Hide
6 Posts

Codenames: Pictures» Forums » General

Subject: Is combining words and pictures fun? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher J
msg tools
How does that play out? Most people tell me words is better, so I won't likely play pictures often. But I thought about mixing in some pictures (not too many) to mix it up a bit (maybe 5 to 10 pictures)

Is this fun or does it not play as well as you had hoped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jernchr11 wrote:
Most people tell me words is better, so I won't likely play pictures often.

Codenames pictures seems to be slightly less popular indeed, but you should figure that out for yourself. Personally, I even prefer Codenames pictures, because there is no restruction on the clues.

jernchr11 wrote:
But I thought about mixing in some pictures (not too many) to mix it up a bit (maybe 5 to 10 pictures)

From my experience, 5, 10 or maybe 15 pictures are reasonable numbers.

jernchr11 wrote:
Is this fun or does it not play as well as you had hoped?

For me, it is great fun. A mix of vanilla Codenames and Codenames pictures in the duet version is my favorite variant. You could also think about adding some Dixit- or Mysterium-cards, if you happen to own these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
flott wrote:
jernchr11 wrote:
Most people tell me words is better, so I won't likely play pictures often.

Codenames pictures seems to be slightly less popular indeed, but you should figure that out for yourself. Personally, I even prefer Codenames pictures, because there is no restruction on the clues.

Same here. We just played with 2 friends yesterday, who also said they liked Pictures more than text cards.

Besides avoiding the rules issues of whether something is a legal clue or not, pictures are also language-independent (which may or may not matter to you, but we always play in groups of people with diverse first languages).

Plus the pictures are way more interesting and fun to look at than mere printed text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group combines pictures and words all the time.
We have a blast. It adds a whole new level to have to connect words and pictures.

Personally I only ever play 100% words when introducing new people to the game. After that pictures will always be mixed in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I prefer pictures, my group prefers words and not mixing. <sigh>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mak Vujanović
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
We always play with words and pictures combined.

The game's on another level that way, more fun and challenging. I never play only words or only pictures anymore, not even with new players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.