Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Z
Italy
Este
Padova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played over 10 races with the new Peloton expansion.
All of these in solo mode with 5 AI teams (1 peloton and 5 muscle teams).
All of these with breakaway variant.
The new tiles and 12 cyclists (not only the 8 original ones) make the game more interesting and, someway, more difficult to win.
As already written by
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Early Flamme Rouge prototype
mbmbmbmbmb
, despite the use of the breakaway variant, it's not easy to win leaving behind the opponents.
There is often an end with a group sprint.

I would like to try these two things:
- a second-last + a finish tile 3 lines wide (for flat stages) to permit a big sprint of the whole group. With 12 cyclists (with 2 lines) often squares are fully blocked.
- two / three ascent tiles 3 lines wide. Often (still with 12 cyclists) the ascent squares are full and all the riders are stacked 2 by 2; so the probability of starting a breakaway it' too small (unlike what happens in real races).

In the next days I will try these two options...

For
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

: did you try solutions like the 2 above?

:-) Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting ideas! It seems like more lanes would cause the whole group to bunch up more and fewer lanes would stretch the race out more. I can see the uses of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
Dun, dun, duuun!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also post my suggestion for expansion here as one thing is concerned in my group as a home rule. Lot of my playmates are disappointed that turns are not changing gameplay in any way and there is no distinction in rule between going straight or turning and what makes stages different are ascents and descents and turns are only for visuals.

Idea with which we are going to play is making turns different when you can't end your move on some place because is already occupied by another cyclist. Normally you'll end your move behind group on first free space, but when ending move on turn you jump on the first free space ahead your opponents. This mean you go past turn better than your opponent cycling on the edge of it and making your way to front of the group. It's minor change, maybe not 100% thematic, but I hope that it add some flavor to games and different stages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asger Harding Granerud
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the ideas folks!

I would love to hear you experiences once you've tried them

Asger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've also played solo against 5 teams. The peloton team seems better than the muscle teams. I let the muscle teams go into the breakaway (drawing 2 cards for each rider after I chose mine). The italian Rouleur broke away with my own Rouleur. The Belgium team was the Peloton one.
Here are the starting positions :

And here are the finish ones. The Peloton team seems better than other dummy teams :

As the expansion works fine, next time I'll use 3 lanes wide tiles (straights and curves) to play with 8 teams (and 3 riders in the breakaway). I'm afraid there will be much less slipstreaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Z
Italy
Este
Padova
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AsgerSG wrote:
Thanks for all the ideas folks!

I would love to hear you experiences once you've tried them

Asger

Performed the first tests with the variants proposed at the beginning of the post.

I repeat the conditions:
- 1 "human" team
- 5 AI teams (1 Peloton team + 5 Muscle teams)

I used the 6 stages proposed in the expansion: n ° 7 - 8 - 9 - 11 - 12 - 18 (obviously version for 6 teams).

Stage 7 settings
- the ascent sections of the M and R tiles = 3 lanes.
- the final tiles n + i + u = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

Stage 8 settings
- the ascent sections of the Q and D tiles = 3 lanes.
- the final tiles t + g + 9(black) + u = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

Stage settings n. 9
- the tiles with cobblestones as they are (1 or 2 lanes).
- the final squares r + s + T + u = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

Stage 11 settings
- the final tiles e + J + u = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

Stage settings 12
- the ascent sections of the tiles M + O + K + R = 3 lanes.
- The final tiles g + e + T + j + u = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

Stage settings n. 18
- the ascent section of the tile L = 3 lanes.
- the final tiles e + I + U = 3 lanes (including the squares after finish).

What has changed in the game?
Very little and no distortion!
- In the 3-lane ascent sections it happened in 2 cases (on 4 stages with climbs) that the group broke down (if there were 2 lanes would not have happened) then there were a couple of exhaustion cards more, thing that in ascent thematically is correct.
The "blocks" have been avoided a couple of times, and even this in the standard ascents thematically is correct.
- In the final tiles with 3 lanes it happened 4 times (on 6 stages) that the third lane was used by cyclists who came from behind to gain several positions, while with 2 lanes they were blocked more back. However just to know, none of these has won! :-)
- slipstreaming: with 12 cyclists on the course and 2 lanes there is less safety than with 8 cyclists. Using 3 lanes is indicated above a few more occasions you start to make FR without expansion (ie 8 cyclists and 2 lanes).

Personal Consideration: the solutions proposed with 6 teams have made the races a bit 'less blocked and increase a little bit the chance of escape.

------

Now I want to try an "extreme" solution: still using 6 teams, I will try ALL the straight tiles (obviously excluding cobblestones) with 3 lanes, regardless of they are plain, uphill or downhill; I will keep to 2 lanes only the bend tiles.

Wait for next report...

:-) Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eorl Osborne
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
zakwas wrote:
I'll also post my suggestion for expansion here as one thing is concerned in my group as a home rule. Lot of my playmates are disappointed that turns are not changing gameplay in any way and there is no distinction in rule between going straight or turning and what makes stages different are ascents and descents and turns are only for visuals.

Idea with which we are going to play is making turns different when you can't end your move on some place because is already occupied by another cyclist. Normally you'll end your move behind group on first free space, but when ending move on turn you jump on the first free space ahead your opponents. This mean you go past turn better than your opponent cycling on the edge of it and making your way to front of the group. It's minor change, maybe not 100% thematic, but I hope that it add some flavor to games and different stages.

What do you do if the next space forward is also double blocked? how far forward would you allow someone to sneak? It seems a little un-thematic to me.

Have you tried anything like allowing every rider who arrives at a corner with no one in front or next to them to gain a free extra space (thematically getting to take the best line through the corner as they are not trapped in a group). Just thinking at the moment - I'll try it next time I play. [sadly either of these cornering changes would be quite hard to add without adding a lot of complexity to such a simple and elegant design - and without reprinting every corner with some sort of special icon to remind people]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.