14 Posts

Pulsar 2849» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gyrodyne technology bonus conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
LCG 74160
msg tools
mbmb
The B technology tree has a space described as "Whenever you take or flip a medium or large gyrodyne, score 2 points.".

Does this also apply when you get a gyrodyne "for free" as part of an exploration bonus?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lcg74160 wrote:
The B technology tree has a space described as "Whenever you take or flip a medium or large gyrodyne, score 2 points.".

Does this also apply when you get a gyrodyne "for free" as part of an exploration bonus?

I would say no or it make the game too random and the tech too strong.

but wait for Paul Grogan answer this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t. That would constitute the taking of a gyrodyne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would say yes aswell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: I've received official clarification from the designer. Check my messages below in another post.

on the train, so cant check things, but seems clear to me.
If you have a tech which says "Get X when you do Y", then when you do Y, you get X.
Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lcg74160 wrote:

there's a difference in term of game balance if a free gyrodine (medium or large) gain the effect from tech B or not, normally in a game if something is not paid don't get bonus but I can see here that this is a incentive to explore the map and also after some stats I can confirm that what seem an excessive bonus is not .

I counted 4 planetary system that give gyrdoine as a bonus so if they gain the effect from tech B it's a total of 8points. Plus HQ projects that give gyrodine as benefit.

If we compare this count with tech A "start a gyrodine spinning is 3 VP", in an average game we have 4 gyrodines spinning, So making an average of the points we can say that the bonus of technology B is aligned with that of technology A that will give 4 x 3 = 12 VP

if we spend all the 16 actions of the game to build gyrodine we have to consider also the exploration, included tech that immediately let you claim an isolated pulsar. Let's say 8 action left to buy gyrodine and build them and start tehm. So a total of 4 with a pick of 6 gyrodines for match is a good average stat

So making an average of the points we can say that the bonus of technology B is aligned with that of technology A that will give 4 x 3 = 12 VP

Now, tech C whenever you start a gyrodyne spinning score 4 VP, seem ok its on round 3, Tech A is on round 2.
Tech D: give points based of type of gyrodine spinning.

So my conclusion is that yes the TechB aply to all gyrdoine included the free ones.
"nope"

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LCG 74160
msg tools
mbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
So making an average of the points we can say that the bonus of technology B is aligned with that of technology A that will give 4 x 3 = 12 VP

Be careful with the comparisons. The technology B also gives you +/- 1 or 2 when you take or flip a gyrodyne which is, by itself, very powerful and much better than technology A that gives you only +/- 1 and only when you flip a gyrodyne...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lcg74160 wrote:
UtterMarcus wrote:

Be careful with the comparisons. The technology B also gives you +/- 1 or 2 when you take or flip a gyrodyne which is, by itself, very powerful and much better than technology A that gives you only +/- 1 and only when you flip a gyrodyne...

sure a lot of factor are involved my dissertation is to understand if the game is balanced and it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been chasing this up with CGE, and the official answer is that this bonus only applies to when you use an action to buy a gyrodyne tile, not when you get one for free as a result of something else.

Apologies for any confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I've been chasing this up with CGE, and the official answer is that this bonus only applies to when you use an action to buy a gyrodyne tile, not when you get one for free as a result of something else.

That could not be any less clear from the RAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
PaulGrogan wrote:

That could not be any less clear from the RAW.

Yep, I believe the wording will be fixed for future printings and the tech will be clear it only applies when you buy a tile using an action. I've asked for some kind of FAQ to go online. It was never the designers intent to have this bonus applied to the free tiles, but it is something that the rules writers thought did apply, so it slipped through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

good to know
And in time because tonight will play pulsar again.
I try reach Suchy but he have no contact profile on BGG

greetings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

Yep, I believe the wording will be fixed for future printings and the tech will be clear it only applies when you buy a tile using an action. I've asked for some kind of FAQ to go online. It was never the designers intent to have this bonus applied to the free tiles, but it is something that the rules writers thought did apply, so it slipped through.

For the FAQ please consider to include also this topic too
https://bgg.cc/thread/1900657/clarification-two-d-technologi...

thank you Paul for your effort

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UtterMarcus wrote:
I try reach Suchy but he have no contact profile on BGG

The best way is through support@czechgames.com - they (or me) have a way of contacting him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.