L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the every changing world of crossover genres the distinctions between BGG, RPGGeek, and VGG are becoming increasingly cumbersome. The most recent example is Legacy at Dragonholt which began life here at the geek as an RPG item. Users of BGG requested that it be “moved” to the BGG website. Instead the site made another page, so now there are at least two locations for the same game.

This is hardly the first time this has happened. Games that have be rereleased as digital versions are forced into having a second page on VGG where zealous moderators exile posts they deam unworthy for the more popular cardboard BGG site. The mighty Twilight Struggle has its famous BGG page and it’s forgotten cousin on VGG. There are numerous examples, including the perplexing XCOM: The Board Game second entry on VGG.

Where such a distinction between board games, rpg games, and video games had one time warranted three different databases, with three different forums, three different search engines, three different administrations, etc, that time has surely passed now.

In the quest to modernize the site I suggest that the owners would consider removing the now artificial barriers of the three websites and integrate them more fully to reflect modern gaming and the usefulness of this amazing service.

Edit: The RPG item for Legacy of Dragonholt now redirects to the BGG Page. The rpg item is here: https://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/234669/legacy-dragonholt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
In the quest to modernize the site I suggest that the owners would consider removing the now artificial barriers of the three websites and integrate them more fully to reflect modern gaming and the usefulness of this amazing service.

Please do not do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the same about leaving the three different areas as they are.
I am perfectly fine with one site forwarding to the other.
But if I am looking for a board game I don't want to sift through video games and RPG as well. There is a reason when I look at board games vs. the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
more importantly, you wouldn't want to ruin the searches on rpggeek and vgg with a bunch of irrelevant boardgame results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Integrating all three sites would seem to be a bad idea, mostly.

However, I'm all for having better definitions. For one, I'm in the camp of defining digital TCGs and digital board games as board games and not video games.

For Legacy of Dragonholt, I would need more info before I could choose camp, but it does look more like a board game than an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
I fail to see any negative consequence of integrating the back-end databasing. This wouldn't affect the front-facing content; you can ensure each sub-site is built to show only filtered content based on metatags (e.g., the Board Game page only showing what's flagged as a board game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.