Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kylie
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They already enjoy Catan, Risk, Survive and ticket to ride.

They may enjoy 7th wonders, and Fuse Flatline.

What else will be a medium heavy game, possibly co-operative, that they can grow with a bit as the youngest ages? Perhaps more guts than standard lighter party games.

I think they are familiar with Forbidden desert/Island, and I 'm going to show them Sushi GO Party, but I'm hoping to find something meatier for them.

TIA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L B
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinels of the Multiverse was the favorite co-op for my boys when they were that age and they both still enjoy it at ages 13 and almost 17. I wouldn't call it medium-heavy at all, but it's definitely got a lot more meat to it than Sushi Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories. Started my kids on this a few years ago at 9 and 11 and they still really like it (upped the difficulty) even now at 12 and 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle is a nice introductory co-op deck-builder if your kids are going to enjoy the theme. Fabled Fruit is similar but not co-op.

Pandemic: The Cure is a shorter, dice-rolling version of Pandemic. The original is also great, or Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu for a more horror-themed offering. All are co-op.

Aeon's End might be a good fit, there's a lot of planning and strategizing necessary which could be beyond your 9-year-old. Co-operative.

Star Trek Panic has some added layers of complexity over straight Castle Panic - which is a light game w/o the expansions - and of course a space theme with shields and lasers and all that good stuff. Both are co-ops.

The Quest for El Dorado is a race/deck-builder with a modular board, which makes for lots of possible variations despite its small card pool. Competitive rather than co-op, though not directly confrontational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
+1 Aeon's End
Smash Up - Just make sure you throw in an expansion or two.
Hero Realms - Fantasy "skirmish" deck builder that also has a co-op campaign now.
Valeria: Card Kingdoms - on the lighter side, similar to Machi Koro with a fantasy them. If they like Catan, they are sure to like this one.
Small World - There's not a whole lot going on here but still a solid pick. Depending on what race you choose makes for interesting decisions.
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Legendary

Nexus Ops, though decidedly non-cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bolland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
PLAY
badge
Loooooooooooooooon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cooperative:

+1 Pandemic (definitely a great next step from Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert)

Take a look at these too:

Burgle Bros. (Try to pull off the perfect heist)
Yggdrasil (Norse gods defending Asgard)
Mousquetaires du Roy (Three Musketeers)

Competitive:

+1 Small World

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Pandemic.

You may also try Unlock! Escape Adventures and should definitely have a look at Legends of Andor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (+ expansions) ( there is even a digital version for ipad, android, and pc)

Arcadia Quest

Robinson Crusoe ( It will be a bit of work for you to learn, but teaching it to your kids shouldn't be difficult.)

Defenders of the Realm ( be sure to use rule summary's as the rule book leaves a lot to be desired. )

Pandemic

Clank!

Codenames

Sentinels of the Multiverse (also on ipad, android, and pc)

Imperial Assault

Descent 2nd ed.

Castles of mad king ludwig

7 wonders

Lords of Waterdeep (get the meeple upgrade for this for a better presentation)

Escape

Legendary a marvel deck building game

Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions is great coop game with video game-y feeling (each player controls a mech, kills minions to level up and gets damaged by the said minions). The initial programming might be challenging but it will be worth the effort. I play this with my 8-years old son and he took it like duck into water.

Arcadia Quest is a PvP game. Each player controls a guild of three heroes and tries to complete the scenario's objectives while killing other players' heroes.

There is another game in AQ's world: Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia. It is a dungeon crawler game which can be played cooperatively or competitively. Heroes from Masmorra can be used in AQ games, so that's a great bonus!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.