Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
In S.W.O.R.D., a cooperative game, you will be working as an agency of recruiters of super heroes, who will need to protect the earth from nefarious super villains.

The game will be designed for 3-5 players, but may also play with fewer using some variation.

This game is going to have 2 phases.
Recruitment:
This is a drafting phase that uses a trick-taking mechanism.
Cards will be in 6 suits valued between 2 and 8. These suits represent a collection of super power categories and different powers within the categories.

When trick-taking, there are 8 mystery cards, with the silhouette of a hero or villain. Each trick taken will be placed on a mystery card.

When crafting a hero, a player may have up to 30 points (based on card values) to construct a hero of a single power category. If the hero has 2 power categories, the maximum point value is reduced to 27, and if 3 categories, 24 points. If 4 or more powers are played on a single mystery card, or if the card exceeds the allotted point value, it becomes a villain.

Otherwise, whoever takes the trick will have the option of recruiting the hero for the next phase. He may pass until later.

At the end of the phase, regardless of the outcome, 2-3 unchosen mystery tricks will become villains.

Direction: In this phase, your heroes go to work fighting villains to protect their world. And you get to attempt to direct them. Placing the cards in front of you, each has a reset value. This value will require you to exhaust--through play--a number of cards before the card can be reset to be used again.

A player's starting health is also determined by the total value of the cards in the trick.

Meanwhile, the villain's attack strength will be tied directly to a round counter. This means that the longer the heroes go without defeating the villain, the stronger the villain will become.

This game is being developed in collaboration, so the other details are yet to be ironed out. More to come...

Designer Note:
Though I would like to possibly enter this game into the 54 card game design contest, I will not yet commit to this pursuit, as this is a collaboration, and my team mate will have the deciding factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperative drafting is a dynamic I don't think I've seen before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.