Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I was wondering if there was any extra material that comes with the Victory Star Destroyer expansion that doesn't come with the base game? (leaders, weapons, etc)

I was planning on buying the VSD expansion, but another base game seems like a better decision. Getting another nebula b, cr90, base star destroyer , more dice and an extra tool seems like a good idea.

Thanks,

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you like flying squadrons, you can only get the 'Flight Controllers' upgrade in the VSD expansion so far. And those are kind of bonkers powerful. (Do not appear to be in either of the upcoming expansions, either, so...while I'd assume some other ship will get it, someday, it's at least a year off. If ever.)

The commander it comes with is Motti, and he's certainly still one of the top Imperial commanders in play.

Intel Officer is also an interesting upgrade, but that one also comes in the Nebulon-B expansion.

And another copy of the always-nice-to-have Gunnery Team, too (also in the core set and Assault Frigate Mk II expansion).

The ship, itself, is actually not bad, these days, with the appropriate upgrades. Add Quad Battery Turrets from the Quasar Fire expansion, and it's basically always shooting an extra blue dice at pretty much anyone, at any range. And Disposable Capacitors (from the same expansion) also lets the Victory-II put out a fairly impressive alpha strike. Both upgrades on the VSD-II bring it up to only 93 pts, which is one of the better buys for the Empire. And especially if you are running Jerjerrod as your Commander (Arquitens-class expansion) to improve its turning capability, it can stay in the fight really well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If you want the upgrade cards to play officially, get the VSD pack. If you are okay with proxying cards, get the core set for more stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...although I think to specifically answer the question on 'over another base set'...well, there is basically no reason to get another base set at all. Not just for the Victory, but the CR90 and Nebulon-B standalone expansions also have a number of unique cards you definitely want to get them for. Not to mention the '... Squadron I' expansions with more unique pilots for the core set ships, and additional ship types. The only think you'd specifically be getting of real value is an extra movement template that you can assemble as a shorter-speed version, and more dice. Both those things are sold on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you XanderF, that is exactly what I wanted to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a 2nd core because I decided to get 2 of everything. But that also included 2 of the expansions that were represented in the core. The reason to get another core over breaking out the expansions is because your price per ship is much cheaper. You can expand your fleet that much faster, and have more dice, and have another movement template basically for free.

But the expansions add the different upgrades and have their own value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The reason to get another core over breaking out the expansions is because your price per ship is much cheaper. You can expand your fleet that much faster, and have more dice, and have another movement template basically for free.

But the expansions add the different upgrades and have their own value.

That was my exact thoughts, but since the expansions come with their own unique content, I think I will go for the expansions instead. I will proabably end up buying the dice and movement tool as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Related but does not respond to your original post.

I wanted to beef up the amount of upgrade cards I had. There are people selling cards on Ebay that - yes, they are asking "trumped up" prices, but its a way of getting cards that you feel you want (or duplicates) without having to buy the expansion or settling for proxy cards. Now, the interesting part of this, is I eventually dove in and bought the expansion packs, making my online purchases somewhat redundant. Especially the leaders cards (one of's).

What is nice are the special tournament cards or whatever they are called. Some cards are cheap but the shipping is killer. Some cards are expensive but the shipping is acceptable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the very least I'd recommend one expansion of each ship. You get cards out of those packs that you woldn't have otherwise, in addition to the same type of ship.

Getting a second core set may get you three ships in one pack, along with the equipment, but you may end up with more fighter squadrons than you would actually need. For the things that you would want repeats of separately, they are provided seperately (movement tool, dice). In fact you may find after buying several expansions that you are overloaded with equipment you do not need. I have several small ship bases I've never assembled because I just re-use ones from ships I bought earlier.

Regarding the VSD in particular... it is not a ship that will be carrying your list. You can make the argument that the VSD is a standardized cruiser, but at the higher levels of the game, something like an Imperial Star Destroyer or a fully upgraded Gladiator (with the Demolisher title) do more damage for more efficient points.

Still, there are list types that can take advantage of VSDs, just don't upgrade them as heavily. I would still recommend the expansion for Motti and the other upgrade cards, and it is a beautiful star destroyer model.

If nothing else, you can have a separate VSD model on-hand to use after the mast antenna breaks on your first one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
If nothing else, you can have a separate VSD model on-hand to use after the mast antenna breaks on your first one.

He's not lying! I've lost at least two along the way! robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
In the very least I'd recommend one expansion of each ship. You get cards out of those packs that you woldn't have otherwise, in addition to the same type of ship.

Getting a second core set may get you three ships in one pack, along with the equipment, but you may end up with more fighter squadrons than you would actually need. For the things that you would want repeats of separately, they are provided seperately (movement tool, dice). In fact you may find after buying several expansions that you are overloaded with equipment you do not need. I have several small ship bases I've never assembled because I just re-use ones from ships I bought earlier.

Regarding the VSD in particular... it is not a ship that will be carrying your list. You can make the argument that the VSD is a standardized cruiser, but at the higher levels of the game, something like an Imperial Star Destroyer or a fully upgraded Gladiator (with the Demolisher title) do more damage for more efficient points.

Still, there are list types that can take advantage of VSDs, just don't upgrade them as heavily. I would still recommend the expansion for Motti and the other upgrade cards, and it is a beautiful star destroyer model.

Thanks for the input! I ended up going with the VSD for the upgrade cards. I'm not planning on buying any expansions past wave 2, so I think it should hold as a viable option in the imperial fleet. (although I don't know much about this game yet) I still have to get the nebula b, the corvette expansion, a second movement tool, some dice, and both side's fighter squads to finish wave 1&2. Hopefully this will end up being more than satisfactory for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 core armada isn't really worth it.
You want 1 of each expansion to pick up the various cards that are restricted to just those expansions.

If you buy 1 of everything, you end up with 2 victory and 2 neb-b's. And honestly you never need more than 2 of either of those ships.

The armada core isn't a bad deal. The ships, dice, tool = $98, so it's a wash, but if you have 3 nebs and 3 victories of which 1 or 2 of both never see a table...then you just wasted money on stuff that won't be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kmanweiss wrote:
If you buy 1 of everything, you end up with 2 victory and 2 neb-b's. And honestly you never need more than 2 of either of those ships.

You'll also end up with 2x CR90s if you buy one of everything. I believe the core set includes 1x Victory, Neb-B, and CR90.

And now, when it's eventually released, buying the Chimera will net you two ISDs. Assuming you bought the first ISD expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Palmer
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about getting a 2nd core at say $45?

I have chance to get couple rogues expansion packs cheap. Would it be silly to own 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.