Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though long extensive reviews seem te be the most popular reviews on BGG, I myself just don't have the time or the patience to read those.
I prefer quick overviews where I can get some insights into why this game may or may not be attractive to me.
My reviews are targeted at a similar audience, and just consist of my pros and cons coming from:
1) First impressions (before playing my first game)
2) Impressions after the first game
3) Current feelings (after at least 10 plays)

First impressions:
+ Small game, low price
+ I really like Friday as a solo game I can play anywhere, and was happy to pick up the newest solo game from the same author, without any further research beforehand.

Impressions after the first game:
- There’s hardly any theme to this game. The little gimmick of the game (your score pile becomes a flipbook movie when picked up at the end of the game) is creative, but doesn’t make the game less dry.
+ I didn’t even have the slightest idea of how to approach this game during my first play, so I felt like I was playing by intuition more than I was making smart decisions. Plenty of challenge in this game!
+ Short rulebook. The challenge is in playing the game, not in learning it.
+/- You don’t need to remember the sequence of all the cards in the deck to win the game (although if you could, that would probably make you great at this game), but you do need to remember at least some crucial sequences in your deck, e.g. to prevent you from undoing part of your sorting you did in earlier passes through the deck. I like the way this is part of the challenge in this game, but If you hate using some memory skills, than this is not the game for you.

Current feelings (10 plays into it):
+ After a couple of games I started to get the hang of it, and I started making meaningful decisions, rather than playing by intuition.
+ Every game starts with little progress, but things slowly start falling into place, and towards the end of the game large sequences will be completed. I love it when a plan comes together!
+ As with Friday, I can bring this anywhere to play. The other day I brought it to a trampoline park and happily played through a game while my kids were getting rid of some surplus energy with some friends.
- It is a little bit on the long side, though. I do think the length is justified and fitting for the complexity of this game, but since one cannot easily box it up in the middle of play and finish it later, I do have to watch the clock when playing it to kill time, to make sure I don’t start another game I won’t be able to finish.
+ The deck of cards in the game comes pre-shuffled, which made me wonder if the game could suffer from a lot of luck by the way the deck is shuffled at the start of every new game, but so far I have not had any games where I felt like the game was much easier or harder than normal, just because I had involuntarily created a lucky or unlucky deck to start with.

End conclusion (well, for now):
This is Klondike for gamers. If you like killing some time playing a solo card game, but you like turning your brain on while playing, this is a very good option.
I have now “Finished” the game twice at the easiest level, the second time with one cup of coffee left, and have started the next level (got close, but no win yet).
Since there are four levels of difficulty in this game, I am definitly not “Finished” with this game. I don’t see any reason as to why I wouldn’t get 50 plays out of this (as I did with Friday).

(Note that a 7 for a solo game is very good to me, I don’t think I’ll ever rate a solo game higher than an 8, as I will always prefer playing games with more players)

If you'd like to read more of my reviews, check out Still fun after ten plays? - All reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Great review. Thanks for writing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
You got me wondering about "saving" your game, and it seems fairly doable. Just get to a point where you are about to draw 3 new cards (i.e. you have no future cards). You could put your 3 past cards under the deck and put your remaining candy and coffee in a separate bag. When you break it out again just put pull out those 3 past cards from under the deck and you should be good to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
You got me wondering about "saving" your game, and it seems fairly doable. Just get to a point where you are about to draw 3 new cards (i.e. you have no future cards). You could put your 3 past cards under the deck and put your remaining candy and coffee in a separate bag. When you break it out again just put pull out those 3 past cards from under the deck and you should be good to go!

Technically, yes, but I would also have to memorize the important sequences in the deck that I have already created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Theriot
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have this one on my wishlist on CoolStuffInc when it becomes available. Glad to read this review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
Donkler wrote:

Technically, yes, but I would also have to memorize the important sequences in the deck that I have already created.

That's fair, I was not considering the memorization aspect of it. I have only played one game on very easy and did not feel the need to memorize much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donkler wrote:
Olafslomp wrote:
Donkler wrote:

That's fair, I was not considering the memorization aspect of it. I have only played one game on very easy and did not feel the need to memorize much.

So far, I havn’t felt the need to remember too much, but in every game there are a couple of sequences I want to remember (eg I know the 2 is coming right after the 3, so if I can draw an extra card when the 3 is the last card of the three cards I just drafted, that would be a candy well spent).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
After 2 plays I can positively say that you need to memorize stuff in order to be able to do stuff.

But I don't know that I'll ever play it again though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just received Finished! today as a gift. Attempted and thought maybe I had missed something. Olaf, your review reassured me that it may just be the complexity of the game or my learning curve not yet ramping up.
I'm going to add it to my challenge list for 2018 and give it 10+ tries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandy review ... thank you! I'll probably be gettingt his one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betsy & Chuck Berry
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceAlien wrote:

I'm going to add it to my challenge list for 2018 and give it 10+ tries.

Great attitude, Val!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Finished the game on the difficult level for the first time on my 19th play. That is, I had set up for a normal game as I hadn’t won at normal level yet, but ended up using only 5 coffee cups, which means I completed it within the constraints of the difficult level.
Woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Won again at the difficult level on my 23rd play. I think it's safe to say I've mastered this now. Don't think I'll ever make the 50+ games like I got out of Friday from this game now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.