Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Web
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

Today we played a 4 player game of Orleans using the Trade & Intrigue expansion for the first time. At first we were loving the new board and all of the options it provided as well as the interesting new events. However, when we reached the half way point the game turned for us. We started to realise that we had almost completely run out of interesting things to do and achieve. While orders could still be fulfilled, we could no longer gain any more followers except for brown followers without a technology tile or a blue follower. All cities had a trading house on it except for 2 which were built in the following few turns and most valuable resources had been taken from the map board. We ended up deciding to cut out game short to avoid more rounds of just using our buildings that generate points, which really isn't that interesting or fun to repeat.

I'm at a total loss for what went wrong. I've heard nothing but praise for this expansion and I'm an enormous fan of Orleans as well as the cooperative mode in the Invasion expansion. I don't think we made any rules errors although given the result I wouldn't be surprised. Our scores at the end were 240, 209, 144 and 116 which are higher than any of our scores before and those scores above 200 are well above what I've seen discussed as normal on these forums in the past. Those scores were with 3 fewer rounds than usual as well.

I have a couple of ideas as to what happened but I'm really not sure. We made the mistake of returning goods spent for orders to the pool instead of back to the box. All this really changed in our game was that one player collecting brocade was able to collect a few more than usual and so had a little bit more to do before running out of tasks. Also, I took the Laboratory extremely early, I believe round 3 with the help of a A hourglass token, and then got a technology tile every turn until they ran out. This made the other players rush to get brown followers and the technology tiles were gone very early. Perhaps this forced us into a highly efficient strategy? I'm fairly sure though that the rounds we skipped using the D hourglass tokens would not have made a significant dent in our plans and our scores would have been even higher if we had have played those rounds.

I'm really curious as to what the Orleans playing community might think we did wrong. I know it isn't much to go off of, but hopefully someone has some ideas. I've also watch the episode of Game Night with Orleans and watched Rahdo's runthroughs and I'm fairly sure we've been following the base game rules correctly.

Thanks for reading,
Danweb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Berg
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like the game dragged om way longer than it should. Did you use all the new event tiles (34?). If i remember correctly it should only be 16 tiles + 2 silencium per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played twice now. The first game had almost all the positive/easy negative event tiles and that made me think it was a mediocre expansion as well. The last quarter of the game was quite boring. Second game saw more negative tiles. That was a good game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Web
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mavin87 wrote:
Sounds like the game dragged om way longer than it should. Did you use all the new event tiles (34?). If i remember correctly it should only be 16 tiles + 2 silencium per game.

No, we definitely used only 18 tiles, although that would definitely explain the problem away if we hadn't.

BaSL wrote:
Played twice now. The first game had almost all the positive/easy negative event tiles and that made me think it was a mediocre expansion as well. The last quarter of the game was quite boring. Second game saw more negative tiles. That was a good game.

Interesting. After looking through some of the ones we didn't use I think we did get more easy events than would be normal. I still feel unsure though as our scores were unusually high and didn't feel that the events were helping us along too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Watson

Iowa City
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this at 2 players and both of us were nearly able to get all our houses out. It was also clear that one player was going to win with about 5 rounds left. It might be needed to shorten the length of the game to keep it close and from becoming boring/stale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Web
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aquasoul wrote:
I played this at 2 players and both of us were nearly able to get all our houses out. It was also clear that one player was going to win with about 5 rounds left. It might be needed to shorten the length of the game to keep it close and from becoming boring/stale.

Hmmm, maybe removing one each of the A, B, C and D tiles would work. I'll probably try this next time we try the expansion out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.