Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Comments:

First, I've gotta say that I am VERY impressed by the component quality of this game!!! Wow... every single component is top notch. Compass is most definitely giving GMT a run for their money with this one!!!

The rulebook is not only printed on high quality stock, but it is well written, too! I know there are players out there that applaud rulebooks that use as few pages as possible. But I'm exactly the opposite... I applaud rulebooks that don't sacrifice clarity for brevity. So I really appreciate how this rulebook adds clarity by actually repeating many rules (oh, the horror!). You'll find the same rule repeated two or three times, in each section of the rulebook where it's applicable to game play. I like that. Good job.

The board, the blocks, the cards, and even all 618 stickers (arghh) are again, top quality. Good job! (BTW, this is my first C&C game, so I don't know if this level of quality is common for all games in the series... I did see one video where the guy was pleased that he didn't have to put stickers on the dice... Hmmm).

Questions:

1) Speaking of GMT above, I'm only curious, but does anyone know why GMT passed on publishing this addition to the C&C series? Or perhaps it wasn't even offered to GMT?
Regardless, as I said above, Compass Games is shining a light on themselves with this production. Now I wonder if GMT could've done any better?

2) Here's my only nitpick: Why oh why, are the Hessian blocks dark blue??? There's potential to confuse them with the wrong side.
In another Revolutionary War game of mine, the British are Red, the Hessians are orange, The Patriots are dark blue, and the French are light blue. This way, each side would share the same color palette. Makes things less confusing.

Which begs the question... when "the expansion" comes out, what color will the French be? Now that the Germans are locked-in as a blue color, I hope that the French don't follow suit by using a red-spectrum color!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was ok with the blocks after receiving them... the Hessians are easy enough for me to differentiate...

I was unhappy with the lack of sharpness of the stickers I received.
They seem a little blurry, not crisp like Ancients or Napoleonics.

RB licenses the C&C system by time period/title.
GMT has a hard enough time keeping other titles in print... They likely passed on Tricorne because their catalog is large enough... maybe someone in the know will chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

StevenE wrote:
I was unhappy with the lack of sharpness of the stickers I received. They seem a little blurry, not crisp like Ancients or Napoleonics.

Now that you mention it, I can see what you're talking about. Though I don't have any of the other C&C games to compare them to, so I still don't think they're that bad.

But still, here I thought that as I was stickering my 284th block, that it was only my middle-aged eyes that were becoming blurry due to fatigue!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

2) Here's my only nitpick: Why oh why, are the Hessian blocks dark blue???

because their uniform coats were dark blue.. called Hessian Blue.

Compass was in a trap here, either make the blocks same as uniform colour, and get complaints about being close to Continental colour, or make them Redish, and get complaints about not using uniform colours.

I mean the Red coats are red..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dauphinais
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The blurry effect is an artistic style. I have no problem with it.

I expect the French to appear on white blocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nittanyfan12
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Comments:
1) Speaking of GMT above, I'm only curious, but does anyone know why GMT passed on publishing this addition to the C&C series? Or perhaps it wasn't even offered to GMT?

GMT most likely isn't producing C&C: Tricorne because they're gearing up to release C&C: Medieval and its expansions starting next year. With GMT's continued support of C&C: Napoleonics and C&C: Ancients, I'd imagine it would have been a stretch to start planning two new C&C series at around the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

jimdauphinais wrote:
I expect the French to appear on white blocks.

Yeah, upon reading Mark's reply above, I figured that the French will blocks will probably be white. And if I had given my own question a little more thought (about the French color), I wouldn't have asked it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange would have made no sense for the Hessians. The only colors that might have worked would have been purple or grey (in that I have seen both used to represent German forces), but both would have been anachronistic or ahistoric for 18th century German troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

NimitsTexan wrote:
Orange would have made no sense for the Hessians.

I was only approaching the color issue from a perspective of practicality. It only makes sense to have blocks of different factions - but all of the same side - to share the same color family (or palette, if you will).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also disappointed with the blurriness of the sticker artwork. Everything else is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.