Cameron
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
OK I feel like I'm missing something here. When should I choose to have my forces go all in on an assault...or all in on maneuver...or split them up into a combined attack?? I haven't been able to find any clear explanations or play examples to help me know when and why to make these decisions.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to micromanage my troops, split them into assaut and maneuver forces -- only to get a sucky cordination roll and then be stuck with a frontal assult.

Could the game be played using only one type of combat...and still have the same overall result? I'm guessing both types are here for a reason.

Examples, opinions, suggestions about when and why to use these types of combat would be highly appreicated. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
As the US, it keeps the NVA from retreating before combat.

You can only ever Assault with 4 Stacking points of units, therefore if you are under time pressure to take an objective, you may need to conduct both Assault and Manuever combat to take the objective more quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kircun
United States
Woods Hole
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CactusJuice wrote:
When should I choose to have my forces go all in on an assault...or all in on maneuver...or split them up into a combined attack??

Good question. I'm a relative newcomer to this game so I might not have the most insightful of opinions, however here are my observations:

Maneuver Combat: This seems like the safest and least bloody option most of the time. It probably won't cause any step loses to the defenders, but will likely force them to retreat and hopefully cause some fatigue (which will compel them to re-position to the rear). Also, there is no limit to how many units can perform this kind of combat.

Assault Combat: This can prove to be a more bloody affair, especially for the attacker if the defender has access to a lot of artillery/air support. This type of combat might be a good option if you have numerical superiority. Of course being limited to 4SPs per assault will limit its use.

Combination Combat: Overall I would consider this the best option if you can manage it. For example, if you successfully surround an enemy position (either partially or fully), then you will likely have a large amount of units available for an attack. The maneuver combat portion of the attack will hopefully cause some fatigue to the defenders, which will then impact the later assault. In my experience it will likely take multiple turns of such combined combat to grind-down a well defended position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.