Joao Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello painters!

I’m a total noob in painting!
I have a couple of questions for anyone who cares to answer. thanks in advance!

I have 6/7 spray cans and multiple army painter shade/wash ( quickshade dark, blue, purple, green, red tones/washes)

1) I’ve just painted Gloomhaven starter minis with spray can and zenithal highlighted with grey and white. Can I now shade them? With army painter quick shade dark tone? Will that be an option to highlight the minis? Will I ruin the highlights? Should I dip in the quickshade can or paint with brush?

2) I also primed KDM starter survivors with black and now I wanted to zenithal highlight with white on the lantern zone but I see everyone airbrushing and I only have spray cans. What distance should I use on the minis to get the best result? Anyone has a zenithal spray can highlight, I only see with airbrush.

3) I have tamya Putty how to use it on the gaps of my KDM minis? Apply with toothpick and pass a q-tip? I find the result quite underwhelming so I must be doing something wrong! Also should I sand it after? Or I just pass the q-tip? Wet? Or not?

Thanks for the answers

Ps: the spell weaver / brute turned out okish, the others not really lol

Lion and a survivor:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Eklund
Sweden
flag msg tools
Hey!

Really new to painting here too. I've also tried zenithal priming with cans and think the priming worked ģreat. Did not do object sourced lighting from the langerns though but sont think that would be an issue, great idea friend!

What i found and need to work on is glazing/shading over the priming instead of base coating over it. Much of the priming was for naught... only one Ive finished so far is the lion. Dont have any progress pics though.

On putty, I tried using gw liquid green stuff. Total lacklustre. It just shrank back into the cracks again. Have some milliput i will try on next model. Tips very welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Belcher
Australia
New Norfollk
Tasmania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro has a demo of zenithal highlighting with airbrush and spray cans in his first Blood Rage video (about 7 mins in btu the whole thing is great)

Highly recommend his channel! Excellent presentation and techniques very well explained imo.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zfg studio zfg studio
msg tools
For spray cans you want to stand off a little more than when priming with them. If that makes any sense. You can’t control the force at which the paint is coming out the can, like with a air brush you can adjust the PSI. So few more inches of distance is needed.

(for the internet know it all out there, yes I know you can attach different caps to spray can to control the flow. But no point in bringing that up)

There a ton of factor that come in to play. So some few test run might be needed. depending on weather humidity that will effect the distance need and drying time. Ideally you want to spray at 45 degrees ang across the models, with spray can it’s little tricky to get pin point accurately. So broad stokes and doing more than one at time so your not wasting paint.

If you are working on survivor place them like a X pattern this way you can trace the X and hit all the models at once. If you really want to play around with effects to mimic the randomness of the light use cut out window screens to break up the white even more. Sprays through the screen on to model.

The biggest thing to remember the white layer is only ment to be dusting not a full cover coat.

That putty is so ok for task at hand let little messy and requires some light sanding and scraping to get it even. Mask is optional when sanding. Wet sanding is another option.

Velljo white putty is great and I personally find it better than liquid green stuff. But I think chemically there sand thing. And it’s not as harsh as the other putty. It’s far easier to add some to gaps and cracks than it is to scrap and sand off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.