Hide
4 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Cubic's quickfight variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cubics Rube
msg tools
So in the spirit of a quick dark souls variant, I plan to test out the following variant.

5 Sparks

Bonfire tile and miniboss tile only.

No mob fights.

Start with 10 souls and lay out 4 items available for purchase (uses my item shop variant).

Fight the (mini)boss. Die.

Gain another 10 souls and lay out another 4 items.

Repeat.

You have 5 sparks to get enough items and upgrades.

-
It's not until i get to the boss fights that things get interesting in the game, imo, and the strategy comes out. With a variant of this sort, you jump straight into it and you either make it in 5 tries or you don't.

I expect this would play in about an hour, but will confirm when i get a chance to test it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Marney
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did a good bit of testing on boss rush variants, and 10 souls + 4 shared items is pretty reasonable for a miniboss. A good rule of thumb I found is that each boss should be worth 2 souls per level 1 encounter, 4 per level 2, and 8 per level 3 encounter printed on the boss card. So the Gargoyle would be 10 souls, the Winged Knight 12, and the Titanite Demon 14. Since you have a shop, you can cut some of those rewards. The same also holds true for main bosses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubics Rube
msg tools
Thanks Robert. Good to see your numbers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cubics Rube
msg tools
So we tested with 4 players with 32 souls and 16 cards to choose from before facing the gargoyle miniboss.

This allowed us to finish the gargoyle in one pass, although it was a little close.

I think starting with 10 souls and 4 cards could work, but itd be on the low side. Particularly as most minibosses have a 2 defense, your only chance of damaging them with a starting weapon would be to get the extra black die by hitting the weak arc.

We did however enjoy it immensley without the minion grind i think even if you die a few times you reaply get to know the bosses moveset and can plan your tactics much better each time.

I'm leaning towards this as becoming my go to mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.