12 Posts

Fallout» Forums » General

Subject: Solo replay Life/Value ? and at $75 ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Halifax
msg tools
mbmb
Just wondering... as I've been reading there are limited encounter cards, especially the "core" cards. Suggestions of playing twice before knowing what's coming.

So... what kind of life will this game have, or is it more like a legacy game,

once you play it 2 maybe 3 times, there's not a lot of incentive to play again....

unlike games like Pandemic that replies on the randomness of the gameplay and very little on storyline ?

It's a very high price tag for what the game appears to be, but I wanna like/want it (grin,) but not if there's more bang for the buck out there.

Thanks kindly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony DiNardo
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I imagine like many for these adventure style board games from FFG, repeatability might be a little more limited right out of the core box (although you do have, at minimum, 4 scenarios worth of fundamental story variation, as well as the more minor variation of side quests), but will grow exponentially as expansions are released.

I remember when Eldritch Horror first came out, the limited number of combinations made it fall flat after a few games, as you could anticipate almost everything, but now with 6 expansions, you'd have a better chance of winning the lottery than playing the same game twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If you manage to click exactly on my avatar's eye, you will win a special prize! Be careful though, as the penalty for missing it is severe.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a legacy game. There are 100 quest cards and 20 vault quest cards. Unlike most games, these cards do not come out linearly, they are more like a tree with many branches, and each card has multiple options on it (which will introduce new cards based on which choice you pick. Fantasy Flight has added a mechanism that makes it so you are never sure of the outcomes of the actions on the cards (or so I heard, I haven't opened my copy yet).

there are also four scenarios to play in. (the commonwealth, the pitt, far harbor, and the capital wasteland) There should be plenty of replay ability here. There will also be expansions that will most likely bring the game to a new level. (its Fantasy Flight)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Day
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scotiangamer1 wrote:
It's a very high price tag for what the game appears to be, but I wanna like/want it (grin,) but not if there's more bang for the buck out there.

Not sure where you're getting $75, but I paid $60.

I'd say this is more like a $40 game with a $20 licence upcharge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Halifax
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all.

Price, here it is 64 plus tax, that's 74 before 12 shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I've just played my 6th game, all solo.

I've played each scenario once and the first and third twice. Although I died fairly early in the third scenario on the first try and I've been playing with perma-death.

I have seen roughly 1/3 of the cards. The generic starting encounters are starting to be familiar, but they aren't terribly complex anyway. The real meat of the game comes in the encounters that get added

It's less about seeing the quest cards than it will be about eventually following all the quest chains.

I think there's a chunk of replay in it, but if you're primarily interested in reading new story, there's less of it.

The base adventure game is a lot of fun and I can see continuing to play it even after I know what most of the quest cards do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Halifax
msg tools
mbmb
Luke that's what I mean.
After you've explored and know midterm for the cqrds, is there still a fun, challenging game? Pandemic legacy, after you know the story, you still havery a Pandemic game you can enjoy. Buthe one games, the challenge comes from not knowing what to expect. Skme, even though you know, the order they cone and the challenge of the actYale encounterror requirements give the game it's game ... if you get my neaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6 games in with 5 being multiplayer and we haven't seen every card yet. When we do, there are 2 and 3 choices on every card. I think we will need around 20 to 30 plays to see everything. This only scratches the surface of Fallout. So much more content to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My memory is so bad that this concern is such a non-issue....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Halifax
msg tools
mbmb
Ha ha ha ha.....
I guess it doesn't matter to goldfish and us folks over age .......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Benziger
United States
Oakdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I payed $48 plus tax in California thanks to gamestop.

When it comes to solo plays, I tried it out this morning. It's okay but it needs some expansions for the agenda deck in my opinion. I am thinking about customizing the solo agenda deck, especially since some of the cards do not make sense in a solo game. I won pretty handily with getting three cards and advancing the Star faction to the end and the shield only moving to space 4. (9 influence) Then having another card with 6 letters of S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (2 influence). However that was luck of the draw of the cards, I realize that. The other thing that needs an expansion is the starting encounter deck. And more monsters. Here's hoping for a New Vegas expansion, the game seems ripe for it, however I find it interesting that FFG hasn't announced and expansion yet. I mean most of the time they announce a product they tell you what the whole pipeline looks like from the beginning. Must be waiting to see if it sells or not. If you are only buying it for solo, I think you should wait unless you fallout. The game worked better 2 player IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.