Gloomhaven» Forums » Variants

Subject: Couple of rules to make a little more sense? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wonham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loads to love, but just wondering about a couple of things.

1) Not convinced by the LoS rules. I think it can lead to some slightly weird outcomes. Many hex-based systems use a centre to centre approach for LoS. Anybody any thoughts on how that might NOT work in the GH maps?

2) Range. I think the disadvantage rule is brilliant. At the other end though is the range maximum. Wondering if people have thoughts about the impact of allowing up to DOUBLE the range with a default penalty on the attack cards. I'm thinking a triple disadvantage (choose worst of 3 cards), but could see that a -2 attack + the attack modifier, no negative effects apply, etc, might also work. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second proposal is more likely to have unforeseen balance issues. You also have to come to with a rule for Ranged attacks (or non-attacks) that don't use the attack modifier deck.

The LoS rule would probably be a non-issue, but I imagine it may be more difficult to eyeball.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Politis
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one issue with your Los modification is shooting around corners or through doorways. Not to mention the simplicity of any vertex to any vertex is easy to visualize.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Schuster
Austria
Innsbruck
Tirol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The second proposal is more likely to have unforeseen balance issues.

That's interesting, as I would say it's the other way round. LOS from center to center would massively weaken ranged monsters, and make opening doors much more easy than it is now. It's so much easier to hide that way.

Increasing range with additional disadvantage ... well, that would of course strengthen ranged attacks a bit. But keep in mind that a "triple disadvantage" rule would hurt the monsters much more than the players. After all, they are not able to substantially improve/streamline their attack modifyer deck via perks.

All that said - what would be the advantage of the idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Complex wrote:
Quote:
The second proposal is more likely to have unforeseen balance issues.

That's interesting, as I would say it's the other way round. LOS from center to center would massively weaken ranged monsters, and make opening doors much more easy than it is now. It's so much easier to hide that way.

Increasing range with additional disadvantage ... well, that would of course strengthen ranged attacks a bit. But keep in mind that a "triple disadvantage" rule would hurt the monsters much more than the players. After all, they are able to substantially improve/streamline their attack modifyer deck via perks.

All that said - what would be the advantage of the idea?

Ah, I didn't think the LoS through completely. I agree with your assessment.

The increased Range is pretty significant too. So many of the scenarios are designed with limitations on Range taken into account.

I think the OP is looking for more thematic rules....not mechanical gameplay improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disco Lando
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
The LoS system doesn't come into play that often, I'd say feel free to use your variant, it should affect monsters and players similarly.
There is no way I'd use increased attack range though, that has massive and hard to forsee balance implications. The current ranges seem to be very well balanced and lead to interesting and impactful tactical decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.