Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Adventure or campaign vs the computerized version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant F.
msg tools
I played a lot of video console games in my time and really enjoyed them.

The ones requiring great motor skills nit so much as I am not good but still play ok (God of War, etc.)

Now I am going to play games like Gloomhaven or 7th Continent.

How do board games compare with their computerized brethren?

Do you prefer one over the one or does each have it's place?

Perennially, I see video or PC adventures more visual, realistic and interactive I have never played a board game adventure campaign, so please input your comments.

Thx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board games are a different experience. Gloomhaven might be close to something like Baldur's Gate. There's a large section of the world to explore. Area's open up as you learn more about the plot. The game is primarily combat, with an occasional event that's resolved by player choice.

The combat system in Gloomhaven, is far more elegant and interesting than simply chucking dice (which is pretty much what Baldur's Gate is doing in the background). Additionally, the social interaction and shared experience of a board game is very different from most computer games.

I can't speak to 7th Continent, since I don't own it, but my understanding is that it's primarily about exploration, puzzles, and surviving. I don't know of any computer games that really match that. There are very few computer games about exploration. The puzzles are probably similar to a point-and-click style of adventure games. And, the survival part seems very inspired by the survival video game trend.

I don't prefer one platform over the other, but I want difference experiences. I want my video games to offer things like precision platforming, complex dialog trees, multiple approaches to solve an encounter/level, physics, and stealth. With board games I, generally, want an elegant system that gets me and friends playing together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played Gloomhaven or 7th Continent, but I would say exploration is done much better by video games. Most board games with exploration have randomized exploration. Very few, if any, actually have a designer-scripted linear or non-linear world to explore. In a video game, the designer can hide everything and reveal only the parts you move to, while in a board game, everything has to be boxed and sealed and it just becomes very cumbersome, and it tends to lead to consumable games like Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and Legacy games. Many video games are consumable as well - you explore and beat it and you're unlikely to want to play it again. That sits better with me, especially now that most video games are purchased as digital copies, than consumable board games.

Anyway, while comparisons can be made, they are very different experiences for me, and I wouldn't even call them brethren. I play board games primarily for face-to-face turn-based strategic competition (with the occasional co-op). I play video games primarily for solo exploration, or face-to-face real-time dexterity competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
They each have their place. I prefer boardgames to MMORPGs for social play, and I don't want to deal with the whole monetization thing. On the other hand, playing alone, I'll play computer games. I've never owned a console (not a real one, just a few-games-in-a-little-box) since PCs have always out-performed them. I find computer games much more immersive than a board game, but I often find boardgames more challenging, plus there's the social aspect.

I have a few games on my phone. One is Unleashed Pixel Dungeon, free from the Android store; don't know about iPhone. UPD is a Roguelike: primitive graphics, but a rich, procedurally-generated (controlled random) dungeons of I-forget how many levels. (Settlers of Catan's board is essentially procedurally generated.) UPD is one of a family of Pixel Dungeons, Roguelikes designed for touchphone play; if you don't like UPD, you may like another PD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally agree with the social play bonuses that a boardgame environment encourages.
As an example I have played Age of wonders 3 for several hours with my daughter with little or minimal chit chat. A truly wonderful game it is too.

I play one game of The Castles of Burgundy and I found out how confident she is getting by travelling around alone and meeting new friends at college.
I also found out what subjects she is doing well in and which ones are a struggle.

Age of wonders is much more pretty on the eyes and has limited set up time with a save function. We also play it for a longer period of time together. Alas the shorter time spent with a boardgame is far more valuable to me purely down to the ingame chat we have.
Makes me wonder how this does not seem to be possible with the PC game?

When she was a toddler we had awesome adventures playing Runebound (Second Edition) with her throwing all the dice.
I hope she likes the idea of Gloomhaven . Imagine all the quality banter a campaign would generate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the biggest difference is Original IP.

IMO video games have stalled when it comes to original IPs. Once in a while there are some new ones that have an impact (The Last of Us, Overwatch, Splatoon, Watch Dogs, Destiny, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc) but the biggest chunk -besides Indie's- is just part x of franchise y. In addition to that you can't play every new IP if you don't own every console and new PC hardware.

So to me that basically means I'm very limited in my choice of games and just wait for new entries of my favourite developers in the franchises I like and hope that the new entry is not just the same game that I played three years ago already or has a mechanic/genre that I don't like.

With board games you have way more original IPs to choose from and still a good chance to dig deeper in a universe you like -with expansions and a part two or three here and there- and I like that a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Myers
United States
Redmond
WA
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
The 7th Continent plays distinctly different than any adventure video game I've enjoyed.

I prefer the board game versions of these, but that's largely from enjoying the social aspects of the games -- Kingdom Death and Gloomhaven are fun to play with friends.

If you purely want to experience the depth of a world, something like Planescape Torment, Pillars of Eternity, or etc. is going to have a lot more content -- electrons don't take up as much space as cards.

Gloomhaven and KDM focus more on combat, 7th continent is almost entirely exploration. They're all fun, and in my mind, wildly different games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.