Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the app don't get me wrong but it feels rushed, now before you send the marines let me speak please..

Weren't you guys disappointed that it had no Star Wars crawl ? Or voice over instead of just text ? Great app don't get me wrong but it's Star Wars the decent app blows it out of the water, I assume it will add voice over in the future.

It just feels like the last part of a beta build and they didn't add the doohickeys yet, anyone agree ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Best
United States
Brandon
FL
flag msg tools
Funny. I was just thinking the same thing about it after playing the first mission. Guess my expectations were too high because I just expected more. No voices, weak first mission and still doesn't feel very "Star Warsy" to me.

I also think FFG needs to hire better writers. The story so far and especially that first mission was just as dull as can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary McCloskey
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest all apps are beta anymore. They might add a voice to it then again they might not. It just depends on if it would violate the EA rights to making star wars video games. They could cause problems with FFG over that. I don't know the legal ruling on these matters but it could cause FFG problems if it violates their licensing. Just like FFG can't sell IA on their website because of Hasbro's rights to making star wars board games which IA is not but that is what I guess they had to do to get the game published. It would be nice if they did add a voice to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only agree with the lack of voice over. That was really something I was taking for granted. All the rest I don't agree. It doesn't feel rushed to me, I was never expecting star wars crawl and I do like the campaign so far (just finished the second mission and to me it feels a lot like star wars because of the caracters).

But that is the beauty of it all, different expectations, different point of view. I only hope they can keep up the app with improvements as support for all miniature packs (yes, this was another thing that got me disapointed) and specially new campaigns. So far, however, it looks like the actual campaign has a good variety. At least I hope that all the time I'm making choices, it is taking me to a different branch than if I was making another choice. I'll have to play it again later to confirm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wouldn't mind the crawl or a voice over, but as it's for free, I don't mind. I would agree it felt rushed though from the number of bugs. I only started the tutorial to check it out without actually playing, but had a number of graphical bugs that kept getting worse so that I couldn't read all the text and instructions. Hopefully it's just a problem on my android and the Steam version will be better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So because there is a kind of lack in voice overs, ... this App is "rushed".

Anyone who even has a REMOTE understanding of programming language should be ROFL at the moment.

I also love the second remark that it could be a "licensing" problem again... really...

After having been brain washed that the SW App would NEVER come over the past 2 years, I still have to endure these rumours even AFTER the App was released (and even after 3 years OTHER SW Apps were released for other SW FFG games... ).

Well, I guess moaning about nothing is a trend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There probably is a licensing issue with the music though. I do believe John Williams owns the rights to the Star Wars music, completely separate from the rights to making Star Wars boardgames. I bet licensing that music is expensive and so was cheaper to make "generic" space music.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Beeeee
msg tools
mbmbmb
Aren’t there crawl creators out there that you could use instead?
I remember people doing that for the core box and I am sure someone will create one for the campaign of the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supersayian wrote:
To be honest all apps are beta anymore. They might add a voice to it then again they might not. It just depends on if it would violate the EA rights to making star wars video games. They could cause problems with FFG over that. I don't know the legal ruling on these matters but it could cause FFG problems if it violates their licensing. Just like FFG can't sell IA on their website because of Hasbro's rights to making star wars board games which IA is not but that is what I guess they had to do to get the game published. It would be nice if they did add a voice to the game.

Ok, glad you brought that up, that's another issue, if FFG made this game with constraints that would make David Copperfield cringe why did they even do this ? I keep reading how EA has a huge boot on the necks of FFG regarding what to do with this app, didn't FFG ask Disney "hey I assume this app is going to be smooth sailing"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:
So because there is a kind of lack in voice overs, ... this App is "rushed".

Anyone who even has a REMOTE understanding of programming language should be ROFL at the moment.

I also love the second remark that it could be a "licensing" problem again... really...

After having been brain washed that the SW App would NEVER come over the past 2 years, I still have to endure these rumours even AFTER the App was released (and even after 3 years OTHER SW Apps were released for other SW FFG games... ).

Well, I guess moaning about nothing is a trend.
ok I get you work for FFG hold off the marines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
supersayian wrote:

Huh, I wasn't tracking the Hasbro issue. It does warrant an interesting clarification about what is a board game.

As to development of the app itself... If I were given the choice right now between spending money on Netflix voice work and a crawl, or developing more missions, I will take more missions. I know they are not mutually exclusive though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love conspiracy theories. It is nice to know that his "EA don't allow FFG to do this and that" will not go away so soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan Bertrand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true I'd prefer to use my Star Wars music CD's and MP3's as a background for the game. I haven't checked if that's available as an option, though, now that I think about it... (I'll have to check on the Steam version once that comes out, 'cause my phone has a really normalsmall screen.)
As for the rest, I think we (the fans) have been pressuring FFG enough to get the app, that I don't mind if there are a few minor bugs that will get fixed soon. (I've only seen 2, but that was on an Android 4.3 phone, so... It doesn't usually count. )
I'm not looking into a gift horse's mouth. I might be uninterestedatsome point, though. We'll see. (I can't wait for December 4th!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Burbidge
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually enjoy this a lot more than the Descent App. I wasn't expecting voiceovers, and the gameplay in general has really exceeded my expectations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Carter
United States
Santa Fe
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To each his or her own. But I'd rather resources go toward developing new campaigns and other game play content than toward voice overs, music, or sound effects. It is, after all, an app designed to convert a competitive board game into a cooperative/solo board game, not a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed with the general sentiment that opening crawls and voice content are unnecessary, especially if balanced against the cost of developing new missions and campaigns. I'm not disappointed in this release at all, outside of having to wait for more content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Lambie
United States
ferndale
MI
flag msg tools
my wife and i played the descent app quite a bit and find this to be a marked improvement. Seems like the difficulty is a little more balanced and nuanced (the descent app just seemed to try to drown you in waves of monsters to make it difficult).

Already seeing them do some creative things with scenarios showing potential for some really interesting missions.

The story blurbs between misssions and choices are a nice touch as well.

Looking forward to the first full length campaign and incorporation of expansion content (for monster groups and side missions)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Stormtroopers didn't yell out "There they are! Blast 'em!"? Was it all in my head? ^_^ That and quite a few other goodies from the movies were snuck in there, and I enjoyed them for what they were, but don't think I would want any more. I'm very glad they DIDN'T do any voiceover, as it's a pain to have everyone suddenly hush down when you're all up in the action. As for 'rushed', the app is definitely a 1.0 still, and I've noticed at least 3 pretty major (game breaking, mostly UI) bugs already, like missing 'Continue' buttons in the tutorial that forces you to restart the app, but you can still load the game, so nothing was really lost. And I honestly have to say, for what it is right now, the app blows me away. There is sooo much thought put into the mission builds (those tutorials just scream labor of love), as well as the different AI for the different figures. I probably haven't seen half of what's packed in it yet, but if the rest is anything like what I've seen so far, this is a huuuge step forward from MoM and (especially) Descent 2.0. GREAT job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
There probably is a licensing issue with the music though. I do believe John Williams owns the rights to the Star Wars music, completely separate from the rights to making Star Wars boardgames. I bet licensing that music is expensive and so was cheaper to make "generic" space music.

-shnar

Why would John Williams own the rights to the music?

Lucasfilm owns the rights to the original score for all the movies. This is totally normal for soundtracks. John Williams is the composer, not the owner. You can confirm by looking at any soundtrack, it will say (c) <year> Lucasfilm. The year will depend on the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starfleet Droid
Canada
GTA
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Every time I start the IA app it switches into landscape mode. Does this happen on your device too? I tried it on both my Samsung S7 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet.

Any reason why it forces landscape mode?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
10010110 wrote:
Every time I start the IA app it switches into landscape mode. Does this happen on your device too? I tried it on both my Samsung S7 phone and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet.

Any reason why it forces landscape mode?

Because the UI formatted in landscape. Heroes appear on the left, villains on the right, map in the middle. They would have had to program it to allow the heroes/villains to appear at the top and bottom of the screen and the map to reorient if they allowed portrait mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao Rodrigues
Brazil
Guarulhos
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After just finishing the 5 mission campaign, I have actually only one thing to complain that I think could have be done better. The ambience music never changes. It was kind of weird to have the climax happening with the same sound track as the first minutes of a quiet encounter.

Also, didn't they say we could check our "Fame Points" so we could have like a high score to beat or to brag with our friends? Didn't see where would we check it after the end of the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexis wrote:
shnar wrote:

-shnar

Why would John Williams own the rights to the music?

Lucasfilm owns the rights to the original score for all the movies. This is totally normal for soundtracks. John Williams is the composer, not the owner. You can confirm by looking at any soundtrack, it will say (c) <year> Lucasfilm. The year will depend on the movie.

Because he's the author/creator, and he retains all rights to his creation. The same reason FanBoys wasn't able to use his music in their movie, it was too expensive to use. Williams holds a tight hold on it all.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Williams personally owning the rights to Star Wars' music is unlikely, unless he specifically contracted to retain them, in the same way that anyone who works for hire would be unlikely to retain their rights to what they create for an employer, who will typically want full rights so they can use it as they see fit whether or not the creator continues to work with them (I wrote a considerable number of articles in my previous career, for example, none of which I own the rights to now).

Sometimes when you sell something the publisher just gets first-time rights, and after a while you're free to sell it again for publication elsewhere. Sometimes they have all rights to it, forever. Depends on your contract or terms of employment. But for something like a film score, which has to remain tied to the film and could end up being a huge problem if the composer decides they don't want the film using their music anymore, those rights will typically belong to whoever owns the movie, not whoever wrote the music for it.

Several companies have held the copyrights over the years (Warner Bros. made a copyright claim a while back over a video on YouTube, but the music had been removed from the scene so it ended up rejected). Regardless of owner, licensing the music would also likely involve a separate fee, which wouldn't be cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Baker
United Kingdom
Ferndown
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't care, it is fundamentally a board game and I have speakers that can play star wars music independantly and to a higher quality than a phone or tablet. However I'd welcome more scenarios and content please, oh and bring in the Core & Expansion campaigns, many thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.