Subject: Spotting an enemy with an out of sight unit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds crazy, I guess.
Yet, I can't find any mention in the rulebook that a unit must have an enemy in its LOS in order to be commanded a spot attempt (well, except for vehicles: see 7.5.E).
Am I missing something, or am I being too picky maybe?

Btw, while searching the digital rulebook, I found this in the Cease Fire action details, which I think is just plain wrong:
Note that units will open fire automatically on the closest unspotted enemy in their LOS if the enemy unit’s card does not have any friendly units
Shouldn't "unspotted" be replaced with "spotted"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Funny, I had the very same thought last night in my game - I could find no mention that a friendly unit must have LOS to a card/unit in order to make a spotting action. So can't help you Gene

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, thank you for the support anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
César Moreno
Spain
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7.5.E wrote:
You may have an activated vehicle that is not under a Pinned marker attempt to spot an unspotted enemy unit in its LOS

So... being in LOS is an explicit requirement for vehicles but not for infantry units?

I think it's safe to assume that they simply forgot to mention LOS when writing the rulebook. Seems obvious to me that being in LOS should be a requirement for every spot attempt.

Edit to add:
Just found an old post from Ben Hull that seems to imply LOS is required to make a spot attempt:

Quote:
[question] How does it modify spotting? I can find no reference on how spotting is modified by Visibility other than the fact you can't see past an adjacent card.
[BH] Illumination allows you to see farther than the adjacent card at night, you can see the illuminated card (assuming it would be in LOS during daylight)

(http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6eec3/1473)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
César, just to be clear, I'm confident that a unit requires LOS to be able to spot. There's no way a team can spot a sniper behind a hill or 1 km away at night!
Let's just say that I'm still trying to get to grips with this game's rulebook. In my, admittedly short, experience with war-games, I had come to the conclusion that the most literal interpretation is always the most correct and you never have to read what is not written.
FoF seems to be different, some common sense is always required when interpreting the rules.
But yeah, the (indirect) confirmation you found on consimworld is still very appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Gray
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So... being in LOS is an explicit requirement for vehicles but not for infantry units?

For the record, LOS is a requirement for all spotting attempts, whether vehicular or otherwise.

Best,
Ricky
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.