Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sea Routes Question (End of March Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Northern Polarity
msg tools
Hi all,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We just unlocked the Chart Sea Lane action, and had a question about how thick the width of the route had to be in order to make the connection. The two interpretations we had were:

1. The pen must have the same width as the existing sea routes on the board.

2. The pen could be infinitely thin as long as a route could be traced via sea.

The main route in question is London to Istanbul. You could technically trace the route with a thin pen going through the northern coast of Charybdis and following the route from Charybdis to Istanbul, but if the route needs to be as thick as the existing ones on the board, then this wouldn't be possible without touching existing routes.

Does anyone have an official ruling on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I absolutely know nothing official but I'd use the infinitely thin ruling. As long as you aren't crossing, I'd say you are fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what we did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at our map for that route I think not even infinity thin could cross the mediterranean haven which is touching the south of France so is cutting of the way to there and to get south of it you would need to cross the other supply lines. The coast for Charybdis that would be geographically possible is on our map south of the existing route from Istanbul so to get through there you would cross that line and also the southern part of calabria has no gap to the northern one so no way of getting through there either (at least on our board, not sure if there is variety in printings, especially as we have a german version).

We definitely went by what we felt was intended, e.g. South America where a thin pen could probably get through to the Pacific north of the red line thereby allowing to go through another one, but we felt that line was there for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ftl ftw
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is one case where the physical components provide the answer. The line has to be thick enough to be visible and thin enough to be drawn by a physical pen. There's no such thing as an infinitely thin pen. It also has to be drawn on the actual board as the board is, with the components/borders having an an actual size.

As far as I can tell from staring at my own board, there simply no space to draw a sea lane that starts in Istanbul, north of the existing sea lane, and gets past Greece - there isn't even any blue-sea-colored space, it goes straight from yellow land to dark blue sea lane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoffman
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Frustrating to me that it’s not clear how precisely we are meant to interpret the printing of the game board. A pre-existing sea route to Lagos clearly crosses land as it touches Lagos.

As supply lines are forbidden from crossing water, I kinda think sea routes being forbidden from crossing land is to make it clear you can’t build the Panama Canal or something like that, vs. whether or not you can squeeze a drawn line through a spot that otherwise isn’t blocked. I prefer the infinitely thin interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaudium wrote:
As supply lines are forbidden from crossing water, I kinda think sea routes being forbidden from crossing land is to make it clear you can’t build the Panama Canal or something like that, vs. whether or not you can squeeze a drawn line through a spot that otherwise isn’t blocked. I prefer the infinitely thin interpretation.

This is how we've used it. If you could navigate around a coast or some islands and make it, then the sea route counts. But, you can't simply cross a body of land. We had one situation were 2 sea routes run very close for a bit simply to navigate the area to prevent them crossing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the maps are really unnecessarily unclear on this issue.

There's a tiny island just east of the mediterranean haven that seems to just exactly touch the sea routes from that haven to Istanbul and Tripoli. Does that mean you can't draw a sea route to Cairo?

The sea route from Lagos to the south haven clearly crosses land. Does that mean it can't have ANY new routes going up the north coast of Africa?

The gap between Africa and Spain looks really crowded with the existing routes. Does that mean the mediterranean haven can't have a route to London? (Or Lagos, if the above point doesn't already stop it)

Even before you get into edge cases like London to Istanbul (I don't think that haven touches France), it seems very unclear what the intent is. It's like they weren't even trying. The predrawn routes are actually fuzzy, for crying out loud!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob on Twitter posted "You can. Assume you have perfect penmanship and a thin pen." when asked about the London->Mediterranean Haven connection. https://twitter.com/robdaviau/status/938863469666938880

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Rob on Twitter posted "You can. Assume you have perfect penmanship and a thin pen." when asked about the London->Mediterranean Haven connection. https://twitter.com/robdaviau/status/938863469666938880
Note that this tweet contains an image that may have spoilers for later in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
After reflection, I have decided that the line crossing land near Lagos should be taken as a sign that the rules are intended to be interpreted loosely rather than strictly, which means all routes listed above are probably fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.