Andreas Hellström
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After three not-finished playthroughs of the "Make Yourselves at home" scenario I'm still struggling with the rules. Now it's the red cubes and iconography on the facilities that's giving me a headache.

1. First of all, the icons to the left of the red cube slot (energy, O2, cog wheel, cpu) don't really mean anything (in terms of resolving actions and effects), do they? I mean, it's the icons to the right that decide what happens, right?

2. If I repair a System Block facility, I need to take a Build action, that much is clear. But is that build action considered to take place in the Working Bay or in the System Block facility I'm repairing? Or maybe both?

3. Continuing on question 2, let's say there are red cubes in the Working Bay, do I have to deal with those cubes (i.e. the icons to the right) in addition to the red cubes in the facility I'm repairing?

4. Same question for Upgrading. Let's say I upgrade the Med Lab (with a build action), and there are red cubes in both Working Bay and the Med Lab. What excatly happens?

5. The Farm and the wilting icons on the energy and O2 row. If there's a red cube on the O2-slot and I want to plant a seed, do I need to resolve wilting? And if so, do I resolve wilting first (moving all seeds down) and then place my new planted seed on slot 1?

6. The cog wheel (hardware) row in the Working Block, the rulebook says it's resolved in the Production phase (if there are any red cubes there). But are those resolved in the Action Phase as well, if I take an action there?

7. Continuing on question 6, let's say there's a red cube in the cog wheel (hardware) row in the Control Center (increase malfunction icon on the right side) and I take an action there, do I increase the malfunction track?

8. Can one ever take an action on a System Block facility (i.e Oxygenerator, Solar Panel, Farm)?

Aaahh.. so many things are unclear to me! But a really inconsistent iconography and not the best rulebook make all this harder than it should be. The same icon seems to mean different things, depending on which facility it belongs to or which phase it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Calcagno
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Andreas,

1. First of all, the icons to the left of the red cube slot (energy, O2, cog wheel, cpu) don't really mean anything (in terms of resolving actions and effects), do they? I mean, it's the icons to the right that decide what happens, right?
Those icon do affect play. If it is an energy or oxygen symbol with a red cube, you need to supply an action done there with a resource from your general supply. If it is a hardware or CPU, you must repair the red cube with a spare part. (The icons to the left "make that Facility work, for lack of a better term. The icons to the right are the result of having a red cube, so if it is a "ladder icon" it affects your malfunction roll; if a down arrow, you have greenhouse wilting,; or a check mark makes you reroll a success die...also increases stress, etc.

2. If I repair a System Block facility, I need to take a Build action, that much is clear. But is that build action considered to take place in the Working Bay or in the System Block facility I'm repairing? Or maybe both?
My opinion is that it is triggered in the Working Bay as a Build action.

3. Continuing on question 2, let's say there are red cubes in the Working Bay, do I have to deal with those cubes (i.e. the icons to the right) in addition to the red cubes in the facility I'm repairing?
Yes, if the Working Bay is damaged, it affects all your Build actions, and hence the thing you are trying to fix...

4. Same question for Upgrading. Let's say I upgrade the Med Lab (with a build action), and there are red cubes in both Working Bay and the Med Lab. What excatly happens?
You'd need to spend the required resources to make that Build action work... If you build an Upgrade with a red cube on an O2 space of the working bay, you need to spend an oxygen from general supply to make the Build action effective (you are bringing an oxygen container inthe working bay to do the Build...

5. The Farm and the wilting icons on the energy and O2 row. If there's a red cube on the O2-slot and I want to plant a seed, do I need to resolve wilting? And if so, do I resolve wilting first (moving all seeds down) and then place my new planted seed on slot 1?
Whenever a red cube affects wilting, you must decrease every seed being grown plus you lose a plant to the #6 slot of the Growth Track. So, if wilting is occurring, I do not think you can add a seed to the bottom of the Growth Track because it would theoretically immediate wilt and fall off (I THINK....)whistle

6. The cog wheel (hardware) row in the Working Block, the rulebook says it's resolved in the Production phase (if there are any red cubes there). But are those resolved in the Action Phase as well, if I take an action there?
It's been a while since I played, so someone needs to answer this or I might give you a wrong answer.cry

7. Continuing on question 6, let's say there's a red cube in the cog wheel (hardware) row in the Control Center (increase malfunction icon on the right side) and I take an action there, do I increase the malfunction track?
I believe the malfunction track is affected whether you take an action there or not... But someone needs to confirm that answer.

8. Can one ever take an action on a System Block facility (i.e Oxygenerator, Solar Panel, Farm)?
Not sure I understand this question completely, but for example you can take the plant a seed action on the Farm or take a Build action to fix a red cube.....

Hope this helps. I made an Icon Summary sheet uploaded to the Files section below, if that helps.

link to icon summary: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/149691/icon-guide-fir...
Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The symbols to the left of the cube (Lighting, O2, Gear, Chip) are there just to help you identify what part it is. In this way the game can tell you what exactly is breaking (ex. Break the Oxygen part in the Working Bay, means you need to put a red cube in the little hole to the right of the O2 symbol on the tile called "Working Bay"). It's just a mean of communication. The symbol to the right, instead, is the negative effect of that part being broken.

No, you do not need to resolve the wilting just for planting a seed.

If the O2 part of the Farm is broken, you need to spend oxygen every turn during the Production Phase to avoid wilting. Same goes for Electricity, if that part is broken. Once you spent that resource, the wilting is stopped for the entire turn.

No, they are resolved only in the Production Phase

No, they are only resolved during the Malfunction Phase

System Block Facilities do not provide actions. So if that's what you mean, you cannot take actions there. However you can take a Build action on them to repair a broken part. If this is what you meant, then yes.

In general: I see that you have many questions, but most of them have to do with the place where you take actions.

As a general rule, you're taking the action EXCLUSIVELY in the room that grants you that action, even if then you're "going somewhere else to do it".

Therefore you only need to resolve the effects of the broken parts in the room that you're using to take the action and it works like this:
- Electricity or Oxygen: You have to spend one of the matching resource for each action you're taking there.
- Malfunction Icon: Nothing. It applies in the Malfunction Phase.
- Gear Icon (Working Block): Nothing. It applies in the Production Phase.
- Success Icon: Even if you use two pawns, you need to roll the Success die to see if you succeed or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Hellström
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge thanks for the answers!

Quote:
No, they are resolved only in the Production Phase

No, they are only resolved during the Malfunction Phase

Yeah, I figured those icons would have effect only in Production Phase / Malfunction Phase, but I wasn't certain. I couldn't really tell just from the rulebook whether you also applied these effects when taking an action.

Quote:
As a general rule, you're taking the action EXCLUSIVELY in the room that grants you that action, even if then you're "going somewhere else to do it".

Therefore you only need to resolve the effects of the broken parts in the room that you're using to take the action and it works like this:
- Electricity or Oxygen: You have to spend one of the matching resource for each action you're taking there.
- Malfunction Icon: Nothing. It applies in the Malfunction Phase.
- Gear Icon (Working Block): Nothing. It applies in the Production Phase.
- Success Icon: Even if you use two pawns, you need to roll the Success die to see if you succeed or not.

Great explanation. It all makes sense now.

By the way, I have just finished my 4th playthrough of Making Yourselves At Home. And guess what? I finished it! There were no rules issues that stopped me this time! I ploughed through, and I think my initial hurdle with the rules is over. Now I can start playing and enjoying the game. Hurray! "A Guessing Game" is up next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tufduck wrote:
Great explanation. It all makes sense now.

By the way, I have just finished my 4th playthrough of Making Yourselves At Home. And guess what? I finished it! There were no rules issues that stopped me this time! I ploughed through, and I think my initial hurdle with the rules is over. Now I can start playing and enjoying the game. Hurray! "A Guessing Game" is up next!

Glad I could help! It definitively takes a bit to wrap your head around the rules, but once it's done everything becomes very smooth actually

Good luck with the next scenario! It's a good one
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.