Popular Tags: [View All]
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
FALLEN ANGELS

Designed for the 2018 54-Card Game Design Contest (contest ready)

BGG database page

40 cards
2-6 players aged 10+
10 to 30 minutes depending on the difficulty level selected

SYNOPSIS

Sydney Australia in the late 1920's is only half-jokingly dubbed "Sin City" due to rampant prostitution, cocaine use and confidence tricksters. Since the Pistol Licencing Act of 1927 razor blades have become the weapon of choice. Razor gangs now rule the streets, led by rival crime queens: madam Tilly Devine and sly grogger Kate Leigh. But the police have not been idle. Indeed, you and your Crown Prosecutor colleagues must bring together the evidence needed to convict each of the wretches waiting to go before the magistrate. One slip and a criminal walks free.

FALLEN ANGELS is a co-operative card game based on a unique deduction mechanism, and featuring startlingly candid mugshots of the real criminals of Sydney at the height of the Roaring Twenties.

COMPONENTS

30 double-sided Suspect cards
6 double sided Divider cards
4 optional Tableau cards
Rules
Optional booklet of biographical information about the suspects

Full art cards are provided in two different formats - choose which one suits your preferred crafting method:
3x3: 9 cards per page, fronts and backs on separate pages - print these double sided (4 double sided pages, plus 1 optional page); or
4x2: 4 cards per page including both fronts and backs - print these single sided (9 single sided pages, plus 1 optional page).

Low ink cards are also provided for playtesting (4 double-sided pages in 3x3 format as above, slight tweaks to optional cards to minimise printing).

The draft rules are available as an A4 low-ink sheet, or as a full colour card-sized booklet (1 double sided page either way).

There is also a card-sized background booklet about the suspects shown on the cards.

Download from https://drive.google.com/open?id=1frMo_bhP7uGD9-OlXjUxPkN2tM...

KEY MECHANICS

EXAMPLE DEDUCTIONS

Some examples of the type of deductions involved in the game are given here.

CONTEST CATEGORIES

• Best Overall Game
• Best Cooperative Game
• Best Graphical Design
• Most Unique Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Fallen Angels (54 Card Contest, idea phase)
THE IDEA

My idea for this game is a sort of bastard love child of Hanabi and Black Sonata. I like the co-operative dynamics of Hanabi, but I am fascinated by deduction based on partial information as explored in my previous games The Council of Colbridge and Black Sonata.

So the idea is that there are six or seven different icons, each representing a type of criminal evidence (finger prints, eye witness accounts, weapons, etc). Each card in the deck is double-sided with two of the potential icons on the card front, but only one of these two on the back. the icons would be placed in the top left corner so they can be seen when a hand of cards is fanned from left to right. Importantly, the icon on the back of the card would be visible to the other players.

On your turn you would elevate one card, drawing it a little out of your hand so that it sits slightly above the other fanned cards. You would be seeing two icons on that card, say a gun and an eye. However the other players would see only the one icon that happened to be on the back, say the gun.

Now the other players would likewise elevate any cards in their hands that feature the icon that they can see on the back of your card. You must now deduce which symbol is on the back of your card, taking into account that what you can see on the back of the other players cards is only half of what they are seeing in their own hands.

If there is not enough information to deduce the icon (as sometimes there won't be) then there would be some additional clue which I have yet to figure out, but probably involving a card from the draw deck.

If you guess correctly then the card gets rotated 180° in your hand, setting up a new combination. But this time there would be one icon on the front and two on the back. Thus it will be a slightly different puzzle to figure out next time. And as different cards in each players hands get rotated there will be a combination of single and paired icons that will need to be considered in each deduction... But if a card is successfully solved twice then it goes into the score pile (the criminal is convicted).

But if you guess wrong then the card is lost (the criminal walks) and this may affect the future size of your hand, and hence your colleague's ability to deduce correctly.

I still have a lot of details to figure out with this, but I think it might just work... Whether it makes for a fun game remains to be seen!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
THE PHOTOGRAPHS

I have been incredibly moved and inspired by a large collection of mug shots and crime scene photographs that have been released into the public domain by the New South Wales Police.

These were taken mostly in the 1920s and 30s using silver-plated glass negatives (think the kind of camera where the photographer disappears under a thick black cloth before igniting an explosive flash on the end of a long stick). These have a surprisingly incredible resolution and incredible tonal depth that really bring the subjects to life.

The other astounding thing about the mug shots is that these were taken pretty much straight away when the suspects were hauled in off the street. There are some extremely well-dressed and stylish criminals! And they seem to have been allowed to pose however they like. Some look nervous and worried, but the vast majority actually seem to be having a good time. This is surprising until you realise that for many this would be their only chance to have their photograph taken, ever, and that the technology was still relatively novel (at least in Australia). Therefore a mugshot was in fact a unique opportunity to leave your image for posterity.

See https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/justice-police-museum/for... for some of the mugshots, or http://collection.hht.net.au/firsthhtpictures/resbyfield.jsp... for additional crime scene photos.

WARNING: Some of the images on the latter site include the bodies of murder victims. Please use your own discretion!

(Interestingly for me, the archive contains a gory photograph of the body of my near-namesake: one John Keane, a bookmaker, who was gunned down "gangland style" in an empty lot. Eek!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Some amazing stills here, John — a valuable find, indeed!

I wish you all the best with this!

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks Alex. I confess I find those pictures incredibly hypnotic. And there are some incredible stories behind some of them. I hope I can come up with a game to do them justice (pun intended - groan!)
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The irony is that I'm working on a much bigger, deeper boardgame (compared to my usual games) that's set in the late 18th century (1780s-1800s) based on British criminals that were punished by 'transportation' to a penal colony in Australia, and effectively turned into pioneers and colonists...

You can read a little bit more about them here: http://19crimes.com

So you can see why those images struck a chord with me... ;-)

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Perry
United States
Newtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing that because this uses elemwnts of hanabi that it probably would not be a soloable coop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are a truly amazing set of pictures, I remember seeing them when they were part of some exhibition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Aw, shucks. And here I thought the Hanabi-Black Sonata cross was going to delve deep into the murky history of Elizabethan fireworks. Next time, I guess.

Not only do I love the mugshots you're using, but I was checking out some of those for my own inspiration recently. Walter Smith stands out so sharply in my memory, but they're all powerful images.

Curious to see how this comes together, especially at varying player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can. Not. Wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking really interesting already! Following along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right about the images, stunning.
You have enough for a full deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
THE FERRET THIEF

I am working through cleaning up the images (just a bit!) and creating the cards. But in my travels I came across a similar archive of slightly earlier mugshots from New Zealand (my home country) at http://www.police.govt.nz/about-us/history-museum/museum/exh.... There are some wonderful shots here, though the photographic quality is not quite as good as the Australian ones. Interestingly, NZ went through a phase where suspects had to display their hands in the mugshots, as these were believed to be useful for identification in the same way that the distinctive appearance of ears led to the current side-on mugshot.

So I am including a few of the NZ shots on the cards, including this one:

In 1908 in Napier, Daniel Tohill was charged with stealing a bicycle and a fur necklet. He was acquitted of the bike, but served four months for the necklet. He had two prior charges of theft, including for stealing two ferrets in Christchurch in 1906. The full story of this dashing ferret thief can be found at https://historygeek.co.nz/2012/09/23/the-truth-behind-new-ze... and https://ridiculouslyinteresting.com/2012/09/28/the-life-of-n...

(I am seriously tempted to use this guy for my avatar...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
His side-on profile looks a lot like Michael Fassbender!

Some fascination history you're discovering, John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PAUSE

I have been working on this steadily and have a low ink version and preliminary rules. But I'm off for a family holiday tomorrow, so won't be able to do much more (except playtesting I hope) until the new year.

I hope to have a reasonably playable first draft available by mid January, but for now it's summer holiday time!

See you in 2018!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bardy
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
JohnKean wrote:
PAUSE

I have been working on this steadily and have a low ink version and preliminary rules. But I'm off for a family holiday tomorrow, so won't be able to do much more (except playtesting I hope) until the new year.

I hope to have a reasonably playable first draft available by mid January, but for now it's summer holiday time!

See you in 2018!
JK

Enjoy your hols, and I look forward to seeing what comes out the other end... lol

Best Wishes fort Christmas!

Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,
Love the cards and the simplicity of it. I'm looking forward to figuring out how this'll work as a co-op. I sort of understand the concept of pushing up the card so one of the two icons appear on the back, and am interested to see how you continue from there.

Looking forward to this.
Subscribed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
RESEARCH

My holiday is nearly over, but while away I have been reading these two books:

Both are fascinating and linked to the images and theme of this game. I hope to relate here (in abbreviated form) some of the surprising stories behind the Sydney mug shots. Stay tuned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Fallen Angels (54 Card Contest, components available)
LOW INK COMPONENTS AVAILABLE

Low-ink components (36 cards) are now available for playtesting.

Low ink cards (4 pages double sided, or 8 single sided and sleeved. Real cheap skates can print 2-up to make mini cards and halve the printing requirement)
Draft rules (1 page double sided)

Download from https://drive.google.com/open?id=1frMo_bhP7uGD9-OlXjUxPkN2tM...

I am still working on the full art cards (which will have 39 cards) and a booklet giving some background for each of the people shown in the mugshots. I also need to do some diagrams for the rules as there's a few non-standard ways to handle your cards, needed to make the deduction mechanism work.

I have been playtesting a three-handed game myself and it seems to be working pretty well. Most turns are reasonably straightforward with a little thought, but every so often a really challenging logical deduction scenario comes up to challenge you. The difficulty levels need some thought, but I have some ideas about how to tune the difficulty.

All feedback and suggestions are welcome!
JK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting to see the genes this new game shares with Black Sonata. Must say, I prefer those flitting ladies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Larry Writer? Nice aptonym.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
GreenTea532 wrote:
Interesting to see the genes this new game shares with Black Sonata. Must say, I prefer those flitting ladies.

Don't worry - there will be plenty of flitting ladies here too. Sydney in the 1920s and 30s was ruled by a pair of "ladies" - Kate Leigh and Tilly Devine - and their razor gangs. And there were plenty of others hauled in by the police...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Bruner
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game sounds really interesting, and several of the mechanics sound fun, especially with how you hold and use the cards with the divider card.

A few notes on the rules:

-They say 2-6 players, and under components it says 6 divider cards, but in the low ink version of the cards (if I understand right) there are only five divider cards.
-Also in the components it says 1 convicted card, 1 acquitted card, and 1 informant but you've combined those into one card (clever!) in the actual file. So that and other references throughout the rules to "cards" need an update, such as in the setup, etc.

Everything else seems pretty clear for the most part, although I might have more questions after an actual play through if I can get one wrangled up with some other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Garthwaite
United States
Lewisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
It's chaos. Be kind.
mbmbmbmb
Jeez, John. An author named Writer and a murderer named Mort. I know you're not making these up, but...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bgarthwaite wrote:
Jeez, John. An author named Writer and a murderer named Mort. I know you're not making these up, but...

Wait till you hear about the razor-wielding gangster called Snowy Cutmore...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |