Popular Tags: Contrarian_Hipster [+] [View All]
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallout is a solo to four player, action combat game with mild story elements, set in a post nuclear world. The concept is based on the popular PC game series of the same name.

Production -

The artwork is adequate but doesn't encapsulate the feeling of a world that was decimated by nuclear war. I understand that this is a hard thing to do with same artwork on flat cardboard, but the board pieces don't pop or zing with elements that other titles have done much better to create immersion.

The miniature sculpted character pieces are the usual FFG high standard of quality, and would be ready to paint for avid artists. The only concern I have with the over quality, is with the player boards. You have to regularly move 3 different pegs in and out of the XP, HP and RAD tracks, and after only one play of the store copy, the peg holes were already showing signs of wear and tear.

Ease of Play/Learning -

The game comes with the new FFG standard of 2 separate rule books. One for learning to play the first time, and a more comprehensive rules reference booklet. I can't put my finger on what it was about how the rules are explained and set out, but myself and the two other players, really struggled to comprehend some of the very basic rules in this game. A lot of the time we sat their scratching our heads over how to interpret the written text, which was frustrating.

Fallout is a fairly simple game at its core. Explore, fight, gain loot, gain XP, level up and repeat until one player reaches, in this case, 9 thumbs up, to win the game.

Gameplay -

You get two actions to spend each turn, and they can be spent in several ways -

Moving - Allows movement of up to 2 spaces

Exploring which involves flipping over a hex and adding any enemies to the revealed map

Combat - Attacking the numerous bad things in the wasteland.

Encounters - Interactions with story type cards that give the player up to 3 choices, ie - Help someone or attack them or walk away

Resting - Set up camp and heal 3 HP and refresh any exhausted item cards

What made the Fallout PC game series fun and unique, was its setting, the V.A.T.S combat system and the characters you interact with along the way. Unfortunately, the board game doesn't carrying any of these elements over. So the experience of playing Fallout is, well, really boring. It just feels like a skin glued over a set of gaming mechanics that are done better in other games.

Other games that offer a very similar experience and do it much, much better that I have played are - Runebound (Third Edition), Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Defenders of the Last Stand.

Final Thoughts -

Fallout doesn't capture what Fallout is, and the game suffers as the experience playing it is not very interesting. I could see games of Fallout drag out for much longer than it needs to, and combat can be brutal, and boring. Rolling 3 dice to determine the outcome of a combat is lazy design, and it in no way captures the V.A.T.S mechanic that Fallout is known. Players will die a lot, which sends you back to the starting point on the map and you lose your loot which puts you back a lot.

FFG have missed the mark here, its a very bland game, with some crossroads style story cards (encounters) thrown into the game in an attempt to create an immersive experience but it fails. The encounter cards go something like this, do you want to help the lady or shoot her....I will shoot her. Gain 2 XP and 3 loot, rinse and repeat for 3+ hours.

If you are keen on Fallout, I would suggest trying to play a copy of it before outlaying any funds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big Fallout fan and just completed a two player game. I loved it, the crossroads style events and not knowing what the result will be really enhanced the game. I love the card library and simple combat kept the game rolling at a really good pace. I like the simplicity because it still has lots of really important decisions to make despite being short.

Not trying to disagree with you because every experience is different, but wanted to share my thoughts to give perspective on Fallout as being better suited for different players. I own Runebound and love it, but Fallout is quicker to play overall so I will probably play it a lot. I did not have as much trouble with the rules, but I had read the Rulebook twice and done a little setup game without a few turns before playing with a friend. Not sure if I would have had as muc trouble if I dived in on first play. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rook96 wrote:
I am a big Fallout fan and just completed a two player game. I loved it, the crossroads style events and not knowing what the result will be really enhanced the game. I love the card library and simple combat kept the game rolling at a really good pace. I like the simplicity because it still has lots of really important decisions to make despite being short.

Not trying to disagree with you because every experience is different, but wanted to share my thoughts to give perspective on Fallout as being better suited for different players. I own Runebound and love it, but Fallout is quicker to play overall so I will probably play it a lot. I did not have as much trouble with the rules, but I had read the Rulebook twice and done a little setup game without a few turns before playing with a friend. Not sure if I would have had as muc trouble if I dived in on first play. Cheers.

Completely agree! Fallout is amazing! Love the story and the changing cards. Enemies are tough but never really seemed to overpower us. Plenty of chances to run. Can't play this like a crawler and expect to kill everything. This is a great adventure game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see how the game isn't for everyone and can feel a little flat if it's not your cup of tea. Personally I enjoyed it, played a 4-player yesterday after picking up the game and everyone had a good time. Looking forward to getting it to the table again soon, maybe today....

But, it's not the most elegant system in game design. It has some nice concepts and it does capture the feel of Fallout, in a streamlined cardboard version of course. It's not the video game so if expectations are too high, anticipating the video game come to life, then sure you'll be disappointed. It's a board game, not a video game. With expansions (this is FFG after all) then more content/diversity will be found, but for a base game I think it was done fairly well and was enjoyable for my gaming group. We're Fallout fans, sure, but I think even those who are not big fans of Fallout will find some fun in this game. It's not the greatest thing ever but for what it sets out to do I think it does it well.

Definitely a game that should be checked out (play a demo copy or watch gameplay video/review) before purchasing. I think some will pass and others will be intrigued. It scratches an itch for those that like the Fallout series or semi-coop wasteland exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP is one of those fallout fans who dislikes (for the most part) anything after Fallout 2.

I’ve watched many a review and read many articles about this and it seems to capture the larger Fallout IP as developed from Fallout 3 onward.

The OP dislikes the visual design of the game citing that it doesn’t adequately display nuclear decimation. For me that’s quite fine. I much prefer the lively and retro visual design of the later fallout games then the drab and dreary wasteland of the first two games. He also mentions that this game does not capture what fallout is. I think a players opinion on “what fallout is” is subject to which games in the series they started with.

So to anyone who reads this, just bear in mind that if you really enjoy the direction Fallout is currently going (50s retro vibe, open world exploration, with solid gunplay) I think it’s safe to assume you will enjoy this game. I personally think the OP was being pedantic in his criticisms. But he is free to do that as his opinion on what fallout is or should be is much different from mine.

I just cautioun anyone from reading too much in a critical review that bases its argument on whether or not it captures the feel of Fallout. As that’s a very subjective thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
azza rein
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion that the OP is one of those fallout fans who dislikes (for the most part) anything after Fallout 2.

Lol here we go. Can we stop it with the ad hominem please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mydnight wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:

Lol here we go. Can we stop it with the ad hominem please.

But that’s the problem, we can’t. Fallout 1 and 2 are very different games then 3, NV, and 4.

So quite literally depending on which set of games you prefer is going to weigh subjectively on how you feel about this game.

To ignore that topic is foolish and ignorant. I still respect OP and their opinion, but would be players need to understand that liking one set of games more than the other is going to change their opinion on this board game iteration.

OP’s post was written from the perspective of someone who prefers 1 and 2 more than the later games therefore this distinction needs to be made. Of course I could just be an ass and am assuming that about OP, but nonetheless the important and obvious fact that this board game draws its inspiration from the later games needs to be mentioned to those who would read this review and think it doesn’t capture the feel of the later fallouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:

Which is funny because the lead designers said he's played every Fallout game and his favorites are Fallout 2 followed by New Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Hedgehobbit wrote:
WisdomForWizards wrote:

Which is funny because the lead designers said he's played every Fallout game and his favorites are Fallout 2 followed by New Vegas.

Interesting! I definitely think the game captures the vibe of the later fallouts more, but perhaps the design of the originals came through more so in the questing and scenarios? I wonder how much control Bethesda had on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
I definitely think the game captures the vibe of the later fallouts more, but perhaps the design of the originals came through more so in the questing and scenarios? I wonder how much control Bethesda had on this game.

I'd say that the main quest system is primarily inspired by the earlier game which had a larger number of possible outcomes programmed into them. The later games, particularly Fallout 4, tended to have larger numbers of linear quests rather than a smaller number of more variable quests.

However, the overall theme of the boardgame, that of two factions vying for control, wasn't present in Fallout 1 or 2. Those games, to my knowledge, had a central bad guy (the Master & the Enclave) whereas Fallout 3 onward had multiple factions the player could support. With Fallout 4 really moving away from clearly evil factions (Enclave in FO3 & Caesar in NV) into a situation with multiple flawed factions that have good and bad things about them.

Interview here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQQ5LuOdpo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:

I’ve watched many a review and read many articles about this and it seems to capture the larger Fallout IP as developed from Fallout 3 onward.

The OP dislikes the visual design of the game citing that it doesn’t adequately display nuclear decimation. For me that’s quite fine. I much prefer the lively and retro visual design of the later fallout games then the drab and dreary wasteland of the first two games. He also mentions that this game does not capture what fallout is. I think a players opinion on “what fallout is” is subject to which games in the series they started with.

So to anyone who reads this, just bear in mind that if you really enjoy the direction Fallout is currently going (50s retro vibe, open world exploration, with solid gunplay) I think it’s safe to assume you will enjoy this game. I personally think the OP was being pedantic in his criticisms. But he is free to do that as his opinion on what fallout is or should be is much different from mine.

I just cautioun anyone from reading too much in a critical review that bases its argument on whether or not it captures the feel of Fallout. As that’s a very subjective thing.

What? OP talks repeatedly about V.A.T.S. as one of the core features of Fallout. That's not usually what fans of the early games talk about.

And while I can't comment much on 4, there's a crapload of barren wasteland in 3 and New Vegas.

I think you're assuming a lot from some flimsy interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, the You Tuber MANY A TRUE NERD has a three part playthrough of the game. He makes a few errors, but they are very minor and do not detract for a moment the overall gameplay. If you are on the fence about this game, you should check his videos out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandros Boucharelis
Greece
Drama
Macedonia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
ubi bene ibi patria // vidi perfutui veni
mbmbmbmbmb
JP Falcon wrote:
Right now, the You Tuber MANY A TRUE NERD has a three part playthrough of the game. He makes a few errors, but they are very minor and do not detract for a moment the overall gameplay. If you are on the fence about this game, you should check his videos out...

thanks for the info, downloading right now..

for those who want a starting link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8CJ_O2mH7M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:

Incorrect, I like all Fallout games except 4. The board game doesn't come close to capturing the IP that is Fallout. If someone designs a Fallout board game, there are key elements, that make a Fallout game unique, that need to be in the board game, and they are not here.

The V.A.T.S has been ground down to 3 dice, and the S.P.E.C.I.A.L skill system, is just a re-roll you dice mechanic, in fact the entire xp grind and the key gaming mechanic is just building up more chances to re-roll your dice. Which is such a weak and watered down attempt to capture the unique elements of the IP. The characters are non-existent, and the over arching story is so paper thin that they shouldn't have even bothered.

In reality, they could have called this game "Bob's journey through a post Nuclear Wasteland" and it would make more sense, it would still be a very average game but at least it wouldn't be pretending to capture the core strengths of what a "Fallout" game should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Lee
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
tumorous wrote:
OP talks repeatedly about V.A.T.S. as one of the core features of Fallout.

He doesn't really go on and on about it, though. He makes one mention of it towards the end of the review and then, like they teach us all in grade school English , he includes it in his concluding paragraph.

But to your point it does indicate that his experience with the IP is more focused on the Bethesda games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Lee
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
itmo wrote:
The board game doesn't come close to capturing the IP that is Fallout.

That's an interesting take on the game. I haven't played through a full game myself, but I was watching people play the game at the recent PAX Unplugged in Philadelphia and it pretty much felt like a limited version of Fallout in board game form.

itmo wrote:
If someone designs a Fallout board game, there are key elements, that make a Fallout game unique, that need to be in the board game, and they are not here.

I'm curious to know what you think are elements that must be in a board game that would qualify them to use the IP.

itmo wrote:
The V.A.T.S has been ground down to 3 dice

Like someone earlier pointed out V.A.T.S. was only a core mechanic of the Bethesda produced games. It was a very small part of Fallout and Fallout 2.

And also like someone pointed out the designer of the board game cites Fallout 2 as their favorite game with Fallout: New Vegas coming in second. The overarching design of the game seems to be inline with the ideas behind those two games (New Vegas being more akin to the pre-Bethesda games).

itmo wrote:
the S.P.E.C.I.A.L skill system, is just a re-roll you dice mechanic

Hmm... interesting... I can see ways where they could have incorporated more of a skill system, but it seems like that would overcomplicate rules... I haven't played other FF games so I'm curious whether they tend to lean on the "ultra customization of characters" side of things...

itmo wrote:
the over arching story is so paper thin that they shouldn't have even bothered.

I don't know about the overarching story, but the players who were trying out the game throughout the PAX Unplugged weekend almost all agreed that the questing system and the alignment of the story arcs in those matched up with the IP pretty well...?

I'm going to pick it up a copy from my FLGS this Wednesday and try it sometime soon. Now I'm starting to fear that I'll agree with some of your points. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As discussed onyour original thread, your opinion on numerous award winning games is biased toward negative reviews. And that’s fine; everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, I’d like to know more about what led you to your conclusion.
How many games have you played?
With how many players?
If not with dice, how would you have rather seen combat implemented?
What other “key elements” from the series do you feel is missing?
What were your expectations of the game before playing?

I ask these because its Easy to be critical, and almost every game can be boiled down to simplistic dice chucking/leveling up/grinding/card collecting. Simplistic mechanics aren’t a bad thing - better than hours of calculating maths, checking rules, and waiting for indecisive players when they have too many choices. In fact the best games are often based on simplistic mechanisms.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
As discussed onyour original thread, your opinion on numerous award winning games is biased toward negative reviews.

That's a huge stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
As discussed onyour original thread, your opinion on numerous award winning games is biased toward negative reviews. And that’s fine; everyone is entitled to their opinion.

However, I’d like to know more about what led you to your conclusion.
How many games have you played?
With how many players?
If not with dice, how would you have rather seen combat implemented?
What other “key elements” from the series do you feel is missing?
What were your expectations of the game before playing?

I ask these because its Easy to be critical, and almost every game can be boiled down to simplistic dice chucking/leveling up/grinding/card collecting. Simplistic mechanics aren’t a bad thing - better than hours of calculating maths, checking rules, and waiting for indecisive players when they have too many choices. In fact the best games are often based on simplistic mechanisms.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As for my negative reviews, its about 50/50. I don't bias my reviews towards "award winning games" I just end up playing a lot of games and I find it odd that so many of these so called "award winning games" lack innovation and interaction. I play board games for the interaction, and I expect that games that get heralded as being genre defining, should be innovative, and engaging, yet lack such said elements and seem like re-skins.

I have played the game with 3 players, as for a better combat system - FFG has a huge catalog of games that have very good combat mechanics/systems. A merging of two systems to fit into Fallout could work really well. I just find that using a dice rolling mechanic is a lazy design feature, when there are so many better options available, and when it is a key element of Fallout, more time should have been spent making this part a fun, unique but rewarding gaming system. It currently boils down to roll, re-roll, re-roll some more. The player gets no control.

As I have mentioned, the story is very weak. The four scenarios that come with the game are just mild variations of each other with some token roaming factions that move around the board. Maybe a system akin to Legends of Andor might have been a better path.

As for my expectations, I had none. I knew that game was coming out, I saw the FFG quick rules video, I wasn't planing to buy it, but saw it in the library at my local game store and thought, lets give it a crack. So I went in with zero assumptions or expectations. All I knew is that it was a Fallout IP board game where you do some exploring in the wasteland with a story.

I agree with you that some of the most simple gaming systems are often the best are often the most innovative and fun. The system in Fallout is trying to emulate the V.A.T.S mechanic, but just doesn't do it in a manner that is fun, gives the player choice or control.

Hope that answers your questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natlee75 wrote:
itmo wrote:
The board game doesn't come close to capturing the IP that is Fallout.

That's an interesting take on the game. I haven't played through a full game myself, but I was watching people play the game at the recent PAX Unplugged in Philadelphia and it pretty much felt like a limited version of Fallout in board game form.

itmo wrote:
If someone designs a Fallout board game, there are key elements, that make a Fallout game unique, that need to be in the board game, and they are not here.

I'm curious to know what you think are elements that must be in a board game that would qualify them to use the IP.

itmo wrote:
The V.A.T.S has been ground down to 3 dice

Like someone earlier pointed out V.A.T.S. was only a core mechanic of the Bethesda produced games. It was a very small part of Fallout and Fallout 2.

And also like someone pointed out the designer of the board game cites Fallout 2 as their favorite game with Fallout: New Vegas coming in second. The overarching design of the game seems to be inline with the ideas behind those two games (New Vegas being more akin to the pre-Bethesda games).

itmo wrote:
the S.P.E.C.I.A.L skill system, is just a re-roll you dice mechanic

Hmm... interesting... I can see ways where they could have incorporated more of a skill system, but it seems like that would overcomplicate rules... I haven't played other FF games so I'm curious whether they tend to lean on the "ultra customization of characters" side of things...

itmo wrote:
the over arching story is so paper thin that they shouldn't have even bothered.

I don't know about the overarching story, but the players who were trying out the game throughout the PAX Unplugged weekend almost all agreed that the questing system and the alignment of the story arcs in those matched up with the IP pretty well...?

I'm going to pick it up a copy from my FLGS this Wednesday and try it sometime soon. Now I'm starting to fear that I'll agree with some of your points. LOL

Don't worry, you may really enjoy the game. I have just played a lot of games that have a very similar feel, but do it much much better. If this is your first of this type, you may love it. I just don't think it is a very good and well design game of its type.

As always with anyone's opinion, I could be wrong and its the best game ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for replying OP. I think in this case we’ll just have to agree to disagree, because I feel as though they really did capture the feel and aesthetics of Fallout as a whole. Regardless, nobody should be faulting you for your opinion, I just strongly share a different subjective opinion on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Thanks for replying OP. I think in this case we’ll just have to agree to disagree, because I feel as though they really did capture the feel and aesthetics of Fallout as a whole. Regardless, nobody should be faulting you for your opinion, I just strongly share a different subjective opinion on this one.

GameStop is a massive carrier for this game right now--most online stores are sold out, but GameStop online and local stores seem to have stock. Making an incredibly complex game would cater to the board gamer, but not your average videogamer.

I'd say with the current ruleset, they're trying to make it simple enough to bring over videogamers who may pick it up from GS, or are just fans of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Fallout is a solo to four player, action combat game with mild story elements, set in a post nuclear world. The concept is based on the popular PC game series of the same name.

Production -

The artwork is adequate but doesn't encapsulate the feeling of a world that was decimated by nuclear war. I understand that this is a hard thing to do with same artwork on flat cardboard, but the board pieces don't pop or zing with elements that other titles have done much better to create immersion.

The miniature sculpted character pieces are the usual FFG high standard of quality, and would be ready to paint for avid artists. The only concern I have with the over quality, is with the player boards. You have to regularly move 3 different pegs in and out of the XP, HP and RAD tracks, and after only one play of the store copy, the peg holes were already showing signs of wear and tear.

Ease of Play/Learning -

The game comes with the new FFG standard of 2 separate rule books. One for learning to play the first time, and a more comprehensive rules reference booklet. I can't put my finger on what it was about how the rules are explained and set out, but myself and the two other players, really struggled to comprehend some of the very basic rules in this game. A lot of the time we sat their scratching our heads over how to interpret the written text, which was frustrating.

Fallout is a fairly simple game at its core. Explore, fight, gain loot, gain XP, level up and repeat until one player reaches, in this case, 9 thumbs up, to win the game.

Gameplay -

Exploring which involves flipping over a hex and adding any enemies to the revealed map

Encounters - Interactions with story type cards that give the player up to 3 choices, ie - Help someone or attack them or walk away

What made the Fallout PC game series fun and unique, was its setting, the V.A.T.S combat system and the characters you interact with along the way. Unfortunately, the board game doesn't carrying any of these elements over. So the experience of playing Fallout is, well, really boring. It just feels like a skin glued over a set of gaming mechanics that are done better in other games.

Other games that offer a very similar experience and do it much, much better that I have played are - Runebound (Third Edition), Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Defenders of the Last Stand.

Final Thoughts -

Fallout doesn't capture what Fallout is, and the game suffers as the experience playing it is not very interesting. I could see games of Fallout drag out for much longer than it needs to, and combat can be brutal, and boring. Rolling 3 dice to determine the outcome of a combat is lazy design, and it in no way captures the V.A.T.S mechanic that Fallout is known. Players will die a lot, which sends you back to the starting point on the map and you lose your loot which puts you back a lot.

FFG have missed the mark here, its a very bland game, with some crossroads style story cards (encounters) thrown into the game in an attempt to create an immersive experience but it fails. The encounter cards go something like this, do you want to help the lady or shoot her....I will shoot her. Gain 2 XP and 3 loot, rinse and repeat for 3+ hours.

If you are keen on Fallout, I would suggest trying to play a copy of it before outlaying any funds.

I'm a huge fan of negative reviews, even of games I love, because they're often the most informative reviews. That said, your review doesn't go into much detail as to why you feel the way you do about this game. What specific aspects of it do you find flawed compared to it's peers, and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:
itmo wrote:

Production -

Ease of Play/Learning -

Gameplay -

Final Thoughts -

I'm a huge fan of negative reviews, even of games I love, because they're often the most informative reviews. That said, your review doesn't go into much detail as to why you feel the way you do about this game. What specific aspects of it do you find flawed compared to it's peers, and why?

What I wrote was not really a review. It was more of my experience. I don't actually critically analyse the game at all.

Compared to other games that do the same thing - The combat is a big focus in this game as well as the encounters, which both use the same dice rolling system. Its a big let down in Fallout. I don't find it fun or to be a clever design outcome in 2017, to roll dice to resolve a major game element. The system that is employed is for the most part very simple, and simple is sometimes very good, such as Cry Havoc's dice less system. This system lacks innovation, it's not fun, you have zero control it and doesn't emulate Fallout. It just fells like a lazy mechanic lacking substance.

You are spending 3+ hours gaining XP just so you can re-roll more dice when your initial dice roll is inadequate to complete the combat or encounter. How is that creating a Fallout feel? It's not. The game is heavily relying on dice rolling to drive the game, and it is just not a fun system to be locked into for 3+ hours. You get two actions per turn, you do a bit of exploring, a bit of resting and the rest of the game is rolling and re-rolling dice with some fairly weak cards thrown in to attempt to create immersion. Some of the story cards give you two choices, one is to roll and one is not, while others give you two choices and both require rolling dice.

Aside from the dice system, the missions are weak. I am not sure if you have played the game yet, but all I can say is that they seem like something designed in about 20 minuets. Throw some known characters from the series into each mission and fight them. That's not very in depth atmospheric immersion for an IP that is heavy on story, characters and atmosphere.

Some users in the comments have remarked that the game is focused towards Fallout 1 & 2, but that's not true. It is trying to be 3 and 4 and doesn't carrying any of the character over into the board game version. It is really just a skin job of other better games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What mechanics in other games are superior to Fallout?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.