Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Sebastien Dupuis
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tempted to buy this game. I love Arkham Horror with the storyline that branches and the deckbuidling element. I find Xenoshyft boring and repetitive after 4-5 games and it's gathering dust in my shelves.

Will I like Dragonfire?

Looking at some video review, it looks like it's just about battling monsters. How deep is this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the first cycle of Arkham LCG, a dozen games of Xenoshyft and a few games of Dragonfire (+a lot more Crossfire games).
Dragonfire different from both games.

Compared to Xenoshyft, Dragonfire can probably be played in a third of the time. Dragonfire is more puzzely and more of a resource management sort of game. The fact that you don't draw a full new hand each turn really changes how you spend your cards. Knowing when and where to spend cards and when to hold back and save up is key to winning.
There is little combo-building in Dragonfire, at least in the sense of what is normally possible in deck-builders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't really play like any of those two deckbuilders. Story is not a strong point for Dragonfire, it has a 5 game campaign but you're mostly doing the missions to grind out xp and magic items for your characters.

It has long term progression where you're able to add stickers with abilities or permanent magic items every one in a while.

Card play is more puzzly, a small bit like Mage Knight combat where you try to find optimal ways to play your cards out. Whenever you kill monsters you get gold that allows you to buy market cards and add them to your hand. You also don't discard your hand at the end of the turn, and you're not guaranteed to draw cards either (only if you have 3 or less cards do you draw 2 cards.) This is fun because you don't really buy cards for future combos, but mostly to take care of what you need in the moment which gives the game a different flavor than most other deckbuilders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.