Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ThisIsWhyWeCan'tHaveNiceThings [+] [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it is this time of the year again when BGG has it's End-of-Year Geek Support Drive!

I intend to support financially BGG yet again, as I have for many years in the past.

It has been our support, financial and otherwise, that has allowed this site to become what it is today.

I am curious to know what is the level of financial support that Wargamers like ourselves put into BGG.

I figure from a very recent poll on another thread that we are about 500 people that are currently active on the BGG Wargame Subforum.

Wargamer, what is the amount that you are willing to donate ?

EDIT: 56-75 SHOULD BE 51-75. SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE.

Poll
How many dollars do you intend to donate to BGG this year ?
Zero
1-5
6-15
16-25
26-50
56-75
76-100
101-150
151-200
More then 200
      544 answers
Poll created by Mallet

Please feel free to add as many comments as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the minimum to turn off ads? That's what I donate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the specific thread here they mention that you can customize you viewings of the adds when you donate $25.

Donations can buy you various microbadges up to the amount of $200.

I don't have enough words to say how much enjoyment I get from interacting here on this website each and every year, all through the year, so I intend to support financially BGG in a significant way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is easily my number one website. I donate $75 every year and it's worth every dime and more. They've certainly saved me many times that amount just by allowing me to avoid what would have been poor purchases by having so many reviews and user comments available to peruse on any given game. Of course, this site has probably cost me a bundle by exposing me to so many games that I otherwise would have never heard of! Hummm...

Having said that, people should donate whatever amount they feel comfortable with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
This is easily my number one website. I donate $75 every year and it's worth every dime and more. They've certainly saved me many times that amount just by allowing me to avoid what would have been poor purchases by having so many reviews and user comments available to peruse on any given game. Of course, this site has probably cost me a bundle by exposing me to so many games that I otherwise would have never heard of! Hummm...

Having said that, people should donate whatever amount they feel comfortable with.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m always giving money each and every year. BUT, looking at all the traffic my activities on that Web site probably generates, then BGG should donate some money to me, too (and other individuals), not just a lot of that Geek Gold unuseable & imaginary crypto-currency. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Moss
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the 26-50 category be 26-55, or is there a deliberate exclusion of 51-55 dollars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
licinius wrote:
I’m always giving money each and every year. BUT, looking at all the traffic my activities on that Web site probably generates, then BGG should donate some money to me, too (and other individuals), not just a lot of that Geek Gold unuseable & imaginary crypto-currency. LOL!

True, BGG needs to get GeekGold on the blockhain, so we can all become septaquintillionaires over night, and in turn buy even more games, attend more BGGcon shareholder meetings, and ... donate more to the site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll kick in $15 for the year end campaign and $25 for the 2018 campaign.
I spend more time here researching games and reviewing files and forums than I do on any social media site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzlvraz wrote:
Shouldn't the 26-50 category be 26-55, or is there a deliberate exclusion of 51-55 dollars?

Actually, it should be 51-75, not 56-75.

Placed an EDIT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll support with $15 or $25. The extra $10 might be worth it to hide the hideous art from some of the Kickstarter projects. I think it would have been worth the money to spare me from the Total Recall images alone. What they did to Sharon Stone...

shake

It made the legendary art look top notch.

BGG itself, very, very helpful. It must be up there with the most useful sites for any hobby. It's the top I know of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do 50 each year, but this year did 100. This is a great resource and I would hate to see it go away. The admins work hard to keep it up and running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

We have adblock so we don't see the ads. I donate every year mainly because of my OCD. Seeing people with missing years sends me into a tailspin.

However, I'm spending less time on here at the moment because my work is so exhausting and it was more of a toss up this year as to whether i would chip in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my primary site for wargaming, so yes will continue donating and contributing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
besides ad's the other feature I'd like to be able to permanently turn off are the video features from the various game events that seem to just hammer away at us periodically on the main page. I simply do not watch videos on this site let alone the news broadcast type from the Spiels etc.

This is a good site for research, I appreciate it and I'll continue to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ads don't bother me and I understand their commercial necessity. For that matter sometimes I even learn about games I am truly interested in from them, which is good all around.

And I'd happily support the site monetarily, but one thing prevents me from doing so. The mods are too fast with the ban hammer. I don't donate to support people who tell me to shut up without any sensible reason. It's a free speech thing. Sorry, just the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rinella
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Until the ratings system is fundamentally reformed it will be zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't plan to give a dime. It is a for profit web site, making a lot of money.
Fundraisers are for charities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it around here. Happy to pay towards the upkeep of the site. Given the time I spend on the site, it is probably costing me less than 25 cents per hour. Good value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supermaxv wrote:
What's the minimum to turn off ads? That's what I donate.

Much as I love BGG. It's not the homey Ol' website it used to be. They no longer need more of my cash to keep them going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

On the BGG website, in the Admin section, they seem to claim that a lot of people are volunteering their time.

To what extent is this statement accurate or not ?

OTOH, GMT, MMP, Compass Games, etc. are "for profit" organizations also, and I don't mind sending them from time to time sizeable amounts of my money in exchange of well-crafted games.

I don't mind paying for the service I receive from BGG: I find it is well worth it.

I do agree with all the comments up till now concerning the "problematic" aspects of BGG moderation, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
I don't plan to give a dime. It is a for profit web site, making a lot of money.

I am not sure about my continued financial commitment because I am thinking of trying to build my own webpage away from BGG in order to post book and game reviews where I won't have to deal with some of the nonsense concerning negative reviews of popular games.

The "moderation" here is a total farce, but, as Severus Snape reminds Harry Potter, "Life isn't fair." BGG will gladly take your donation and give you a suspension, all in the same day, if you like. Probably in the same hour, if speed is your thing.

The most valuable things, for me, about BGG are:

1) researching new or upcoming games
2) trade possibilities
3) making and meeting friends
4) asking questions concerning games and (sometimes) receiving answers

A day is coming when, for every game I buy, I will have to make an equal donation to a worthy charity. That I am not at this point shows that there are things that I need to do, to say the least, in order to make this happen.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:

What's BGG's profit margin?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
sduke wrote:

Part of how it makes money is that it provides a service which many users find valuable enough to be willing to pay to support it.

Fundraisers are not only for charities. I know many non-charity websites which similarly have fundraisers or accept donations to support them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
sduke wrote:

Part of how it makes money is that it provides a service which many users find valuable enough to be willing to pay to support it.

Fundraisers are not only for charities. I know many non-charity websites which similarly have fundraisers or accept donations to support them.

And Kick Starter is a fundraiser.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.