Sorcerer» Forums » General

Subject: Lets design alternate game mechanics and new game formats! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leto Atreides
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
When I heard about the Battle Royal format I was intrigued! A few dead simple rule changes and we have an additional format that can keep the game fresh.

That got me thinking, can we come up with another format that (best case) would be good enough to be included in the official manual as a supported format, or (likely case) become an interesting unofficial rule variant?

Most of us have not played Sorcerer yet, but if you have watched the videos and read all of the information about it, you should have a good enough grasp on the mechanics to throw out some ideas.

I haven't thought of a full game mode, but I do have a few modifiers that might make things feel new again.

Sudden Death:
Only one battlefield is required to win.

Sharpshooter:
Critical hits cannot be rerolled as the result of an Omen token.

Home team:
The energy cost to play minions or cards that are directed at the battlefield where your avatar is, is reduced by 1 (or alternatively, increased by 1 on the other battlefields).

What do you think? Do you have any ideas for alternate mechanics or game modes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dougherty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Cool ideas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jt Crawford
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It would be really cool to see a mode that pits me and a buddy against an ai of some sort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna LaDelpha
Canada
flag msg tools
Great idea!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil scahtten
msg tools
mb
I was thinking of using the energy points of the cards instead of the die to resolve combat. I'm not that fond of die so I thought we play a card from hand add it to the value of the red icon and that is the combat value for the attacker. The defender uses the value from the green icon. Then we compare our value with the other players value and the differance of the values is the wound count that the defender gets.

E.g.

P1 uses "Vengeful mummy" (R I value 2) to attack "soul shadow" from P2 (G I value 1)
Player 1 uses "Pact with the jackal" to boost the attack by 1. P2 uses "shadowcaster" to boost defence by 1. Mummy: 2+1=3 / Soul shadow 1+1=2 / 3-2 = 1 ==> 1 wound on soul shadow.
If the difference is 2+ that damage is a crit.

But since we dont have the rules yet I'm not sure if this will work and I don't know if the energy points are somewhat balanced in the decks, I saw that some big cards cost 8 energy.... probably wont work. But I thought it was a good idea to speed the game up

Or we could use omens to add to the combat value or by using an omen token that palyer can use another card form the top of the deck to boost the attack/defence value.. not sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Gonzalez
msg tools
Maybe also something that allows you to discard an attachment attached to a unit to double the effects for one attack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leto Atreides
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
jcgzzc wrote:
Maybe also something that allows you to discard an attachment attached to a unit to double the effects for one attack

That sounds more like an effect that could be part of a Skill card. Something like:

Expend/Overdrive:
Destroy an attachment on a minion you control to double its potency until the end of turn.

scahtten wrote:
I was thinking of using the energy points of the cards instead of the die to resolve combat. I'm not that fond of die

As you mention later in your post, the values on the cards (like energy) are likely not designed with a use case like this in mind so the games balance could swing either direction with completely broken cards. That being said, the addition of Omen tokens in this game makes the die roll less random. You could tweak this somewhat. Maybe:

One Wish:
An opponent can only use an Omen token on a specific die once (cannot force you to reroll a reroll, etc...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil scahtten
msg tools
mb
latreides, yea I also think that the game balance may fail by using my mechanic. We will jsut have to see how the cards are designed when the game appears. Was just an idea I had to make the game more swift and I still hope it somehow can work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Andersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I was gonna suggest a two-headed giant format, similar to how it works in MTG, but it seems that is already the standard way to handle 4-player games.

I think you could quite easily do the 4-player format with just 2 players, you just mix 2 of each type of deck together. This will probably be really unbalanced or downright unplayable, like how is the Bloodlord ever gonna get any cards that builds his bloodpool, when there are 60 other cards in the deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil scahtten
msg tools
mb
What I was thinking about my mechanic... perhaps we can use the "big" cards (don't know if they can be called legendery) to be determined as crits. Crits will automatically win the battle and kill a minion regardless of the battle outcome plus 2 wounds on the board.
But still I will wait til I have all cards and see how the ratios are, before getting too much into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ville E
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been thinking, how to play 3-4 player game FFA. I'm not really sold on the battlefields between players.. This is what I've come up with so far:

Dominion
Instead of damage, you need to dominate a battlefield. 12 domination points win the battlefield. After rolling attack dice, opponents can in clockwise order assign damage to their minions, if they want. Any leftover is converted to DPs

There's a problem with ties and maybe too many omen tokens... But this could give you a feel for that chaotic 3-way war which I enjoy very much. You know, backstabbing a friend only to get backstabbed and punched in the face!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil scahtten
msg tools
mb
About the 3 player match.. how about a battlefield in a triangular shape??? If needed with some more lifepoints on it.. a battle royal all vs all on 1 single battlefield. I think it would be quite chaotic and interesting to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.