Subject: What's the highest ranked 'mass market' game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Calum M
Scotland
flag msg tools
Mmmm, teacakes.
badge
There's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I got wondering, what's the highest ranked game in the bgg database that an average person on the street would recognise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly Ticket to Ride: Europe at place 84. Lots of copies sold and has been around for over a decade. I knew about I well before I got into hobby boardgaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
psson73 wrote:
Possibly Ticket to Ride: Europe at place 84. Lots of copies sold and has been around for over a decade. I knew about I well before I got into hobby boardgaming.

I guess I still think of that as a "hobbyist" board game. Maybe Go at #109?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Harris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you truly mean 50+ out of 100 people would recognize it you'll have to go all the way down to Go (109) at least or perhaps Magic (150). In fact, I would bet that would be pushing it! You'd probably have to get down to Chess (408).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calum M
Scotland
flag msg tools
Mmmm, teacakes.
badge
There's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
goldspire wrote:
If you truly mean 50+ out of 100 people would recognize it you'll have to go all the way down to Go (109) at least or perhaps Magic (150). In fact, I would bet that would be pushing it! You'd probably have to get down to Chess (408).

Ah, chess! I didn't even consider that one. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people on the street around here (a city in the Midwest of the USA) would not recognize Go or Magic The Gathering. I agree with Chess as the highest-ranked game that an average person on the street would recognize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought for next-highest ranked after Chess would be Poker (provided the people on the street see people playing it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on which street, Go, followed by Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Codenames is listed #8 for best selling board games at Walmart. I think that is plenty to qualify something as mass market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:
Codenames is listed #8 for best selling board games at Walmart. I think that is plenty to qualify something as mass market.

I'm not sure if it's there yet, but Codenames is close. There's a Disney version of it for gosh sakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

I'm not sure if it's there yet, but Codenames is close. There's a Disney version of it for gosh sakes.

...and Codenames: Marvel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pettersson
Sweden
Arvika
flag msg tools
Small tortoiseshell butterfly
mbmbmbmbmb
goldspire wrote:

If you give 100 people 100 seconds to list as many games as they can, you'd probably would need to go to Chess for more than 50%.

Would be fun to see what other games showed up on a list like that.

(Question format stolen from the BBC gameshow Pointless)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
psson73 wrote:

If you give 100 people 100 seconds to list as many games as they can, you'd probably would need to go to Chess for more than 50%. :D

Would be fun to see what other games showed up on a list like that.

(Question format stolen from the BBC gameshow Pointless)

I'm guessing Monopoly, Uno, Candyland, and Scrabble would show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Average person in China or Japan: Go (109)
Average person in US: Chess (408) or Ticket to Ride (112), which I think has become very close to mainstream.

Here's my very unscientific list of the number of hits I get doing a google search for the name of the game + "game":
Go: 717 million
Chess: 61 million
Monopoly: 60 million
Uno: 53 million
Poker: 42 million
Ticket to Ride: 25 million
Scrabble: 15 million
Candyland: 9.7 million
Pandemic: 8.1 million
Trivial Pursuit: 1.4 million
Codenames: 545k
Catan: 477k
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadae
msg tools
If we're including non-IP games then Go or Chess

If it's only IP games but the average person has a decent chance of recognizing, then probably Catan or Magic: The Gathering, or maybe Axis & Allies

If we're talking Monopoly or Clue levels of awareness here, then the answer is Scrabble, way down at rank 1445

(1,500 individual games were looked at and many Bothans died to bring this information)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith
United Kingdom
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just asked the lads in the canteen today.
1 said chess rank 408

2 mentioned warhammer 40k I found 8 editions so grabbed last one at rank 4,512

5 of them chose monopoly ranked 14,705

so is it chess with the highest rank or monopoly because more people chose it?

A good deed was done today as the two guys that picked Warhammer 40K are now arranging a battle after discovering they share the same hobby.
good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a geeklist I did almost exactly 10 years ago.

Go was ranked #22.
Crokinole was ranked #38.
Bridge was ranked #131.
Chess was ranked #196.
Mahjong was ranked #199.
Cribbage was ranked #253.
Xiangqi was ranked #301.
Poker was ranked #350.
Scrabble was ranked #549.
Stratego was ranked #1803.
Clue was ranked #3347.
Dominoes was ranked #3558.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27338/top-games-100-50-ye...

Here's another geeklist I did almost exactly 10 years ago.

Dune was ranked #47.
Acquire was ranked #52.
Civilization was ranked #60.
Squad Leader was ranked #114.
Diplomacy was ranked #150.
Cosmic Encounter was ranked #195.
The Russian Campaign was ranked #285.
Strat-O-Matic Baseball was ranked #323.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27258/top-games-100-25-ye...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw a prime time commercial on tv from the dutch biggest online retailer, promoting games for the holidays: Classic Monopoly, Escape Room the boardgame and Codenames.
If it gets put into in the same commercial as monopoly I think it’s safe to say it’s a mass market game, so yes Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"average person" is such a vague concept as to be almost useless. I think a lot of this would be determined by their socio-economic background and their geographic location.

You would get different answers in the inner city compared to suburbs compared to the country, older adults would have different answers than college students etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
Depending on which street

Favorite comment of the day. Perhaps the week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
goldspire wrote:

My money would be on Chess in the western world and Go in the east. Magic, Catan, Ticket to Ride would likely be restricted, if by nothing else a more recent generation. They just haven’t been around long enough to become part of the wider culture. Perhaps if you restricted the question to Germany?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
John Rogers wrote:
goldspire wrote:

My money would be on Chess in the western world and Go in the east. Magic, Catan, Ticket to Ride would likely be restricted, if by nothing else a more recent generation. They just haven’t been around long enough to become part of the wider culture. Perhaps if you restricted the question to Germany?

Everybody knows Catan (or Settlers as it's known) here in Denmark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigrillo wrote:
John Rogers wrote:
goldspire wrote:

Everybody knows Catan (or Settlers as it's known) here in Denmark.

The Opposition with Jordan Klepper (the guy who used to be an "anchor" on The Daily Show, who got his own spin off show by that name mentioned) did a very brief mention saying "... or why someone would enjoy playing Settlers Of Catan", so it's gotta have some traction if it was brought up to a more general audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
"average person" is such a vague concept as to be almost useless. I think a lot of this would be determined by their socio-economic background and their geographic location.

You would get different answers in the inner city compared to suburbs compared to the country, older adults would have different answers than college students etc.

remember, the "average" person has one testicle, one breast and less than 2 arms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess.

Most people don't know Go or Magic.

Pete (thinks Telestrations might actually be a possibility and #202, but thinks probably not)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.