Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use Eternal Ember, you cast another prepped spell without discarding it.

Can you then cast that prepped spell "for real" (ie you cast it a second time and actually discard it)?

Or can spells only be cast once per turn, whether they get discarded or not?

Jian's Black Mirror explicitly states that you cast the spell without discarding it, then cast it again and discard it. Z'Hana's Eternal Ember doesn't make it clear whether you can do this too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toeknee n
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things of note:
1. You only cast spells at the beginning of your turn, so you wouldn't be able to use Eternal Ember and then normally cast the same spell. Silly me, I forgot to check whether Eternal Ember was a spell or not. I thought it was a gem...
2. Spells are normally only cast once per turn because they are then moved to the discard pile, but as you pointed out, there are exceptions.

Edit: See below for explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DoctaWho wrote:
A few things of note:
1. You only cast spells at the beginning of your turn, so you wouldn't be able to use Eternal Ember and then normally cast the same spell.

That's incorrect - you can cast as many spells as you like during your casting phase, as long as it remains your casting phase. If it were 2 sparks, you could cast them both. In Z'hana's case, if it happens to be an Eternal Ember, then whatever spell Eternal Ember has already cast, you're still allowed to do so. The only thing to keep in mind is that you must cast Eternal Ember first. (Nothing explicitly stops you from casting Eternal Ember, then whatever Eternal Ember's cast.) Normally, you can't cast something twice because it's gone from your breach as soon as you cast it - Eternal Ember gets around that.

Jian explicitly calls out a 'cast without discard' followed by a normal cast because it's casting something during the Main Phase, when you normally couldn't cast the spell. Without the second mention, you wouldn't be able to perform a second cast or discard the spell - it would just resemble Temporal Helix instead.

Also note that along the same lines, it's perfectly fine to use multiple copies of Temporal Helix on the same spell, or use Temporal Helix and then cast the spell with Mist's Garnet Shard, or the like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Rowe
United Kingdom
Spalding
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In order to make time for writing I must give up working or gaming...
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies - thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.