Subject: Section (L.Flank/Centre/R.Flank) sizes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know the sizes of the sections in hexes? - Ancients and Napoleonics were different, the latter having a wider centre.

I know the board for Medieval is deeper in terms of number of hex rows but haven't seen anything about the sections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Does anyone know the sizes of the sections in hexes? - Ancients and Napoleonics were different, the latter having a wider centre.

I know the board for Medieval is deeper in terms of number of hex rows but haven't seen anything about the sections.

It is hard to tell if Richard is designing the boards with the period in mind or just doing what he did in the previous game with slight tweaks. The board sizes seemed to be grouped into when they were published. From the beginning it was 9 x 13 being in use from 2000 to 2011. During that time, it was always 4/5/4 for the section with the exception of Ancients and BattleLore going 4.5/4/4.5.

From 2012 on, the board has been "squared" up a bit and has been 11 deep x 12 wide. The exceptions being BattleLore 2nd edition doing only 9 deep while Tricorne went back to the traditional 13 wide.

If Medieval is also 11 deep, sounds like it might copy Tricorne and stick with 13 wide, probably doing 4.5/4/4.5 again. Not only does this copy what was most recently published, but it matches the era most closely with Ancients and BattleLore (the original medieval version) with the same section sizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the 13 x 11 was a definite, based on the GMT game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
domus_ludorum wrote:
I thought the 13 x 11 was a definite, based on the GMT game page.

I was trying to find that - I see that now. So definitely 11 x 13. I still believe 4.5/4/4.5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
my eye
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The board has the same hex/flank counts as Tricorne (13x11, 4.5/4/4.5):

Commands & Colors Board Database

Edit: Updated image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whilst the width of section might seem disproportioned, if you count hexes in each section, (counting the hexes split by the section border twice), there is 50 hexes in each section. This makes the Command Deck easier to balance I expect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that 'Earache' and a useful link - exactly what I needed. I'm doing a custom neoprene mat which I was wanting to be able to use for Ancients/Napoleonics/Medieval......I can see there are a couple of graphical challenges in that but I think I can see a way through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
During that time, it was always 4/5/4 for the section with the exception of Ancients and BattleLore going 4.5/4/4.5.

The narrower center in Ancients reflected the importance of flanks in that era, that most of the time decided the battles, and was at the same time a way to give room to the more mobile units that were deployed on the flanks, and to allow flanking maneuvers.

At some point flanks lost this relative importance, but since RB decided to keep that feature up to BattleLore, it would be reasonable to say that he will keep it for CCM (earlier Medieval) too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.