18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Looking for a game with miniatures : 7 years old son rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben
msg tools
Hi all,

Im looking for a game to play with my 7 years old son. This is what im looking for...

Games under 45 minutes

Son cant read yet, so as little text as possible

Coop or vs

Games with miniatures

Right now, we play bloodbowl. However, games are to long. However, he loves it. I was thinking like a summoner wars, but with miniatures or a Descent, but full coop...

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Devilix wrote:
Hi all,

Im looking for a game to play with my 7 years old son. This is what im looking for...

Games under 45 minutes

Coop or vs

Games with miniatures

Right now, we play bloodbowl. However, games are to long. However, he loves it. I was thinking like a summoner wars, but with miniatures or a Descent, but full coop...

Thanks

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is being heavily discounted right now and you make be able to pick up a copy for $5.

$10.49 right now on Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Saieg
Antarctica
msg tools
If your son can't read yet, maybe Frostgrave with some graphic aid cards for each spell. You should start playing cooperative with the Dark Alchemy scenarios. You won't regret, the campaign feeling of it will be a conversation topic between both of you.

If that was not what you had in mind, maybe Zombicide would be nice, but be sure at least to paint those zombies together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were playing Mice & Mystics, could you do any explanatory reading?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
Sure! The new gw games seem to be cool : shadespire. However, there seem to be a lot of reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers is being heavily discounted right now and you make be able to pick up a copy for $5.

And it requires you to read all the spell cards.

You mention Descent yourself. Are you aware there is an app which makes the game fully coop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Toxic
United Kingdom
Belper
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Three Musketeers: The Queen's Pendants
Tail Feathers
two of my seven year olds favourite games, tail feathers can push towards the hour mark, he enjoys playing by the rules then free plays the rest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Long
United States
Auburn
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
invervegas wrote:
If you were playing Mice & Mystics, could you do any explanatory reading?

+1 for Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really miniatures but Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters has some nice playing figures and is a great coop for kids and adults alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
msg tools
I didnt know that. This is really interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Krosmaster Junior

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point: Fire Rescue has a perfect theme for 7 year old boys, is a co-op that is not too hard and has firemen miniatures. My son (now 8) started playing it with me last year, worked great for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb

While I don't know the specifics of your situation, I wouldn't shy away from games with text on them - instead leverage a great game as incentive to read (unless there's absolutely no way your son will ever be able to read the printed word.)

+1 to Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Mice and Mystics

You might want to check out the Lego Heroica line, which offers a very simple introduction to the dungeon crawl genre. Heroica: Fortaan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
odie73 wrote:
Not really miniatures but Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters has some nice playing figures and is a great coop for kids and adults alike.

Definitely +1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Devilix wrote:
Hi all,

Games under 45 minutes

Coop or vs

Games with miniatures

Thanks

It's at Five Below for $5 right now. Plenty of text though. Heroscape may be a better choice. Text, but each character has a couple of big concepts that are easy to remember.

Is eyesight an issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MeepleofaMan
United States
Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is what came to my mind:
Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System Board Games

Minis, co-op. Don't recall how much text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Song of Blades and Heroes is a simple and fun miniatures rules set that lots of folks play with their kids. (See here and here for examples).

SoBH works with any minatures, and there are many sources for cheap fantasy minis - the aforementioned Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers gives you 35 minis for as low as $5. Used Heroclix can be found for under a buck at places like Troll and Toad. And if you want to paint, Reaper Bones and Wizkids' unpainted line are great values.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
odie73 wrote:

If you have a Tuesday Morning store near you, you might be able to find Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game for $9.99 which is a reskin of the above game.

WWE Superstar Showdown might also work, and it can be found for $9.99 at Ollie's Bargain Outlet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.