9 Posts

An Infamous Traffic» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revolution – how immediate is it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the revolution happen IMMEDIATELY if the dice pool is even temporarily empty? Assume a situation where there is two dice in the pool, and someone plays a conspiracy action, placing two smugglers on board. Now this will empty the pool and cause a conspiracy, but what if those smugglers are placed so that they complete a supply chain and would return dice to the pool?

Does the revolution still happen as the pool was empty for a moment within the action, or is the revolution condition checked when the player action is completed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Asimakis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is it happens immediately the dice pool is empty.
In your example the smugglers don't get to complete the supply chain and the dice don't go back to the pool.

That's what "the game ends immediately" (Rule 1.21) means to me anyway.

PLB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb

From the living rules (4.3.1):

Quote:

Demand Expands/Contracts. After a player takes their action, all regions should be checked to see if they have the correct demand. There should be one demand die for each smuggler not in a completed supply chain and for the region’s missionary (if it has one). If the region has too few dice, take the necessary dice from the pool, roll them, and place them in the region. If the region has too many dice, return dice the necessary dice to the pool, lowest first. Dice returned to the pool are not rerolled. This may trigger a revolution (1.2.1).

This is a good question. I feel like I've made a ruling on this but can't for the life of me find it.

The revolution occurs immediately. That is, because the dice pool was empty, the revolution happens (before the player ends their turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the dice would never have been moved out of the pool if the check occurs after the action because the smugglers are placed in completed supply chains (assuming there are already sufficient demand dice present to complete them).

At least that's how I read it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
But the dice would never have been moved out of the pool if the check occurs after the action because the smugglers are placed in completed supply chains (assuming there are already sufficient demand dice present to complete them).

Ah, right. Sorry about that, I didn't quote the right part of the rules.

The main thing is that the check doesn't occur after the action. It occurs just as soon as the condition is fulfilled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good – that's how I read the "If dice pool is ever empty".

In our case, much difference was not made – the winner could just choose which way to win. Place a missionary first, and the dice run out and he wins by revolution; place the smugglers first, there's enough dice, game continues and he wins by having most points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
The main thing is that the check doesn't occur after the action. It occurs just as soon as the condition is fulfilled.

So just to be sure, a player could actually choose any action that empties the Dice Pool because they don't get to complete their chosen action (so it doesn't matter), they just immediately end the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

So just to be sure, a player could actually choose any action that empties the Dice Pool because they don't get to complete their chosen action (so it doesn't matter), they just immediately end the game.

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "immediately". It has interesting implications. Also a bonus: that's how I was playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.