Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few of the Drug items have text starting like this:

Quote:
During a test or fight that uses S or E, exhaust to add one hit.

The above is specifically from the Drug Buffout. The Drugs Day Tripper, Jet and Mentants follow a similar pattern, though with different S.P.E.C.I.A.L. letters.

Tests inherently involve specific S.P.E.C.I.A.L. letters. For instance, if I am attempting a S E 4 test, it is a S E test whether or not I have Strength and/or Endurance. I still attempt that test, even if I don’t have those handy skills to allow a re-roll.

Fights are little different, though. Fights are fights, regardless of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. letters. Yes, some weapons may let you re-roll if you have specific letters, but I can’t find a ruling that says that using an S weapon turns any old fight into an “S fight.” It is the same fight, whether I have it with my S weapon or my neighbor who has no weapons at all has it.

So, for these Drugs, do you think this is the correct interpretation:
* Tests: If the test itself calls out the letter(s) (e.g., “Test C E 4”), you can use the Drug. This is true even if you don’t have one of the letters. This is also true even if you have one of the letters but do not use it to re-roll in this specific test.
* Fights: The fight itself will not call out any letters, but if you have an equipped weapon that uses one of the letters and you use that weapon to re-roll one more more dice, you can use the Drug. If you do not have or use such a weapon during the fight, you cannot use the Drug.

All of that feels little wonky to me, because the tests are based on the tests themselves, but the fights are based on what you use to attempt the fights. But I can’t figure out another way to define a “fight that uses S or E.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight, p.8, 4th bullet: "Each S.P.E.C.I.A.L. token on a survivor's equipped weapon counts as tokens "used for the fight" for card abilities."

So, if you have an equipped weapon that has an S or E token then you are eligible to use Buffout, regardless of whether you use the re-rolls or invoke the weapon text. Simply having it equipped is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Allard

Connecticut
msg tools
I agree with the above. Also its implied you don't need the specials involved to get the benefit from drugs. I.e. to get rerolls from a weapon you need the S and/or E, but if you merely have an S or E weapon equipped and exhaust the appropriate drug you should get the bonus hit.

Also from a themeing perspective, if you're using a melee weapon which might gain rerolls on S, E; indicating a different sort of fight than say using a sniper rifle which might key rerolls on P and L. This relates to drugs because a drug that makes you stronger or faster physically in melee, might, thematically, also make you twitchy or give you shakes that are unsuited for ranged weapons or similar.

The themeing fails slightly when fighting unarmed, but if you wanted to count fist fighting as S/E with no rerolls as a house rule for this early game edge case. I doubt anyone would fault you... except for house ruling a game before you've played it enough to know if its actually a balance/fun issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.