Claustrophobia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Is this game broken? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm new to this game and have played the beginners scenario a few times before taking on the next, 'Holding Back the Invasion'. I played the demons and my wife managed to complete the quest without sustaining a single scratch. The reason, I was unable to put any of my forces on the board bar one. Rules state that I can't place troglodytes on a tile containing a human character and they have to enter the tile through an unexplored entrance. The only other ways of entering a tile is via the Burrowing Monsters action where you need exactly 11 through a combination of dice results, or placing a tough troglodyte via an action card (the only way I managed to get an enemy on the board) and via a Lair tile.
Perhaps it was just bad luck but no Lair tiles came out, I couldn't role the right points on the dice to make 11 and my wife managed to produce an enclosed cavern system spreading out her characters to prevent me from entering through any open unexplored entrances.
I basically just sat there, played with my dice and built up my TPs or took action cards which, for the most part, didn't really do me any favours or just delayed the inevitable. My wife kept exploring keeping unexplored openings to a minimum until she drew the dead end stash tile.
So, where did I go wrong? Was there something I could have done differently to have made this more of a fight?
What would have been more challenging, at least for the human player was to assign a character as the one holding the explosives rather than having all the characters having them. As far as I can see there is only two outcomes to this scenario, either the humans blow up the pit entrance or they don't which means the demon player has to kill all of the human characters, no easy task, thats assuming they get any demons on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is definitely not broken and is fairly well regarded.

Unfortunately, it's been too many years since I've played that I can't answer your individual situation. Hopefully, someone more current will step-in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'Supernatural speed' and 'A taste for blood'. Did you consider those at all?
Anyhow, there are times when a scenario might feel like a breeze for one of the two players, but that's usually due to the luck of the tile-draw and it doesn't occur that often (at such degree!).
My opinion: Play it again! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
The only other ways of entering a tile is via the Burrowing Monsters action where you need exactly 11 through a combination of dice results...

I think that you missed that A Taste for Blood (dice adding up to 7) allows you to enter unexplored entrances even if there are human players there. The odds of rolling dice that total to 7 are very, very high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
'Supernatural speed' and 'A taste for blood'. Did you consider those at all?

Bingo. When placing trogs, A Taste for Blood allows the Demon Player to ignore human warriors, and Burrowing Monsters allows him to ignore unexplored exits.

I wrote a detailed account of the play of a completed game; it might help with understanding how a number of rules work: The Dirty 1/4 Dozen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
The only other ways of entering a tile is via the Burrowing Monsters action where you need exactly 11 through a combination of dice results...

I think that you missed that A Taste for Blood (dice adding up to 7) allows you to enter unexplored entrances even if there are human players there. The odds of rolling dice that total to 7 are very, very high.

Okay, I misinterpreted the rule description for the A Taste for Blood action, I thought it meant that, somehow the humans had an ability that prevented the trogs from entering the room. So that makes sense and makes the game a little easier to play. But can I confirm, the total must be 7, not 7+? In Joshua's post he mentions 11+ for Burrowing Monsters, but I think it's supposed to be 11 exactly.
Joshua also mentions the entrance tile allows trog placement, I've not read that anywhere in the rules, when you say entrance tile, is that the first tile placed or specifically the Pentacle Room. Oh, and while I'm on the subject of this tile, it says it can hold 5 warriors of each side instead of three, so have I missed another rule somewhere which states a max of three each per tile, except of course the tight tunnel?
One last thing, this restriction the number of characters on a tile, this is applied AFTER the characters have finished their movement, so I can, for argument sake, bring 6 trogs onto the board and then spread them out so that the max for the tile is met?

I did say I was a newbie, didn't I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
.. is here!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
Okay, I misinterpreted the rule description for the A Taste for Blood action, I thought it meant that, somehow the humans had an ability that prevented the trogs from entering the room. So that makes sense and makes the game a little easier to play. But can I confirm, the total must be 7, not 7+? In Joshua's post he mentions 11+ for Burrowing Monsters, but I think it's supposed to be 11 exactly.
Joshua also mentions the entrance tile allows trog placement, I've not read that anywhere in the rules, when you say entrance tile, is that the first tile placed or specifically the Pentacle Room. Oh, and while I'm on the subject of this tile, it says it can hold 5 warriors of each side instead of three, so have I missed another rule somewhere which states a max of three each per tile, except of course the tight tunnel?
One last thing, this restriction the number of characters on a tile, this is applied AFTER the characters have finished their movement, so I can, for argument sake, bring 6 trogs onto the board and then spread them out so that the max for the tile is met?

I did say I was a newbie, didn't I

-Yes. 7 and 11 need to be exact!
-The pentacle tile allows for up to 5 units of each side to be on it at once (instead of 3) 'BUT' all other rules apply as normal.
-You may bring as many trogs as you want during your turn, but no more than the maximum unit limit on each tile (usually 3). Threat phase-> Action phase. page 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Nash
United States
Manor
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I completely made up that pentacle room bit. Sorry about that.

I’m thinking it popped in because I’ve never seen the condemned players camp out on the entrance. So I’ve usually found that it has an unexplored edge.

Also, you’re correct that the 11 must be exact. But like I said, it’ll happen with three dice thrown. And as was previously mentioned, a roll of 7 gets trogs on the board as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:

No. You bring them on in the Threat Phase, and the Tunnel Size limits must be applied during placement. The limit applies during movement as well, but you can move and attack with one trog before moving the next. That gives you some flexibility.

For example, lets say a trog starts in the Tight Tunnel with a human. It could attack, and move out, then another trog could move in and attack. If it's a suicide attack, you could then move another trog in and attack once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
But that example would only work for the Trogs if they have the Elusive ability afforded to them via the Resistance is Futile action. Correct?

And I have to bring on all my Demons onto the board in one go before I start to move or fight with them, so the limits of 1, 3 or 5 would apply before these actions have been taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
But that example would only work for the Trogs if they have the Elusive ability afforded to them via the Resistance is Futile action. Correct?

Nope, you can leave if numbers are equal. You need to be Elusive to leave a tile if you are outnumbered. Here's where the designer confirmed that way back when: Re: Blocking Rule

Zombie_Spawn wrote:
And I have to bring on all my Demons onto the board in one go before I start to move or fight with them, so the limits of 1, 3 or 5 would apply before these actions have been taken.

Correct. Stick to the sequence of play and you'll do fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stone
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the way my wife plays it the numbers will never be equal, she likes to spread out rather than stay in a group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Logan
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie_Spawn wrote:
the way my wife plays it the numbers will never be equal, she likes to spread out rather than stay in a group!

Remember that the blocking rule applies to humans as well (although 2 of the humans have Elusive too), so if she's splitting up you should be able to slow a couple of her dudes down by outnumbering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Danila
United States
Sierra Vista
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
She will probably change her strategy when you play closer to the way the rules were intended and give the trogs a more powerful effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.