Sword & Sorcery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about rule book example - sneak attack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
On page 9 of the rule book, there's an example called "Controlling An Area Example"

The text reads:

"Shae can move in the central area to help the other heroes by using her Sneak Attack power because the Heroes faction controls the area (3 vs 2)"

I'm confused because prior to Shae moving into the area, the heroes don't control the area - it's 2 vs 2. The text I quoted makes it sound like Sneak Attack allows her to move into the central area as long as it's controlled by the heroes, but the area won't be controlled UNTIL Shae moves in.

Are the rules written incorrectly? Would Shae have to user her movement to move into the central area, and then use the sneak attack card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sneak attack says that "if the heroes control the area or Shae is hidden your next attack will inflict +1 hit.
So you would check for control/domination before the attack, at which point Shae is in the specified area.

The wording is a little weird and would maybe be clearer if it said:

Shae can move into the central area to help the other heroes by using her Sneak Attack power.

So that it's clear she isn't using Sneak Attack to move into the area but rather to help the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

After Shae moves into the area, the heroes will be controlling it, then she can use her Sneak Attack power.

The order it's written in is a bit confusing. But you're right: they are not controlling the area until after Shae moves in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Anonymous
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks - I knew I wasn't crazy. I'm an editor IRL and I can't help but notice these little miswordings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skomand wrote:
Thanks - I knew I wasn't crazy. I'm an editor IRL and I can't help but notice these little miswordings.

I first read it the same way you did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.