5 Posts

Cthulhu Wars» Forums » Strategy

Subject: About strategies between GC and neutral units. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Daffos
France
flag msg tools
Hello there, so i am a cthulhu wars player since about a year now and the group where i play and myself are very attached to the neutral units.

In my opinion it's easy to understand their abilities and i love every single one of them.

So i begin with GC because it's my favourite faction and also the one i have played the most, i will maybe do other posts for other factions that i have played several times. So let's get into it. I will rank the monsters and Goo's from the most useful to the least in ly opinion and will explain why.

Neutral monsters:

Dimensional Shamblers (3):

Cost: 2

Combat: 2

Walk Between Worlds: (Ongoing)

When summoned, place on your Faction Card. After any Action (by any player) place one or more Dimensional Shamblers from your Faction Card in any Area. Once placed, Dimensional Shamblers remain on the map (until Killed or otherwise eliminated).

Strategy:
These ones are gold. Their synergy with submerge spellbook and absorb allow them to be an extra offense or defense depending of the situation, you can reemerge with Cthulhu into a well defended enemy area and still have a chance to survive to the fight that will take place by placing these good meatshields to protect your Cthulhu, also it allows you in defense to have an answer to great armies who would dare to come into your lands. Finally it's a good damocles sword on the top of your enemies head who will be forced to play a lot more safer and not letting their gate unprotected otherwise you materialize in and have a free cultist to be captured.

Ghasts (4):

Combat: 0

Hordeling: (Ongoing)

When you spend 2 Power to Summon Ghasts, all Ghasts in your pool are immediately placed on the map at any Gate(s) you control.

Strategy:
These ones are my personnal favourite for a shoggoth strategy, it's a very low cost creature, who is a good expendable meatshield but with a shoggoth it's a potential +14 dices with absorb spellbook, my enemies hates me for that when they realize that my shoggoth has grown bigger than their whole army they send to take my precious gates.
Overall it's a cheap monster and GC is perhaps the one who benefits the most of low-range monsters.

Gugs (2):

Cost: 1

Combat: 3

Clumsy: (Ongoing)

A Gug cannot Capture a Cultist.

Strategy:

GC rely more on sneaking out gates via Dreams and going full kamikaze with Cthulhu than capturing cultists to obtain elder signs so gugs ability is not a big deal. But the good thing with those guys is that they are the most cost effective monsters with only 1 power to summon them and 3 dices, that makes them very reliable and sustainable monster in both defense and offense. You can use them like a punchy meatshield for cthulhu when its time to submerge or you can let them guard important gates and making any attempt for your ennemies to take the gate more difficult. Notice that their cheapest nature make them one of the powerful monsters overall in early/mid game.

MoonBeasts (4):

Blasphemous Obeisance: (Ongoing)

When a Moonbeast is Summoned, place it on an enemy's Faction Spellbook. While the Moonbeast is there, the player cannot use that Spellbook (it still counts for other purposes such as Unlimited Battle and winning the game) The next Doom phase, place the Moonbeast on one of your Gates. A Moonbeast can be prematurely returned to the map if the victim spends 1 Doom point (at any time, not as an Action).

Strategy:
So here we go with the ok-tier types of monsters, the Moonbeasts are very good especially against players who rely a lot on particular spellbooks and build their strategies around these. Moonbeasts allow you to completely deny them for an entire turn. After that they are a good food for shoggoths, never a bad thing, but keep in mind that if you base your strategy around denying your enemies via moonbeasts you need to send them to a certain death, and 2 power for a 0 combat monster might hurt at a point. Overall this monster is pretty good when you are ahead in power and you can afford the 2 cost, the reward is that you force other players to spend power in actions they might not want to do.

Satyr (3):

Combat: 1

Fecund (Ongoing):

Each time you Summon a Satyr, also place an Acolyte Cultist from your Pool in the same Area.

Strategy:

This one is good only if you use a lot dreams and devolve spellbooks, otherwise they are ok, 2 cost monster for 1 dice plus 1 extra cultist is worth the money. If you need to resumon them go make a kamikaze attack against an enemy bunker area (usually ww starting area if he is in play) and let them die first, the downside of this scenario is that leaves you weaker and you need to spend a lot of power to have your units back. Otherwise you can feed them to the shoggoths it's worth it.

Gnorri (3):

Cost: 3

Grottos: (Ongoing)

During the Doom phase, if you have two (2) Gnorri in play, you earn one extra Doom point. If you have three (3) Gnorri in play, you earn two extra Doom points.

Strategy: these are very strong but very situationnal. They cost 3 so they are expensive and cthulhu have overall expansive monsters if we take out the deep ones that you can have for free via devolve. But they can provide you extra doom with a 2 combat dices, that's good stats.
Generally i would suggest them when you are ahead in terms of power so you can afford them and when in the game the other players start turning against you. In my opinion it's a good monster to have in your starting area as you dont want them to die and they are ideal to keep some momentum in the doom track. Also if things go well you can spend the free doom acquirred to gain other neutral units but you would appear as an even bigger threat and you negate your free doom so think carefully before doing that kind of move.

Elder Things (3):

Mind Control: (Ongoing)

If an Elder Thing shares an Area with an enemy Great Old One, the latter may not use its Special Ability.

Strategy:
Again, very situationnal and based on a defensive denial strategy. If you feel that Nyarlathotep is pushing a bit hard on you pich these guys and now he would think twice before attacking you. Same with Hasthur, also you can deny the King in yellow Desecrate ability which is really fun especially on the second or third turn or kill the "immortal" Rhan-Tegoth beware that these moves are nasty and the other players may not forgive you so pick one guy and bully him.

Servitor of the Outer Gods (3):

Note: When you get this Loyalty Card, do NOT keep it. Instead, hand it to another Player. Do not place a Servitor.

Cost: 1

Combat: -1

Adulation: (Ongoing)

The owner of this Loyalty Card may not Summon any Monsters except Servitors if any Servitors are still in his pool.

Strategy:

If you want to mess with a particular faction give them those. not very effective against YS but very effective aginst WW, CC, BG, TT. they can really delay their powerspike and keeps you free to bully them even more.

Star Vampires (3):

Vampirism: (Battle)

Roll the Star Vampire's combat dice separately. Each Pain they roll drains 1 Power from the enemy Faction. Each Kill they roll drains 1 Doom point from the enemy Faction. The drained point(s) are transferred to you immediately. If the enemy Faction lacks Power or Doom points, you get nothing. The Pains and Kills rolled still count towards your Combat Results.

Strategy:

Not the best monster to buy but not the worst either, these can be good or useless depending of your luck. And personnally i don't like to invest 2 power into a 1 dice luck-based ability, the ability is good in itself but is too random to be a reliable part of a strategy although it can be very fun.

Shantak (2):

Horror Steed: (Ongoing)

When Moving a Shantak, it can reach any Area on the map. In addition, the Shantak may carry one of your Cultists with it for free.

Strategy:

Very good early game unit, it allows you to sneak out gates very easily and capture cultists from unexpected locations. It's good if you want to take advantage of a weak early game faction who is easily out of power. Later in the game they are ok with their 2 dices but not awesome either and the fact that they rae only two do not work in their favor.

Leng Spider (3):

Bloodthirst: (Post-Battle)

If a Leng Spider is involved in a Battle, you may exchange two Pain results for a Kill. You may do this once per Leng Spider in the Battle. Each use of this ability can either apply to your own results or your opponent's.

Strategy:

Leng Spiders don't have a great synergy with GC as they have only 1 battle dice and their ability is not that good for GC. I discussed of that with a friend who supported the fact that leng spiders helps a lot to gain the combat spellbooks of cthulhu but i think that their ability is a more big battles-kill-optimization in late game than an early/mid game ability, GC has plenty of ways to fufill his spellbooks and don't need the Leng Spiders very much.

Insects From Shaggai (3):

Mind Parasite (Ongoing):

All Acolyte Cultists who are not on a Gate, are share an Area with an Insectm from Shaggai are Controlled by you during the Action Phase, for only the following purposes:

Only you can Move them
They fight on your side in any Battle

They do not benefit from any Faction's Spellbooks (including yours). They can only be Captured by you if their true Faction permits it. They cannot be Captured by their true Faction (though they could be targeted by a Spellbook or Killed in Battle by them, etc.). Once an Acolyte is no longer in an Insect's Area, he is free. These Cultists are not Controlled by you during the Gather Power or Doom Phases - they provide Power and Doom to their true Faction.

Strategy:

These guys for me are not that interesting, i mean they can be but there is alot better than the insects to pick. It's good choice when you want to mess up with some players who have big mosh pits of cultists but usually you start a bit far from the other factions. In my opinion they are not suited for a GC strategy. They can be, but it demands a lot of set-up and ressources that it's not very much worth it.

So now i will cover the independants Great Old One's, i will rank them on the alphabet order as i am not aware of the top tier of GOO's for GC.

Abhoth:

How to Awaken Abhoth (Cost 4):

1) Your controlled Gate is in an Area with your Great Old One

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Abhoth in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: Equals the number of Filth Tokens in play (0-12).

Filth: (Action: Cost 1) Place a Filth Token in any Area. Filth Tokens act as Combat 0 Monsters. They belong to Abhoth's faction, but never move nor take Actions. They can be Killed or Pained normally in Battle, and are affected by spellbooks and abilities.

Spellbook Requirement:
Choose One: EITHER your Faction has 4+ different Monster types in play, including Filth Tokens, OR Your faction has 8+ total Monsters in play, including Filth Tokens

Spellbook:
The Brood (Ongoing)

Gates in Areas containing Filth Tokens do not count during the Doom phase. Does not apply to Abhoth's Faction

Strategy:

If you pick this guy, be aware that the other player will consider you with a bad eye as his ability pretty cancerous. So use him as a gate keeper, make him camp into a well defended area and place the filth into empty areas or your areas to slowly gain dices.

Once you gained your spellbooks try to mess up with factions that are out of power to deny areas. It's game beaker and your ennemies will be forced to get rid of those.

Atlach-Nacha:

How to Awaken Atlach-Nacha (Cost 6):

1) Your controlled Gate is in an Area with your Great Old One

2) Pay 6 Power, and place Atlach-Nacha in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 4

Spinnerets: (Action: Cost 1) If Atlach-Nacha is in an Area that is lacking a Web Token, place one there.

Spellbook Requirement:
Web Tokens are in 6 different Areas

Spellbook:
Cosmic Web (Action: Cost 0)

Immediately win the game, even with fewer than 6 Faction Spellbooks.

Strategy:

Use submerge to place tokens in remoted areas. GC is not the best faction to pick Atlach-Nacha and overrall i don't like her and her "auto-win" spellbook, it breaks the game too much for me.

Azathoth:

How to Awaken Azathoth (Cost 0):

1) You must have 8+ Power and your Great Old One at your Controlled Gate.

2) Roll 1 die and add 2 to the total, then lose that much Power (i.e., 3-8).

3) All enemy players choose and simultaneously reveal a die face. Each receives Power equal to the reveal (i.e., 1-6). The players(s) with the lowest score loses 2 Doom points. Total the dice, and place the Azathoth glyph on that spot on the Doom track. Place Azathoth at your Controlled Gate.

Combat: Equals the position of the Azathoth glyph on the Doom track.

Daemon Sultant: (Ongoing) If Azathoth is chosen to receive a Kill, roll 1d6. Lower the Azathoth marker by the result. If the marker reaches 0, Azathoth is Killed.

Spellbook Requirement:
All players have at least one Great Old One in play

Spellbook:
Nuclear Chaos (Action: Cost 0)

Each player rolls 1d6. The player(s) with the highest roll gains that much Power. The player(s) with the lowest roll gains that many Elder Signs. You (only) may choose to add or subtract 1 to your die roll after seeing the results. Flip this Spellbook face down (it cannot be used again this Phase). Flip it face up again during Gather Power.

Strategy:

The randomness of Azathoth makes him more of a gimmick GOO than one to pick for particular strategy. However Nuclear Chaos is good to not be out of momentum and stay in the run for elder signs and for power. He can also be very strong depending if you play with a lot of players and if you face greedy ones... More a GOO to pick for the fun and to support GC than for something else.

Bokrug:

How to Awaken Bokrug (Cost 4):

1) Your controlled Gate is in an Area with your Great Old One.

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Bokrug in the Area containing the Gate.

Ghosts of Ib: (Ongoing) If Bokrug is killed, do not lose this Loyalty Card. At the end of the next Doom phase, return him to the map to any Area not containing enemy units. If there is no such Area, he remains one the card until the next Doom phase.

Spellbook Requirement:
Take this Loyalty Card, and hand it to the player of your choice. He then places Bokrug's spellbook on this card, and it becomes active.

Spellbook:
Doom that Came to Sarnath (Ongoing)

At the end of the Doom phase, select an opponent. He selects any Monster or Cultist of yours, and removes it from the map. You may spend 1 Doom Point per faction with less Doom than you to prevent this effect.

This ability was changed in one of the Erratas. The new Version reads:

At the end of the Doom phase, select an enemy. Then, select one of these two options: 1) That enemy chooses a Monster or Cultist of yours to eliminate b) That enemy chooses one of your Elder signs to eliminate.

Strategy:

Bokrug is very good against factions that outscales you hard like WW or YS, you give them this guy and then he will spend the rest of the game with a ball to his ankle. If it's done early game and if you harass them properly they might not recover from that blow.

Byatis:

How to Awaken Byatis (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Byatis in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 4

Toad of Berkeley (Ongoing): Byatis may neither move nor can he be moved with movement-type abilities (such as Arctic Winds or Submerge). He can still be Pained. If no enemy Units are in Byatis's Area during the Doom Phase, earn 1 Elder Sign.

Spellbook Requirement:
Byatis survives a Battle in which at least one enemy Unit is Killed.

Spellbook:
God of Forgetfulness (Action: Cost 1)

Select all enemy Cultists in an Area adjacent to Byatis. Those Cultists are moved into Byatis's Area.

Strategy:

If you decide to play him there is two options. The first consists of not getting the spellbook until but camp in a remote area to secure the extra elder signs for the doom phase it's a low risk low reward but it's ok. The second option is to summon him in an area that is contested and that you plan to defend, if you manage to make him survive he can be monstrous as all the enemy cultists in adjacent areas will be free to be captured and this guys will be your elder sign machine. But beware of the consequences, your enemies might be weakened and denied but they will likely unite to strike you down.

Chaugnar Faughn:

How to Awaken Chaugnar Faugn (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Chaugnar Faugn in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 3

Miri Nigri: (Ongoing) In a Battle taking place in an Area with your controlled Gate, add +3 Combat dice.

Spellbook Requirement:
As your Action for a Round, discard 2 Elder Signs (you receive no Doom for them)

Spellbook:
Curse of Chaugnar Faugn (Ongoing)

Turn all Elder Signs in the Pool face-up. When any player receives an Elder Sign, you pick which one they receive. If you lose this Spellbook, turn the Elder Signs face-down again, and mix them up.

Strategy:

Hands down my favourite great old one, his ability adds a lot of survivability to your gates, and after you summon him you discard two of your elder signs directly to gain his powerful and start submerge your cthulhu to send him to death and resummon right after to pick high value elder signs. With this combo you have an endless elder sign combo, the only downside is that you are only limited by your combat actions and your power, but the power is not a problem if you decide to call for gobogeg next doom phase...

Cthugha:

How to Awaken Cthugha (Nominal Cost 6):

2) Pay Power equal to 6 minus your Great Old One's Awakening Power Cost. If the result is negative, gain the result in Power.

3) Replace your Great Old One with Cthugha.

Combat: Equals the Combat of an enemy Great Old One in the Battle (your choice). If none are present, Cthugha's Combat is 0.

Fire Vampires: (Post-Battle) If Cthugha is involved in a Battle, after all Kill results are assigned, you may choose to "spare" one or more Killed enemy units, by reducing their loss to a Pain instead. For each Killed enemy unit you spare in this way, you gain 1 Power.

Spellbook Requirement:
Kill an enemy Great Old One in Battle

Spellbook:
Firestorm (Post-Battle)

If Cthugha is involved in a Battle, for each Killed enemy unit you "spare", you also gain 1 Elder Sign.

Strategy:

This guy is an aggressive version of Chaugnar Faughn in my opinion. After having sacrificed Cthulhu to have Cthugha for only 2 power you can re-summon big green for only 4 power which means you have 2 great old ones for 6 power which is very interesting.
I recommend to make these moves not very late game because the other GOO's would be more hard to kill, like Hastur or Nyarlathotep, but you can catch on easy prey KiY while Hastur is busy elsewhere.
After picking the spellbook you are a monster and you can start declare some open combats and destroy big armies with your 2 GoO's and a force of meatshields, Cthugha is a late game combat powerhouse so you should have no problem rolling 20+ dices per battle late game if your setup is right.
His ability and spellbook makes you a near endless threat in action phase if you keep cthugha alive and in doom phase a more than capable contender for the win.

Daoloth:

How to Awaken Daoloth (Cost 6):

2) Pay 6 Power, and place Daoloth in the Area containing the Gate.

Cosmic Unity (Pre-Battle): In a Battle involving Daoloth, choose one enemy Great Old One. It rolls no Combat dice (it still gets its Battle Ability, if any).

Spellbook Requirement:
A Great Old One is Killed (anywhere on the map).

Spellbook:
Interdimensional (Ongoing)

When Daoloth enters an Area without a Gate, immediately place a Gate there.

Strategy:

It's surprisingly not a bad choice to choose Daoloth especially if you face late game factions that tends to not build gates too often.You just first, have to sacrifice Cthulhu to earn the spellbook and then you have the spellbook, not a big sacrifice eh? Then You just have to move Daoloth with some bodyguards like starspawn or deep ones and cultists. But beware that Daoloth is stronger against GOO's than monster so care from hordes of monsters from Black goat or late game Windwalker looking for your juicy gates.

Eihort:

ow to Awaken Eihort (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Eihort in the Area containing the Gate.

The Brood (Ongoing): When you Awaken Eihort, immediately replace all of your Acolyte Cultists in play with Brood tokens.

Brood tokens are Cultists with a Combat of 1. They cannot take the Move Action, nor can they be moved by movement-like or movement-modifying abilities (such as Submerge or Arctic Winds). Brood tokens can still be Pained or moved by enemy abilities and Spellbooks.

Spellbook Requirement: You have at least 3 Acolyte Cultists in play

Spellbook:
Unclean Bargain (Doom Phase)

If you have any Brood tokens in your Pool, replace your Acolyte Cultists with Brood tokens on a one-for-one basis until either you run out of Acolyte Cultists (on the Map) or Brood tokens (in your Pool). This is not optional.

Strategy:

Eihort can be a good choice of GOO if you plan to spread accross the map, also it leaves you free to Dreams your opponents like a sand merchant.
One of the game i seen him picked by GC was summoning him turn 3 at the end of action phase with 4 of his 6 cultists still on his starting area, all the 6 were turned into brood tokens. In the next Aciion phase he Dreams and Devolve like a madman the starting location of YS and by the end of the turn had captured 2 of YS cultists (YS player haven't saw it coming, and did'nt grab the "negate cultist capture" spellbook which was a mistake he admit himself aftermath) and forced the YS player to move the others.
Dreams and Devolve can be very powerful with this guy and also has great synergy with Mother Hydra as well as she can resummon all of the cultists in your pool for 1 power allowing you to have a high power base without being spread across the map.

Father Dagon:

How to Awaken Father Dagon (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Father Dagon in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 2 on Land, 6 in an Ocean Area.

Tsunami: (Action: Cost 1) Choose a Land area adjacent to an Ocean Area. All Cultists in the Area must be moved into Adjacent Ocean Areas by their owners (this includes your Cultists). In a dispute over who moves first, you decide.

Spellbook Requirement:
You have 8 Units in Ocean Areas

Spellbook:
The Innsmouth Look (Ongoing)

During the Doom phase, remove one of your Acolyte Cultists from the map and out of the game permanently. Gain 6 Power. This is not optional. If you have no Acolyte Cultists on the map, there is no effect.

Strategy:

Dagon is one of the best defensive GOO for cthulhu, his 6 dices on ocean areas makes him a threat in any key ocean area.
Also his spellbook can be very good in late game when you fight often, usually GC has 3 to 4 gates max so if you grab the Spellbook you will have sometimes before getting in troubles powerwise, also Eihort can be a good complement to his spellbook because his broods allow you to have an extra good times before having troubles with your cultists. Basically when you have the spellbook you want end the game quickly and the 8 power boost will helps you quiet a bit.

Ghatanothoa:

How to Awaken Ghatanothoa (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Ghatanothoa in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: Equals your opponent's total Cultists on the map

Mummify: (Action: Cost 1) Any enemy Acolyte Cultists sharing an Area with Ghatanothoa are immediately "mummified". Lay mummified Cultist figures on their side. Such Cultists cannot use the Move Action, do not participate in Battle, and during next turn's Gather Power phase produce no Power. During the Doom phase, stand the Cultist back up. (A "mummified" Cultist still controls a Gate it is on and can be Captured.)

Spellbook Requirement:
Choose one: EITHER your total Gates + Cultists is fewer than 6 in the Doom Phase OR As your Action for a round, Pay 4 Power

Spellbook:
Execration of Mu (Ongoing)

The Mummify Ability is no longer an Action. It now occurs instantly when any enemy Acolyte Cultists share an Area with Ghatanothoa.

Strategy:

Ghatanothoa is very nasty if you want to rely on submerge, especially if you have unlock his spellbook. You can for exemple submerge out on some starting locations and making a massive instant mummify on cultists moshpits in enemy starting areas so they cant use their cultists for meatshield your attack and they are completely denied in the gather power phase, thats a double deny, and basically what Cthulhu is meant to do, mess with ppl so they can't build up their strong forces...

Gla'aki:

How to Awaken Gla'aki (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Gla'aki in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: Equal to the number of Acolyte Cultists in your Pool.

The Tomb-Herd (Gather Power Phase): Earn 1 Power per Acolyte Cultist in your Pool. (Count these before any enemy Sacrificing your Captured Cultists gives them back to you).

Spellbook Requirement:
You are the first player to reach 0 Power in the Action Phase. (Windwalker taking the Hibernate Action does NOT fulfill this requirement).

Spellbook:
Green Decay (Gather Power Phase)

When a Captured Cultist is Sacrificed and returned, gain an Elder Sign instead of your normal reward (of 1 Power).

Strategy:

Good GOO but without much more, he is good if you tend to devolve so you don't run out of power but besides that he is not that good, i don't understand much his spellbook since you can return the cultist normally for an elder sign without having him, maybe for an extra gather power deny but i think that's not much of a big deal, and his combat dices are not that good. So i wouldn't recommend him because there is way more powerful GOO's which you can have extra elder signs and have better stats.

Gobogeg:

How to Awaken Gobogeg (Cost 0):

1) At least one player has 6 Faction Spellbooks.

2) Your controlled Gate is in an Area with your Great Old One.

2) Pay 0 Power, and place Gobogeg in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: Rolls 0 dice, but if Gobogeg is Killed or Pained, all units in the Area are Pained. This is regardless of Faction.

Book of Law: (Ongoing) While Gobogeg is in play, whenever a Great Old One is Awakened, the owner receives 6 Power after the Awakening.

Spellbook Requirement:
Someone wins the game (need not be you)

Spellbook:
Book of Chaos (Post Game!)

If the game ends while you control Gobogeg, immediately place this Spellbook and gloat. Then YOU get to pick the Factions, Expansions, Map, Neutral Monsters, and Independent Great Old Ones to be used the next time your group plays Cthulhu Wars.

Strategy:

Awaken Gobogeg, then make Cthulhu die as much as you can, so you grab elder signs and power like crazy. Also, paired with Chaughnar Faughn you make sure you grab all the high value elder signs. And if you also have the neutral spellbooks pick The Stars Are Right to cash-in your elder signs to get both their doom value on the doom track and the your power track.
His ability makes Cthulhu not even free but you have a +2 power when you summon him, besides that i suggest you grab some nasty GOO's to continue the crazyness! I personnally love him because he's very fun to use.

Mother Hydra
:

How to Awaken Mother Hydra (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Mother Hydra in the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 6 minus the number of enemy units in the Area (minimum 1).

The Agony Sting: (Action: Cost 1) Choose any Ocean Area. All enemy Cultists in that Area must be moved into Adjacent Land Areas by their owners (your Cultists are immune). In a dispute over who moves first, you decide.

Spellbook Requirement:
Choose one: EITHER control no Great Old Ones in Ocean Areas OR enemy factions control no Great Old Ones in Ocean Areas

Spellbook:
The Zygote (Action: Cost 1)

Take all Acolyte Cultists in your Pool and place them on the map in any Areas in which you have a Unit.

Strategy:

Mother Hydra can be very good to make sure you control the ocean gates, also with her spellbook, you can absorb a ton of cultists in a combat with a shoggoth to recruit them right after for only 1 power...

Nyogtha:

How to Awaken Nyogtha (Cost 6):

2) Pay 6 Power, and place all Nyogtha Units from your Pool to the Area containing the Gate.

Combat: 4 if his Faction declared the Battle, 1 if not.

From Below (Ongoing): Nyogtha is two Units. Any Common Action involving one can be applied to the other simultaneously as part of the same Action, at no extra cost. When one Moves, so can the other, for free. When one Captures a Cultist, so may the other, for free. If Battle is declared in one's Area, you can also declare a Battle in the other's Area, for free. You only lose this Loyalty Card if both have been Killed.

Spellbook Requirement:
Nyogtha survives a Battle against an enemy Great Old One.

Spellbook:
Nightmare Web (Ongoing)

If one of the Nyogtha Units is in your pool, you can Awaken it for 2 Power, placing it in any Area in which you have a Unit

Strategy:

With this guy you need to first try to have a combat with a weak GOO like KiY or Rhan-Tegoth, you don't need to kill him so you can just have a consensus with another player and grab the spellbook. Once you have it, you can start to apply more pressure with the free actions that you have access to, but keep in mind that he is more offensive than defensive.

Tulzcha:

How to Awaken Tulzscha (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Tulzscha in the Area containing the Gate.

Undying Flame (Gather Power Phase): At the end of Gather Power, earn 1 Doom if at least one Faction has more Doom than you, earn 1 Elder Sign if at least one Faction has more Elder Signs than you, and earn 1 Power if at least one Faction has more Power than you.

Spellbook Requirement:
As your Action, each enemy Faction gains 2 Power.

Spellbook:
Ceremony of Annihilation (Doom Phase)

When you perform a Ritual of Annihilation, you may choose to pay nothing, and instead EARN Power equal to the current position of the Ritual of Annihilation marker, then advance the marker 1 step. You earn no extra Doom points nor Elder Signs.

Strategy:

If you had a hard early game pick this guy, you will will have an extra help going into the doom run again, his spellbook is good when you were in a good place mid game in the doom track but you have been focused hard by the other players, this can help you regaining momentum as the game goes, but overall he is very situational.

Y'Golonac:

How to Awaken Y'Golonac (Cost 2):

2) Pay 2 Power, and place Y'Golonac in the Area containing the Gate.

Orifices (Post-Battle): If Y'Golonac is Killed in Battle, select a surviving enemy Terror, Monster, or Cultist. Replace it with Y'Golonac, then give Y'Golonac's Loyalty Card to that player. If no enemies survived, Y'Golonac dies normally (placing this Loyalty Card in the general Pool). This ability is not optional.

Spellbook Requirement:
You have just received Y'Golonac as a result of his Orifices ability.

Spellbook:
The Revelations (Doom Phase)

Ever player except you gets 1 Elder Sign. This is not optional.

Strategy:

Basically, take this guy then submege with Cthulhu and let them suicide to get elder signs for free in doom phase.

Yig:

How to Awaken Yig (Cost 4):

2) Pay 4 Power, and place Yig in the Area containing the Gate.

Snakebite: (Post-Battle) Your Cultists are now poisonous. If any of you Cultists are Killed in Battle, the enemy receives 1 extra Kill result. (He only takes 1 extra Kill regardless of how many Cultists die.)

Spellbook Requirement:
As your Action for a round, remove one of your controlled Gates from the map

Spellbook:
Messenger of Yig (Ongoing)

In the Doom phase, each other player must decide if they will donate 1 Power from their total to you. For each player that refuses, gain 1 Doom Point.

Strategy:

Good Goo to make add extra kills against powerful ennemies, then grab his spellbook to get free power or doom in each doom phase to not fall behind and suck up power from your enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
Very good post!

Just a thing I noticed...
gollummyprecious wrote:
i don't understand much his spellbook since you can return the cultist normally for an elder sign without having him, maybe for an extra gather power deny but i think that's not much of a big deal
You cannot actually do that without Gla'aki, captured Cultists are sacrificed in the Gather Power Phase for an extra Power and nothing else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good post. In order to engage in discussion I will, with all due respect, disagree in some points.

Again, your is a very solid analysis, although I disagree with the monsters rank.

1. Shamblers. They deserve a high position, but I have my doubts if they are the #1. I dont know if you ment the order of posting to be the rank order, I understand that way. They are too expensive to be meat shields.

2. Ghast. They are very solid for GC. They set a strong shoggoth food + meat shield strategy.

3. Gugs. They are almost identical Ghasts for GC. Make the math. They both cost 2 power. If you absorb 2 ghasts and let other 2 be meat shields, you will gain 6 dice and 2 shields. The gugs advantage is to stow a little and summon them in 2 "cost 1" actions where ghasts will be 1 "cost 2" action.

4. Moonbeast. This position is discussable. They are good shoggoth food and meat shields and return easily to your pool where they should be. Although they are costly, potentialy power badly spent. GC have better options to do with 2 power.

5. Satyr. Worst GC monster. You want your cultist in your pool for dreams. #5 is to high for them.

6. Gnorii. Too expensive. GC has no power to spend on these guys.

7. Elder thing. Nice. They protect against Hastur and Nyarla, also Ithaqua and Rhan are in check. These must go up.

8. Servitors. Nah. I dont like those. I assume this is my personal opinion here.

9. Star vampires. Those are great for CG. Submerge, emerge battle. For 2 power you can badly harass enemy strategies, draining both doom and power, they mitigate GC bad weakeness, which is power starvation.

10. Shantak. They dont fit GC strategy. Dream and submerge are far better.

11. Spiders. Nice, a little more than ok. They can be of great assitance for spellbook claiming, but lose usefulness in late game.

12. Insects. Those are good. I mean really solid for GC. Go for sleeper, or black goal, or opener, or ys main base and see their kills be taken by their own cultists. This can be davastating in the end of the round, when they will have no power to bring dead cultists back.

The monsters rank imo will be:

1st tier: must be
Ghasts, Gugs, Starvamps, insects.

2nd tier: good 2nd choices
Elder thing, spiders, shamblers, moonbeasts.

3rd tier: nah
Shantak, servitors.

4th tier: dont go for those
Gnorii, Satyr.

Of corse those are valid for GC only. I will post my impression on goo later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Daffos
France
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply you guys!

Gnoriis indeed are very expensive, i agree with you on that point however if you want badly some extra doom and if you are targeted by the other players it is not a bad option, you can just sumon 1 (you have already one for free) then next action phase you can summon the other.

Insects from Shaggai needs a lot of setup, however in the early game you can really deny you opponents with those and you can just capture upon capture them and they are good meatshields as well. I think they can be devastating or useless depending on the maps you are, because the cultists moshpits usually are on starting areas and you must be close to other players starting areas and being safe in the area with your insects, it can be dangerous but yeah they can be good, but it's not so much my playstyle, however i will try them and post my thoughts about them.

Leng Spiders needs a lot of dices to be sure to have a lot of pains, thing that you don't particularly have in early game, where you want your spellbooks, but late game they are a good optimization in the battle.
Just saying that these on paper are good but in action they tend to not be as effective as expected in early game, but if you have good rolls they are devastating, much like star vampires they rely on whether or not you have good rolls. And 2 power for 1 combat is a bit light for me.

I played Satyrs once with GC and i picked them in late game, the only situataion GC might need them because i haven't that opportunities to Dreams my opponents and YS and WW were putting a lot of pressure on me so i needed an answer. Satyr are only pickable when your on the defensive and you can't rely on Dreams to get your cultists back in the action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Daffos
France
flag msg tools
Ok folks, now i will cover the synergy between GC and the neutral spellbooks from the azathoth expansion, ranked from the best imo to the worst.

1.Undimensioned (Action: Cost 2):
Rearrange your Units among their Areas as you see fit. You may completely empty an Area, but you may not move to any new Areas.

Thoughts:
This spellbook is golden. If you want a spellbook from the neutral ones, this is the best option, first it replace the submerge spellbook with a more straight forward capacity. Coupled with some independant monsters or GoO's this is devastating. you can make surprise attacks anywhere where you have a unit, for exemple you can Dreams into devolve into Undimensionned if the frog is not dead yet, to move a massive army to a remote location. Also, You can pair it with Submerge to back off your units once the battle, but you will have to sacrifice another spellbook to do this.

2.The Stars Are Right. (Ongoing):
During the Doom Phase, if you turn in Elder Signs for Doom points, you also immediately receive Power equal to their face value.

Thoughts: Again very powerful spellbook, especially if you pick the Dhole or Chaugnar Faughn and if you manage to have high value ES. This spellbook allows you to not run out of steam in late game and usually you have to use this spellbook when you took a serious beatdown and need to not be too behind or if you want to maintain your power supremacy against high power late game factions (hey YS!)

3.The Mao Ceremony (Ongoing):
At the end of Gather Power, after Power has been added (i.e., before Determine First Player), you may choose to sacrifice 1 or more of your own Cultists, adding 1 Power apiece to your total.

Thoughts: Good spellbook, especially paired with Dreams but be careful, Dreams tend to be expensive so you need to make your calculations of power before using it. It is good in early game but tend to be less valuable later in the game.

4.Umr at-Tawil (Ongoing):
Gates now cost you 2 Power to Build.

Thoughts: If you go for a mother hydra/Eihort strat this is a good spellbook. Otherwise it is "ok" but not as useful as expected. GC tends to steal gates not creates a massive amount, and he also tend to have weakly protected gates so it's not that good to have this spellbook unless you have a strategy based around it.

5. Shriveling (Pre-Battle):
Select one enemy-Controlled Cultist or Monster involved in the Battle. That Unit is Eliminated, and the owner gains Power equal to the Unit's cost.

Thopughts: This one will helps you win battles, with Cthulhu's Devour it can be a good combo to destroy some meatshields or annoying units before battle but pick carefully the units you want to kill, make sure that your opponents will not capitalize on the power you gaved him back. To me it is viable but quiet an overkill compared to the others spellbooks GC has access to.

6.Recrimination: (Action: Cost 1):
Remove any spellbook (including this one) from your Faction Card and replace it with another available spellbook.

Thoughts: Not the best spellbook and definitely my least favourite with GC as it demands to be patient, something GC is bad at, also it will deny momentarily of one of your SB fopr extra flexibility but since it is an action it slower your action phase so i dont recommend it, only players with a high strategy plan can find this spellbook significative power, but to me, compared to the other spellbooks, it is the least interesting.

Now i will tell you the different strategies that i experimented and thought with GC and the neutral units\spellbooks.

Usually 2 types of neutral units are the balance between good board reinforcements and doom ruination. So the majority of these strategies will have only interactions between 2 units.

1. The Undimensionned filth:

This one requires Abhoth and the neutral spellbook Undimensionned. The thing is simple: Get Abhoth in first doom phase he is vital. replace submerge by Undimensionned once you fufilled a SB requirement, summon Cthulhu in turn 2 or 3 and then summon Abhoth. He is weak early on so you have to protect him and making him grow by "filthing" desecrated areas or contested areas. Place your tokens in your gates locations so you can have a high combat roll with him if the opponents are not happy with your filth. When you see a good opportunity use Undimensionned to weakly defended areas, weakened armies, YS cultist moshpit, KiY crew of undead by using the filth as unit. Yep, that's right, you can Undimensionned anywhere you have a filth token for surpise bullying parties. If you want extra defense to your gates, i would recommend to you to pick the dimensionnal shamblers, they are a good answer to high mobility factions and can be summoned anywhere. It will be a good addition to your defences while big green will be busy rampaging and dying elsewhere.

The cultists lovers strategy:

If you love map control, this strategy is for you pal. First off you need to pick mother hydra and Eihort, they are the keys to the gates of armies of cultists. Awaken Hydra first,and spread your cultists into many areas you can, in this situation Umr-at-Tawil is a good spellbook, you will be allowed to build more gates and stuff, and try to pick Hydra's SB at this time. then once you have enemies looking at your gates, summon Eihort to a safe location (he is very weak), then your cultists will be replaced by some brood tokens who generate power, cannot move but have a combat of 1. Ans with Dreams his spellbook requirement is very easy to obtain. then you can start tto really spread with GC constantly dying and be resummoned. You have a potential of 12 power points in Gather power phase without counting gates. really you can put some heavy scores of power with this combo.

The downside is that if you spread too much too early you will be an easy target. If you wanna go safe early game go with Hydra early and few bodyguards to deny enemy ocean gates, with her ability and just control 3 gates with 2 cultists max each. then awaken Eihort and you are free to Dreams another location with your cultists. And your gates are now protected (a bit more).

3. The 3 strategy:

This one is for pure snowball while being relatively safe. You need to have the stars are right spellbook and the best buddy Chaugnar Faughn. All you need to do is to secure elephant man in the first doom phase, awaken Cthulhu, then in the next phase, Awaken Chaugnar Faughn then start picking some fights with other factions. You are now well defended with a +3 dices at each battles in one of your areas. But thats not finished. Discard immediately the two ES you gained from awakening the GOO's and now you are fine to sending Cthulhu to his death as it will cost 4 power to awaken a 6 dices unit with a free kill alongside a guaranteed valour 2-3 elder sign.

By this time pick the stars are right to continue having the power to invoke Cthulhu and by that, gainig ES to gain more power. It's a power circle very nasty and if you are very ahead, take the gnorri and the ghasts, the first are a good bodyguards to Chaugnar Faughn and the plus 1-2 doom is always nice to not getting too much hurt by getting free units. Ghasts are for great Cthulhu suicide commandos. Emerge for a massive battle with Cthulhu a shoggoth who ate four ghasts and you have a free kill and 20 combat dices, even tho you will probably die that is no matter as your power base will tend to be good enough to support it and against a windwalker or a opener of the way it might quiet a bit. Also you resummon the pack for 8 power which is fine for 20 combat dices.

3.2-The elephant and the worm variation of the 3 strat:

This one is adding gobogeg to your list of GOO to must have. It will just add more value to the death of big Green because now when you will summon him you will not have a guaranteed higher value ES but also 2 bonus power. Paired with The Stars are Right it is insane. If you manage your troops well you will be quiet good on the track. The downside is that your opponents will try to take other neutral GOO's as well... So you need to stomp them before they get too powerful. You can get Cthugha in answer in hope that you will kill a GOO soon enough to trabsform your faction into an elder signs machine but at this point it's more madness than strategy...

4. The great ball of fire:

This one is tricky, you have to have Cthugha with his SB, and some brute force. I recommend either ghasts or gugs, or leng spiders to make Cthugha produce ES like crazy. Also you have to have The Stars are right because you rely heavily on ES, if you are ahead take the Dimensional shamblers to not let your opponents try to sneak gates while your away with the big boys.

For now it's all that i have played enough with to post for GC, i will try to update with more strats ideas but i havent played all the monster or GOO's with GC, some just don't fits him. I will probably do another topic like that on Black Goat then Windwalker then Crawling Chaos and after i don't know i am interested much by YS or opener and i haven't played slepper yet...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.