Rachel Remmel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Of the games I already own, i’ve noticed some get played a lot more than others. Time (less than 60 minutes), art, non-violent theme, and minimal nastiness to other players all help. Game mechanism is less important. Here are my current favorites; what do you recommend I consider adding? I am considering Istanbul, Dominion, or Galaxy Trucker, but wanted to get additional refs.

Things I enjoy:
Takenoko
Jaipur
Patchwork
Grand Austria Hotel (love it but play less due to time)

Things my family enjoys:
Forbidden Desert, F. Island, Pandemic
Suburbia
Diamant (Incan Gold)
Codenames
Splendor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
Take a look at Broom Service

It meets all your specs and is a really fun, interactive game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
Barenpark, Zooloretto, Jump Drive, Flashpoint Fire Rescue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove
Piece o' Cake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many games that fit those specifications!

Check out "Rahdo Runs Through" -- the show reviews exactly the type of game you describe (although some of them are longer than 60 mins, and a few have a violent theme, but there are 100eds of reviews on the channel and it should be easy enough to filter).

You can either search "Rahdo Runs Through" on Youtube, or check out this geeklist which lists all the games Rahdo has ever covered:
Rahdo Runs Through... Games!

Edit: Go to the last pages of the Geeklist to view newer games -- the older ones will not necessarily be available anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Remmel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
OP here: thanks for the recs above; I’ll check them out.

I agree the the search engines, lists, and video reviews are great for finding games; I spent altogether too much time doing that yesterday!

Here are some additional criteria if it helps:
My kids are too old for kid-oriented art.
My family has minimal patience for complicated rules.
We all enjoy strategic games that offer different pathways to success but some are quicker players than others, so games that are prone to analysis paralysis frustrate the quicker players.
It seems like we gravitate towards coops (one kid prefers) or games where the main interaction between players comes when their different strategies collide, rather than efforts to frustrate other players (probably why we enjoy Takenoko, Patchwork, Splendor, for example).
Maybe not Matt Leacock or set collection, since I have quite a few in those categories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Alhambra

PS - If you aren't screwing over other players, you aren't playing Takenoko right right way devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Campbell River
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia has simple rules, turns are fast, and player interaction is not antagonistic. Probably doesn't meet your 1 hour time limit, although the game never feels like it drags because players are engaged between turns. Also, the game gets better and better if you play with the same group.

Unearth is a lot of fun. Lots of indirect interaction, beautiful art, quick turns, and plays in under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Marinov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Abyss

Edit: Some of the cards mess with other players, but not in a take-that manner, and I've never seen this lead to a negative player experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Martin
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should consider Fields of Green.

The art is amazing and the farming theme is really fun. There is no mechanic to sabotage other players at all. Basically, there's just 2-4 players each trying to build the best farm they can with the resources available. This has been a favorite with my gaming group for over a year now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurie Harris
United States
Lake Stevens
Washington
flag msg tools
Take a look at Lewis & Clark It’s about 30 minutes per player and works well even with just two playing it. The game has fantastic art by my favorite Boardgame artist Vincent Dutrais. A racing game where you are trying to get to the mouth of the Columbia river in Oregon the fastest by managing your resources to travel and recruit more characters to your expedition.

All character cards were either really involved or came into contact with the expedition or “could have”. Pretty cool game and one of my favorites. You can even build off other players cards to maximize the resources you get if you time things right- not an aggressive attacking game at all. Hope you check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some games that my family currently enjoys and fit your criteria perfectly:

Century: Spice Road
A streamlined engine-builder like Splendor, but mechanically different enough to feel fresh.

Kerala
A game where you draft tiles to place in a personal tableau to score points. Light and breezy, but with enough strategy to it that you will have to make some interesting decisions each game.

Port Royal
A card game with a bit of push-your-luck, special powers cards you can buy, and a set collection for scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been enjoying Burgle Bros. - art is cool and the idea of a cooperative game version of Ocean's 11 in a box is well realised here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Remmel
United States
New York
flag msg tools
OP: There are some great suggestions here. I’m really glad I asked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Anthony

Maryland
msg tools
mbmb

The group that I play with most regularly shares a lot of those same characteristics. We all like Istanbul a lot -- its generally a quick play once you get the hang. That said, there are a decent number of symbols describing actions, etc., so you probably need to have a little tolerance for learning/recalling rules each time you play. Dominion is a quick learn and quick play that people pick up in no time. Plus there are many expansions to prevent replay fatigue. Galaxy Trucker is a lot of fun, but the two-distinct-part aspect of the game -- while awesome -- also means that you have to know the game a little before you see the implications of your early decisions.

Also, I know its not exactly novel advice ... but given the list of games you posted, I'd say consider 7 Wonders too. It has drafting, civilization building and resource management-type elements that make it a good intro into different mechanisms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Via Nebula
Abyss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King auction and tile laying in 60 minutes. Plays up to 5. High replayability due to 16 scoring tiles of which only 4 are used each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenn B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kanagawa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdom Builder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Smoor
Netherlands
flag msg tools
I think Carcassonne fits the bill. I don't see it in your collection! Plays in under an hour (given you don't add too many of its great expansions). It has attractive art that makes it very satisfying to assemble the tiles into a pleasant landscape – and that aspect just wins everyone over, in my experience. Then there are the additional levels of enjoyment to be had in the strategy. It only becomes nasty when people start to realize they can try to take over each other's cities. That may lead to some strife between kids when left to their own devices.

I was reminded of my fondness of Carcassonne when we picked up Carcassonne: Amazonas recently. That could also be a great choice: even more colorful than the original, and the central river gives you another objective to pursue when you get unwanted tiles. It also de-emphasizes the sometimes heated competition for control of the largest building projects in the original. For beginners, it also helpful that it has a physical reminder for you to place your 'farmers' by making it a separate meeple that can only be used for that purpose.

It is just a great, classic family game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.