12 Posts

Mechs vs. Minions» Forums » General

Subject: Is this a "legacy" game? How good is for 3 player? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emeric Kien
msg tools
Hi everybody.

My friends and I just finished Pandemic Legacy Season 1 and we're thinking about our next coop campaign. We're considering buying either Pandemic Legacy 2 (for which we have a pretty good idea of what to expect) and this game that we know very little about.

Our main interrogation is whether or not the campaign is actually a "legacy" campaign, with core changes on rules/characters/cards/etc during the campaign and your action in first chapters have a huge influence on the last chapters, or if it's a more traditional campaign in which scenarii are mostly linked by story and not much by gameplay elements (like the usual "keep your wounds from one scenario to the next" approach).

Also, we're 3 players only and it seems to be a 4-player game so we're wondering how playable and balanced the game is for 3 players.

Thanks for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is pretty much a campaign and not a legacy game. You do "unlock" a few extra abilities, cards etc. in later missions, but nothing depends on how you play the game and there are no real lasting changes.
It does work pretty good with 3 players, not really any downside compared to 4. I would recommend it a lot, just don't expect a legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not your typical legacy game. You unlock new rules and cards, even new abilities, as you play through the campaign. However, no stats or accomplishments from one scenario carry over to the next. All you need to do is win and you move on, opening a new envelope that lays out the next scenario and includes extra components. Your performance in the previous scenario has no bearing on the next.

As for working with three players, that is the only way I've played it and we've had a blast. When you only have three, the first player each round gets an extra card, giving him more flexibility, even giving all players more flexibility as they decide how to best use the cards. Based on my experience, the game works great with only three players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emeric Kien
msg tools
Thank you both for your quick answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Iersel
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
Elmo likes to roll the dice
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this game with 2, 3 and 4 players. My opinion is that the game is well balanced with any of these player counts.

The game is not a Legacy game. You do unlock a few more cards (abilities) in each mission. All those cards are numbered so you can easily reset the game if you want.

All missions from Mech vs. Minions are playable as a standalone game, but I would advise to do that once you have finished the game or already played a mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wrenn
United States
Bushkill
PA
flag msg tools
What? You thought I'd have some interesting overtext?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-legacy maybe? You unlock things, but it's fairly easy to reset the game, pulling the new cards from each mission out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
PAGamer wrote:
Semi-legacy maybe? You unlock things, but it's fairly easy to reset the game, pulling the new cards from each mission out.

No, not even semi-legacy.

All it does is introduce mechanics from mission to mission. You can just as well play the campaign with all envelopes open. There are no permanent changes to the game. Wins and losses don't matter and there's no notable player choices to make.

It's a campaign game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing it with 3 players...seems ok but it seems harder with fewer players..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orite.
I've played the camp with 2 and 4 players. It is noticable that the game is balanced for four, less players makes some missions (usually the timed ones) easier, while making others (where you need good board coverage) harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
PAGamer wrote:

No, not even semi-legacy.

All it does is introduce mechanics from mission to mission. You can just as well play the campaign with all envelopes open. There are no permanent changes to the game. Wins and losses don't matter and there's no notable player choices to make.

It's a campaign game.

I'd argue it's barely a campaign game and more like a story-linked game. Player choices between scenarios are part of a campaign game (to me) as much as they are a part of a legacy game.

That said I love this game, it's great fun and the story is really enjoyable - especially if you use the official audio and doubly especially if you're into League itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a Legacy game, all your decisions and end games make your next game different.

In here you dont have that. Just a semi-like-campaign aka missions with a story linking them, which you can play infinite times.

We have bee playing always at 3P and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jjdelanoche wrote:

I'd argue it's barely a campaign game and more like a story-linked game. Player choices between scenarios are part of a campaign game (to me) as much as they are a part of a legacy game.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. A better definition would be a scenario driven game with an optional story-mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.