Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Questions About Sleeves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
I just backed this, and am considering going all in for the expansion bundle pack. Before I do, I just wanted to know if the expansions come with curses? I know the base game with stretch goals come with 6. Are there any more out there?

Do the carda in this game often have to get shuffled? Usually I sleeve my games, but theres seems to be a lot of them in this game...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Questions
The base game has 4, what goes up must come down has 5 (with stretchgoals) and there are 3 Expansions which all contain one curse.
All the other expansions just contain other extras, but no curses.

About sleeves, there a lot threads discussing this around here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Questions
It would be helpful if you stated your questions, in abbreviated form, in your subject.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schmidt
msg tools
I can't really find any info about shuffling-frequency and sleeves... I could watch a lets-play, but I really want to go in as blind as possible!
Does anyone if sleeved cards will fit in the travel journal?
Also, if we add sleeves onto our order in the pledge manager, I'm assuming they will ship in wave 1?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyp Ganner
Belgium
flag msg tools
Some cards are very often shuffled. Other never. If you want to sleeve, I recommend buying 200, no more.

We don't know yet if the sleeved cards will fit in the journal, but the creators say they are aware of the issue and will try their best to make it possible.

Sadly I don't remember when the sleeves are shipped. I'd say first wave, but nothing certain. It's written somewhere though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First wave
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Mabinguari
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
@watersilver, there are better sleeves by quality for the 7th Continent, than in the original campaign.
Here is the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nskngames/paladin-card-...

Besides, there are several options to regulate the price of your order (more packs - cheaper for one pack): up to 0,86 USD per pack + free delivery over the world.
I've backed & received the box of their first KS... The quality is brilliant for that price!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).


The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.

Ironically, any chips on my cards were from corners catching on the sleeves as I was sleeving them
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Weiss
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).


I just said the heck with it and bought a bajillion sleeves from Mayday on their Cyber Monday sale. Worst case scenario is I just sleeve a couple hundred at a time while watching whatever must see TV is on at the time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat E. Cakes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:


The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.


yup. Most fragile cards I have ever seen in a game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
danlicata wrote:
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).


The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.


Even the map cards? I feel like these would pretty much get drawn and placed on a table or the mat. I think it's a safe bet to sleeve the action cards, as they are often shuffled from what I hear. However, I would be surprised to hear that all the other cards need sleeves as well?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Licata
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
podonnell wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
danlicata wrote:
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).


The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.


Even the map cards? I feel like these would pretty much get drawn and placed on a table or the mat. I think it's a safe bet to sleeve the action cards, as they are often shuffled from what I hear. However, I would be surprised to hear that all the other cards need sleeves as well?


That's what I said, then he showed me his map cards that had noticeable wear from just a few plays. Happened when they try to pick them up he said.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat O'Donnell
msg tools
mb
danlicata wrote:

That's what I said, then he showed me his map cards that had noticeable wear from just a few plays. Happened when they try to pick them up he said.


That's pretty shocking for a game of this caliber. I had assumed they would be using high quality cards. Just picking a card up causing wear sounds like extremely cheap cards were used.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... or I won't bear with you!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
podonnell wrote:
danlicata wrote:

That's what I said, then he showed me his map cards that had noticeable wear from just a few plays. Happened when they try to pick them up he said.


That's pretty shocking for a game of this caliber. I had assumed they would be using high quality cards. Just picking a card up causing wear sounds like extremely cheap cards were used.


The game does look gorgeous and has a very nice texture. From this point of view it is flawless.

For some reason however, the cardboard (e.g. separators) is very vulnerable to denting and layer separation at the corners and edges. The card-stock used by the cards has a nice surface but is vulnerable at torsions (e.g. during careless sleeving), scratches easily on the sides (e.g. while searching through the cards in the try) and will probably be worn by nail-picking during extensive play.

Actually things are not as spectacular as it seems from my description. Each individual damage is really minor and hardly visible. If you handle the game carefully with dry hands cards and separators will seldom suffer. The problem is I tend to be rather clumsy and, more importantly, the wear -however slow to occur - will likely accumulate over time.

This is why I spray-lacquered the cardboard and I am sleeving the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sesta
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danlicata wrote:
podonnell wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
danlicata wrote:
A friend has this game and recommended sleeves to me. He said that even with limited play his cards started showing wear. So I went for the full sleeve package (to be clear that is both sleeve options to cover all cards).


The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.


Even the map cards? I feel like these would pretty much get drawn and placed on a table or the mat. I think it's a safe bet to sleeve the action cards, as they are often shuffled from what I hear. However, I would be surprised to hear that all the other cards need sleeves as well?


That's what I said, then he showed me his map cards that had noticeable wear from just a few plays. Happened when they try to pick them up he said.


For what it's worth, I've played dozens of hours and my cards have basically zero wear. I don't handle them with particular fragility although I am more careful when I take them out of the card holder.

It is highly recommended to at least sleeve the action deck but I personally sleeved anything with a random element as well (fog cards, state cards, hunt/fish results, treasure cards, notebook cards, etc).

xBino wrote:
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
The cards do chip at the edges pretty easily.

Ironically, any chips on my cards were from corners catching on the sleeves as I was sleeving them


For me as well. Only chipping I've had is while sleeving but it has been minimal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:
This is why I spray-lacquered the cardboard and I am sleeving the cards.

As an alternative to spray lacquer for the dividers, I just went ahead and sleeved those as well. The cardboard chips even easier than the cards, at the slightest touch as you sift through them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.