Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Fallout is a solo to four player, action combat game with mild story elements, set in a post nuclear world. The concept is based on the popular PC game series of the same name.

Production -

The artwork is adequate but doesn't encapsulate the feeling of a world that was ravage buy nuclear war. I understand that this is a hard thing to do with same artwork on flat cardboard, but the board pieces don't pop or zing with elements that other titles have done much better to create immersion.

The miniature sculpted character pieces are the usual FFG high standard of quality, and would be ready to paint for avid artists. The only concern I have with the over quality, is with the player boards. You have to regularly move 3 different pegs in and out of the XP, HP and RAD tracks, and after only one play of the store copy, the peg holes were already showing signs of wear and tear.

Ease of Play/Learning -

The game comes with the new FFG standard of 2 separate rule books. One for learning to play the first time, and a more comprehensive rules reference booklet. I can't put my finger on what it was about how the rules are explained and set out, but myself and the two other players, really struggled to comprehend some of the very basic rules in this game. A lot of the time we sat their scratching our heads over how to interpret the written text, which was frustrating.

Fallout is a fairly simple game at its core. Explore, fight, gain loot, gain XP, level up and repeat until one player reaches, in this case, 9 thumbs up, to win the game.

Gameplay -

You get two actions to spend each turn, and they can be spent in several ways -

Moving - Allows movement of up to 2 spaces

Exploring which involves flipping over a hex and adding any enemies to the revealed map

Combat - Attacking the numerous bad things in the wasteland.

Encounters - Interactions with story type cards that give the player up to 3 choices, ie - Help someone or attack them or walk away

Resting - Set up camp and heal 3 HP and refresh any exhausted item cards

What made the Fallout PC game series fun and unique, was its setting, the V.A.T.S combat system and the characters you interact with along the way. Unfortunately, the board game doesn't carrying any of these elements over. So the experience of playing Fallout is, well, really boring. It just feels like a skin glued over a set of gaming mechanics that are done better in other games.

Other games that offer a very similar experience and do it much, much better that I have played are - Runebound: Cult of the Rune, Xia: Legends of a Drift System and Defenders of the Last Stand.

Final Thoughts -

Fallout doesn't capture what Fallout is, and the game suffers as the experience playing it is not very interesting. I could see games of Fallout drag out for much longer than it needs to, and combat can be brutal, with players dying a lot, which sends you back to the starting point on the map.

FFG have missed the mark here, its a very bland game, with some crossroads style story cards thrown into the game in an attempt to create an immersive experience but it fails.

If you are keen on Fallout, I would suggest trying to play a copy of it before outlaying and funds.

Having played Fallout 1-4 and Fallout Tactics, I cannot disagree with this more than the 100% I already do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
(See some existing discussion at Review / Opinions on Fallout - Falls Flat)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
(See some existing discussion at Review / Opinions on Fallout - Falls Flat)

I saw and agreed with every critique of the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamel Rha
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the same review posted in 2 threads?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peach
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:

Because the game falls 2x below his expectations of a Fallout that seemingly doesn't exist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamelrha wrote:
Maybe the OP is fishing for thumbs? Or he simply forgot that he already posted it? Or perhaps, like most people, hw just did not bother to see if there was already a thread wit the identical title.

Probably just a mistake that the mods will fix. Has anyone reported it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After playing this about the only thing I can agree with about this review is the Poor rules layout.

The theming is perfect, the world feels like fallout , the enemies are correct , the story elements are enough. Not sure what you were hoping for here but it hits all the right notes for a fallout game , has elements from 1-4 and looks to have a good bit of replay value. I didn’t notice any wear and tear with the player boards. Time will tell if I’m just excited and still in new game hype mode but I wholeheartedly disagree with this review. I quite enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I’m not sure how helpful your negative review is, and here’s why:

Let’s review the reviewer - itmo

Board Game Ratings 89
Average Rating 6.32
10 0 (0.0%)
9 7 (7.9%)
8 16 (18.0%)
7 24 (27.0%)
6 18 (20.2%)
5 9 (10.1%)
4 9 (10.1%)
3 5 (5.6%)
2 1 (1.1%)
1 0. (0.0%)

With zero 10/10’s and a very low average, the reviewer has a bias towards being negative.

Very limited play history, so who knows how many times itmo played Fallout before giving it this review.

Other reviews by itmo:
Twilight imperium IV: 7/10
Gloomhaven - 6/10
Scythe - 6/10
Mage Knight - 6/10
Star realms - 6/10
7 wonders duel - 6/10
Mechs vs minions - 5/10
Star Wars: Rebellion - 4/10
Terraforming Mars - 4/10
Roll for the Galaxy - 3/10
Twilight Struggle - 3/10
Fallout - 3/10

Hmmmm... quite low scores for some big titles.

So while I appreciate itmo taking the time to review and raise his/her opinions, I do take this review with a pinch of salt - same way I’d take a fallout fanboy’s 10/10 review.

I give this review a 6.32 out of ten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exupery Ether
msg tools
mb
Gloomhaven - 6/10
Twilight Struggle - 3/10

Oh.................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is about what I would expect from the game.

Haven't played it, and wouldn't necessarily mind still doing so, but it looks pretty ho-hum with no interesting mechanics to speak of. I was at first mildly excited when it was announced but upon reading the preview articles and looking over the rules my thoughts were 'that's it?'

As far as why the OP posted it in two places, it's likely that after posting the first one in general he realized it should go in the reviews forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:

Someone who has nothing but praise for big titles is a pretty useless reviewer.

I love that you're criticizing a reviewer (personally) for having standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blair Brewer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Maybe reviewers should be reviewed as well. I mean, people buy games based on reviews alot and you can have a very negative person reviewing and finding faults with everything and giving bad marks. and then you can have a person that is so upbeat they find the bright side to every part of the game and give high scores. SO to know this guy is known for low sides help. A 5 to him is like average decent whereas a 5 to another guy would be poor.

oh yeah. itmo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlairB007 wrote:
Maybe reviewers should be reviewed as well. I mean, people buy games based on reviews alot and you can have a very negative person reviewing and finding faults with everything and giving bad marks. and then you can have a person that is so upbeat they find the bright side to every part of the game and give high scores. SO to know this guy is known for low sides help. A 5 to him is like average decent whereas a 5 to another guy would be poor.

oh yeah. itmo

You're exactly right. I think negative reviews are important, and have no problem with them. But all reviews should probably be calibrated with the reviewer. How many times did I buy a game because the Dice Tower raved about it and then find I didn't really like the game at all? A lot before I learned to discount those glowing reviews because they just don't seem to line up with my tastes.

As for this review, as soon as I see Scythe, Terraforming Mars and Roll for the Galaxy with low marks I know that this reviewer and I really don't enjoy the same kinds of games. (Which is fine.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Japan
Saitama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Carter_Burke wrote:

Someone who has nothing but praise for big titles is a pretty useless reviewer.

I love that you're criticizing a reviewer (personally) for having standards.

I don't think that's what he's doing. It's important to know your reviewers' preferences and biases. That doesn't have anything to do with impinging on the reviwers thoughts or tastes but simply to know how it relates to your own. For example, since this review gives Twilight Struggle, Roll for the Galaxy and Star Wars: Rebellion really low scores I might disagree with other reviews of his (since I really like those games).

That doesn't mean that I think the reviewer is wrong, I'm simply trying to calibrate his/her views with my own. A reviwer who hates all the games you love can be just as useful for recomending future purchases as one who has the same preferences you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is kind of cool to see the data on the reviewer. It would be an interesting thing to do for some other reviewers. I have a core of 5 reviewers that I tend to follow that I have found have similar tastes to my own. They don't always agree but most of the time they tend to give similar thoughts on games and those tend to align with mine after I play the game.

I do still tend to pick out negative reviews to look at though if I'm seriously considering getting a game. I like to see what others think is a fatal flaw in the game. If what they find doesnt bother me then I know chances are it is going to be a pretty good purchase.

This game I'm still a little iffy about. I love fallout but def need to see some more reveiws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In 6 games 1 player has died and most of our games end well under 2 hours. Not sure what the reviewer is doing wrong to die so much and having games drag out. Did he play it more than once? Did he play by the correct rules? These don't make sense with having played it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrWr wrote:
Everyone's complaining about the original negative review, but this appears to be someone else taking the original opinion, reposting it in the review forum and saying "I disagree 100% with this negative review." Doesn't strike me as good form. The reviewer is entitled to not like it, you're entitled to disagree. But this isn't a review of a game, it's a review of a review. The OP already got his feedback in his own thread, why start a new dogpile?

No, the original reviewer posted his review twice. Then he deleted his original post in this thread, but the replies remain. That's why it looks like the first post is a quoted re-post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duplicate thread Moved to General and Locked

Please continue discussing in the other thread - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1894498/review-opinions-fal...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.