Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gary johnson
United States
Raymore
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Recently I encountered a game situation (two players) in which the level 1 cards all provided onyx. Yet none of the displayed cards required onyx! So onyx could not be immediately used. Level 2 was full of cards that required 5 or more blue to buy.

9 of 12 total displayed cards provided onyx!

Neither my wife nor I wanted to acquire the onyx cards. We tried hanging onto the blue gems.

Begrudgeonly, we started purchasing onyx because there was nothing else to do, but then more onyx cards were revealed! It was absurd!

The game proceded very slowly. It was going to take 2 to 3 times the length of a regular game.

Eventually, after screaming every time yet another onyx card was revealed, we agreed to stop playing.

Certainly, other people have encountered a situation like this, right? What did you do?

When this happens, it's insanely funny for the first 5 minutes, but then it gets really old. REALLY old.

Have we missed a rule that says what to do in this situation? Is there a mechanic for calling a mulligan and discarding an entire row of cards?

Certainly, this problem can be house ruled, but whoever plays next after a mulligan is declared would have a good advantage.

Any ideas?

Best,
Gary Johnson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If nobody wants to play, stop playing. You did that part right.

I think I probably would have seen it as a challenge and wanted to keep playing anyway, but who knows, maybe it would get too boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy statistical fluke games where distributions go differently from usual, so (like Bill) I wouldn't have regarded it as a problem either. (E.g. I think once we had a game of Greed where there were no gangster cards, or only 1, something like that. It was cool and different.)

Rulewise, there's nothing special about it. Simply follow the rules as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Seems like the sensical thing would be to buy some of the lower-cost cards to cycle through the decks and hope that more desirable ones come out. And like the other posters, I would have treated it as a challenge. I seriously doubt the game can end up in a state where nobody can do anything. But to each their own....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I think I probably would have seen it as a challenge and wanted to keep playing anyway, but who knows, maybe it would get too boring.

russ wrote:
I enjoy statistical fluke games where distributions go differently from usual, so (like Bill) I wouldn't have regarded it as a problem either. (E.g. I think once we had a game of Greed where there were no gangster cards, or only 1, something like that. It was cool and different.)

Rulewise, there's nothing special about it. Simply follow the rules as usual.

Pugnax555 wrote:
Seems like the sensical thing would be to buy some of the lower-cost cards to cycle through the decks and hope that more desirable ones come out. And like the other posters, I would have treated it as a challenge. I seriously doubt the game can end up in a state where nobody can do anything. But to each their own....

Same here. You can't always get what you want. These are the situations that most challenge the players. Play on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you have a couple of the right gems, reserve a 5 gem 2nd tier card, then reserve a couple of blind 2nd tier cards to get enough gold to buy it. Failing that reservevone of the cheap first tier cards to get a gold build it and reserve again until you have enough gold for a second tier card.

I often do this even when the first tier cards aren’t all the same, it is a quick way to 2 points
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aelfric Brewer
msg tools
mbmbmb
Zark wrote:
Assuming you have a couple of the right gems, reserve a 5 gem 2nd tier card, then reserve a couple of blind 2nd tier cards to get enough gold to buy it. Failing that reservevone of the cheap first tier cards to get a gold build it and reserve again until you have enough gold for a second tier card.

I often do this even when the first tier cards aren’t all the same, it is a quick way to 2 points

i suggest something similar - reserve whatever second deck 2 point card you think you can reach first, but if there's nothing else you want in the second row, start hitting the third (not first) deck for your other reserved cards.

but yes, everything in the second row will be worth points, and nothing in the second row will cost more than 8 chips. and you should be able to get the chips you need from the supply and gold, combined. which is to say, what to do? keep buying second row cards to cycle through the deck.

remember that if there is nothing you can (or want to) buy on the board, you can always just take some chips and then discard back down to 10. one way or another you can put together the chips you need to buy a deck 2 card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aelfric_brewer wrote:

remember that if there is nothing you can (or want to) buy on the board, you can always just take some chips and then discard back down to 10. one way or another you can put together the chips you need to buy a deck 2 card.

Or if nothing on show takes your fancy and you are feeling lucky reservev a face down card from the second row.

Actually this can be a really good tactic if your opponent doesn’t want any of the exposed cards either as it doesn’t give them a new card in the display to chose from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a decent hand of 6-8 gems (preferably different form your opponent), then go crazy reserving 1-3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.