complete all tiles of one colour ?

I do think there is more to the game like you claim quote You're just selecting tiles, putting them on your thing and moving them over to score.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Blackwell
United Kingdom
Saltdean
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:

Yes, it is a puzzle game. If you like puzzle games, I would suggest trying again with 2 and also 4 players. My first game I just played to see how it worked knowing there was more to it than just multiplayer solitaire.

The second game I saw the need to maximise what I required without allowing good collections of tiles that favoured the other players.

Like another person wrote recently, like a game of chess you are going to mess up the other’s moves knowing they will mess up yours. I find this fun because it’s back and forth. It’s not like when someone messes up your game completely in one move that you can’t recover from.

Hope this helps. If not, I guess it was never for you. Also, simple rules in simple abstracts lead to not a lot of depth but usually some great gameplay.

Have fun.

M B
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
This newest review from "Shut Up & Sit Down" is both appropriate and informative. It's the answers you seek.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/158549/azul/shut-sit-down-re...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
Haha! He's hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question:
richiebabes wrote:

Answer: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/158549/azul/shut-sit-dow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N/A
Iceland
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
I never rate things, or haven't done for years.

I was just wondering what I am missing. I guess it's just not a game for me. You're just selecting tiles, putting them on your thing and moving them over to score. It's a puzzle but not a very exciting one.

That's fair (although for me comments are more useful than ratings). However, an empty history does make it difficult/impossible to have a quick thumbnail sense of you as a gamer, your likes and dislikes, or to be able to carry on a conversation (edit: or an informed conversation) about why any given game would be a hit or miss for you.

Like I said, though, Azul will be good trade fodder for you. Probably. Hard to tell for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I hear you.
I don't understand the hype about India Pale Ales. How could anybody possibly like them? WAAAYYYY too bitter.....especially the current trendy small brewers take on them.
I like my beers to actually taste good, not leave me feeling like I'm chewing a mouthful of hops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.