United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Why play 'em when you can trade 'em?!?!
badge
And on the 8th day, God said "Let there be Math Trades"
mbmbmbmbmb
As they do once a year, Target is selling each household up to $300 in gift cards at 90% of face value on 12/3. One caveat is that you can't use it the same day, and must spend it after 10AM Central on 12/4. These never expire or incur fees.

Here are some useful reason's to take advantage of this deal:

1) Save them for Target board games deals and clearance.

2) Use them to buy gift cards for other retailers. Last year I used all $300 on eBay gift cards, effectively transferring it to a 10% off eBay deal.

3) Lower your normal household and/or Christmas budget by 10%, giving you more money to spend on board games!

Enjoy!

Shameless plug: Check out this geeklist I've recently started to keep track of Target Board Game clearance deals: Target® Clearance Clearing House
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean F
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Red Card bill regularly exceeds $300/month. 10% is worthwhile, as long as we don't lose or forget about the cards. shake

I don't suppose we can buy the gift cards with a Red Card, can we? That would lower the cost down to $85.50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cunning stunt wrote:
Our Red Card bill regularly exceeds $300/month. 10% is worthwhile, as long as we don't lose or forget about the cards. shake

I don't suppose we can buy the gift cards with a Red Card, can we? That would lower the cost down to $85.50.

Nope, don't get 5% Red Card discount on Target Gift cards, but you do on some other retailer's gift cards that Target sells, like Starbucks, Disney, ect...

Also, you can buy your gift cards as digital, so you don't run the risk of losing them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
2) Use them to buy gift cards for other retailers. Last year I used all $300 on eBay gift cards, effectively transferring it to a 10% off eBay deal.

Can you do this online or only in store?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
Nope, don't get 5% Red Card discount on Target Gift cards, but you do on some other retailer's gift cards that Target sells, like Starbucks, Disney, ect...

Just checked and this works on eBay as well! So 5% off all eBay purchases by pre-buying eBay GC's on Target with my red card.

Combine this with Target card gift card payment for another 10% off.

Then keep my eBay cart loaded and wait for $15 off $75 flash sales for another 20% off?

Well okay then. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:

Can you do this online or only in store?

Well I can confirm that it can't be done online at least. I just received this message when trying:

Quote:
Sorry, you can't use a Target GiftCard to purchase this type of card. Please choose another payment method.

Did you purchase your eBay gift cards using the Target gift card in store Ben?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, eBay gift cards are in store only. Target doesn't sell them digitally, it's the actual physical gift card type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain you can not use Gift Cards of any kind to buy Gift Cards of any other kind in almost any situation.

In particular, you can not use Target Gift Cards to buy any other Gift Cards from Target, be them other Target Gift Cards or Gift Cards for other stores.

Maybe there have been some loopholes or things that have slipped through the cracks but the point of Gift Cards is for them to essentially get you to pre-pay for merchandise from their store, not to temporarily hold money in escrow that you then use at another retailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
I'm fairly certain you can not use Gift Cards of any kind to buy Gift Cards of any other kind in almost any situation.

In particular, you can not use Target Gift Cards to buy any other Gift Cards from Target, be them other Target Gift Cards or Gift Cards for other stores.

Maybe there have been some loopholes or things that have slipped through the cracks but the point of Gift Cards is for them to essentially get you to pre-pay for merchandise from their store, not to temporarily hold money in escrow that you then use at another retailer.

The only prohibition Target has against purchasing a gift card with a gift card is prepaid Visa/MC/Amex cards. Other than that you can use a Target gift card to purchase any other retailers gift card, or even another Target gift card(this must be done instore)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thats not what the written text declares as restrictions but perhaps they follow a different policy at the register in store.

Quote:
Redeemable for merchandise or services (other than gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. No value until purchased. For balance information, visit Target.com/giftcards or call 1-800-544-2943. To replace the remaining value on a lost, stolen or damaged card with the original purchase receipt, call 1-800-544-2943. ©2016 Target Brands, Inc. The Bullseye Design and Target are registered trademarks of Target Brands, Inc. GiftCards are solely for use at Target stores and on Target.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
Sorry, eBay gift cards are in store only. Target doesn't sell them digitally

Actually target does sell them digitally which is how I received that denial message I quoted above.

Hopefully I'll have better luck in store now that I've purchased $300 of Target credit! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3wgames wrote:
Well thats not what the written text declares as restrictions but perhaps they follow a different policy at the register in store.

Quote:
Redeemable for merchandise or services (other than gift cards and prepaid cards) at Target stores in the U.S. or Target.com, and cannot be redeemed for cash or credit except where required by law. No value until purchased. For balance information, visit Target.com/giftcards or call 1-800-544-2943. To replace the remaining value on a lost, stolen or damaged card with the original purchase receipt, call 1-800-544-2943. ©2016 Target Brands, Inc. The Bullseye Design and Target are registered trademarks of Target Brands, Inc. GiftCards are solely for use at Target stores and on Target.com.

Yes, it would appear that their stated prohibition and POS system are not on the same page. I've done this in several states and never had a problem.

NuMystic wrote:
BentlyCash wrote:
Sorry, eBay gift cards are in store only. Target doesn't sell them digitally

Actually target does sell them digitally which is how I received that denial message I quoted above.

Hopefully I'll have better luck in store now that I've purchased $300 of Target credit! robot

Oh nice, didn't notice those before. My experience has been in store only and I've done it every time they've had this deal, for the last 3 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Cohen
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've gotten these every year for a mix of pre-purchasing digital gift cards that I keep in the target app for unexpected shopping trips and gifts for employees/service providers (Gardeners, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach NJ
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Yes, you can buy them online at this link:
https://www.target.com/c/target-giftcards/-/N-5xsxt?lnk=nbsp...

I just bought a $300 one and paid $270.

Buying this gift card saves you an extra $15 on a $300 purchase vs. using your Target card. You can purchase a gift card using your Target card but do not receive the usual 5% off.

I'm not even going to buy board games with this; it's just a good deal. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use your Discover card for an additional 5% cash back. If you are in your first year of the card you'll receive an additional 5% cash back match on your card anniversary.

So an extra 10% when you purchase the gift card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cromags wrote:
Yes, you can buy them online at this link:
https://www.target.com/c/target-giftcards/-/N-5xsxt?lnk=nbsp...

I just bought a $300 one and paid $270.

Buying this gift card saves you an extra $15 on a $300 purchase vs. using your Target card. You can purchase a gift card using your Target card but do not receive the usual 5% off.

I'm not even going to buy board games with this; it's just a good deal. Thanks

Yep, the discussion was around buying eBay GC's from Target, with your giftcard. Can't do it online, can do it in store.

Worth noting, while the intent of the deal is $300/household, there is nothing in place to keep you from buying online and in store....and your wife doing the sameninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, i was unable to use any gift cards to buy gift cards in store. At least, the cashier and customer service both denied an attempt to do it stating that you can't use gift cards to buy gift cards. They didn't actually 'try it' and I didn't push the issue because it seemed reasonable enough to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sucks that you ran into uninformed staff. Had you tried to buy them with Target GC's bought yesterday, you would have been unsuccessful due to cards being bought yesterday not being active until today at 10a central.

FWIW, I used an old Target GC I had to pay for part of my $300 GC yesterday. I can also assure you that you can, in fact, use a Target GC to buy any of the other GC's they sell for other retailers in store. It's not a common practice, so some staff may assume you can't, but you very much can.

When you buy a prepaid Visa/MC/Amex, a little message pops up for the cashier that says "This cannot be purchased with a Target gift card. Do you want to proceed?" That doesn't happen with anything else in the store
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can confirm that you can indeed buy gift cards other than VISA/MC/Amex with the Target gift card. Just used a self checkout station to buy 3 $100 eBay gift cards and the system accepted the Target gift card with no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.