3 Posts

Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » Rules

Subject: Species with no trait? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shikasta persson
msg tools
Hej!

I have played Evolution: the Beginning only one time this far, but I had a blast! Only have a couple of questions.

a) Can a species be without a trait or do you have to give it at least one?

b) I have read the thread about feeding order and it seems to be totally unregulated. But just to be sure: Carnivores and non-carnivors can eat in any order? You can attack other species and feed your scavengers and then turn to your own scavengers and get these tokens?

The reason why I ask is that I managed to get a five population large carnivore/fat tissue species and for at least five rounds I let it feed on my own cards that I had drawn during that round. Everytime I made sure not to give the species any traits so that I could maximise the population that could be attacked. Since I didn't give any traits there was never any defensive traits in the way for my attacks. This gave me a huge advantage in a two-player game. Maybe it was just a beginners thing/luck. The other player never got a carnivore card so that he could reduce the population of my carnivore, but I guess this would have been the way to put a stop to this.

Thank you!

Lovisa
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to give it a trait.

If your opponent had a carnivore, they could have gone after your non-trait species very easily. In fact, they could have gone after your carnivore easily as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shikasta wrote:
The reason why I ask is that I managed to get a five population large carnivore/fat tissue species and for at least five rounds I let it feed on my own cards that I had drawn during that round. [...] This gave me a huge advantage in a two-player game. Maybe it was just a beginners thing/luck. The other player never got a carnivore card so that he could reduce the population of my carnivore, but I guess this would have been the way to put a stop to this.

Thank you!

Lovisa

Yes, if the other player had drawn a carnivore card, your fat carnivore would have been in trouble.

You were certainly in a good position, but that just means your opponent's strategy would have to shift to "eat more food than you are eating" if they can't eat you. It seems like the amount of food you could get each round was essentially capped (any new cards you drew were going to your carnivore's food supply). There are other traits which if your opponent had drawn them could have helped them out, such as scavengers, long neck, and possibly fertile if you were not attacking anything slightly defended.

Tis the nature of the card game beast--it's hard to do things if you don't draw the right cards, but it makes each game uncertain/unpredictable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.