Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the series rules and the GSR, but I remain confused about the ranges of each sides ballistic and cruise missiles. Could someone simplify?

1. Can Russian cruise missiles and ballistic missiles hit on the Operational map in Poland? Can they strike Germany? Baltics? I understand the limitation on cruise missiles in the North Sea, but I'm confused about the rest.

2. Same question for Allied side. Can they hit on Operational Map? I believe the rules state they can hit in Russia and Belarus. Baltics? Baltic Sea?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
I've read the series rules and the GSR, but I remain confused about the ranges of each sides ballistic and cruise missiles. Could someone simplify?

1. Can Russian cruise missiles and ballistic missiles hit on the Operational map in Poland? Can they strike Germany? Baltics? I understand the limitation on cruise missiles in the North Sea, but I'm confused about the rest.

2. Same question for Allied side. Can they hit on Operational Map? I believe the rules state they can hit in Russia and Belarus. Baltics? Baltic Sea?

Thanks.

Non-Allied

Tu-95/Tu-22 - launch Cruise Missile strike anywhere, regardless of anything else.

SAG in Bornholm Basin/Southern Baltic - launch Cruise Missile anyhere except North Sea

If Kaliningrad, Bornholm and Gotland are ALL Allied control or Neutral, strikes only in the Baltic nations unless using an air unit or SAG (as above).

If Kaliningrad, Bornholm OR Gotland is non-Allied controlled, strikes anywhere except the North Sea (North Sea is only by Tu-95/Tu-22 as above).

Allied

B-1, B-2, B-52 - launch Cruise Missile strike anywhere, regardless of anything else

US naval unit in a Baltic Sea area (Bornholm Basin, Southern/Northern Baltic, either Gulf) - launch Cruise Missile strike anywhere

Ballistic strikes only on the Operational Map or against Kaliningrad, Suduva, or Belarus Land Areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mitchell--Thank you. But I'm still a bit confused. If Allies control Swedish islands and Kaliningrad, then Russia cannot fire ballistic or cruise missiles into Poland? Seems odd.

Both sides are allowed to fire cruise missiles from their respective aircraft and ships, and then they are allowed to fire five more. The rules specify that the Allies can fire cruise (but not ballistic) missiles into Russia and Belarus, but it doesn't specifically say they can fire into Poland. I presume that they can, however.

Seems to me that a table for both cruise and ballistic missiles ranges would be helpful. I'm of a certain generation that needs things spelled out clearly.

Anyway, thanks! Enjoying the game. (Slowly!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:
Mitchell--Thank you. But I'm still a bit confused. If Allies control Swedish islands and Kaliningrad, then Russia cannot fire ballistic or cruise missiles into Poland? Seems odd.

I assume by "Swedish islands" you are also including Bornholm (which is Danish).

Correct. They can't fire unless they use air units/SAGs.

Quote:
Both sides are allowed to fire cruise missiles from their respective aircraft and ships, and then they are allowed to fire five more. The rules specify that the Allies can fire cruise (but not ballistic) missiles into Russia and Belarus, but it doesn't specifically say they can fire into Poland. I presume that they can, however.

Yes.

Quote:
Seems to me that a table for both cruise and ballistic missiles ranges would be helpful. I'm of a certain generation that needs things spelled out clearly.

Sounds like a great player aid someone else can put together. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in MY game, Sweden invaded Denmark and took Bornholm. So there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Elfving
Denmark
Randers C
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Leonhard wrote:

What???

Article 5 my friend

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfving71 wrote:
Robert Leonhard wrote:

What???

Article 5 my friend

I see the next game in the series: Next War: Twitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Article 5 didn't work. The NATO member states, when confronted with a Swedish invasion of Denmark, invoked the little-used Apathy Exception to Article 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B-Mode

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I uploaded a one sheet for determining theater weapon launching, ranges, and targets in the file section here. You may fire when ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Leonhard
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Thank you for putting that together. I'm working my way through the rules as I slowly play solo, and I'm making PowerPoint slides summarizing the rules as I go. If they're any good, I'll put 'em online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.