New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Question I don't know the answer to:

-1- What happens when you fail to explore and then forced to spend night outside of the camp? What tile do you spend the night on? Normally, it would be the tile that you explored, right? But what if you fail and explore none? Do you just stay in the camp?

Rules I would like to double-check. Please please please correct me if anything below is wrong:

-2- In Castaways, if I have fire item and a complete woodpile, I win immediately, before having to deal with the weather or night phases.

-3- When I draw an adventure card (?) and it doesn't tell me to shuffle it into the event deck or to discard it (e.g., Lack of Hope), I discard it (by putting back in the box).

-4- The soldier's defensive plan ability cannot be used after revealing a beast card before the combat is resolved, unlike his frenzy ability. But defensive plan can be used after rolling hungry animal die before resolving the roll results.

-5- All built items are accessible to all characters, even those who spend night outside the camp. E.g., when a character spends night outside the camp and the pot item has been built, this character can use the pot to cook vegetables discovery token he has on his character card.

-6- If I have a +1 wood token on my camp tile, and I move the camp to a space that has no wood production, the token still remains, it just doesn't do anything. Then, if I move the camp again to a tile with wood production, the token will start providing extra wood.

-7- Beast icons on island tiles only resolve once when you discover the tile, and have no use for the rest of the game. E.g., they cannot be harvested to draw another beast.

-8- When a special wound is triggered by a drawn event, ALL characters with matching wound colour AND location suffer the consequences.

-9- The rightmost space on the morale track can heal a wound immediately in the morale phase. It's an exception to "healing during the night only" and is not mentioned in the rulebook as being an exception.

-10- If a carpenter uses economic construction ability to pay 1 less wood and fails the action, the 2 determination tokens he paid are returned to him.

Thank you!

PS: Just played my first game (solo 3 characters) and won quite handily! wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
Question I don't know the answer to:

-1- What happens when you fail to explore and then forced to spend night outside of the camp? What tile do you spend the night on? Normally, it would be the tile that you explored, right? But what if you fail and explore none? Do you just stay in the camp?

Rules I would like to double-check. Please please please correct me if anything below is wrong:

-2- In Castaways, if I have fire item and a complete woodpile, I win immediately, before having to deal with the weather or night phases.

-3- When I draw an adventure card (?) and it doesn't tell me to shuffle it into the event deck or to discard it (e.g., Lack of Hope), I discard it (by putting back in the box).

-4- The soldier's defensive plan ability cannot be used after revealing a beast card before the combat is resolved, unlike his frenzy ability. But defensive plan can be used after rolling hungry animal die before resolving the roll results.

-5- All built items are accessible to all characters, even those who spend night outside the camp. E.g., when a character spends night outside the camp and the pot item has been built, this character can use the pot to cook vegetables discovery token he has on his character card.

-6- If I have a +1 wood token on my camp tile, and I move the camp to a space that has no wood production, the token still remains, it just doesn't do anything. Then, if I move the camp again to a tile with wood production, the token will start providing extra wood.

-7- Beast icons on island tiles only resolve once when you discover the tile, and have no use for the rest of the game. E.g., they cannot be harvested to draw another beast.

-8- When a special wound is triggered by a drawn event, ALL characters with matching wound colour AND location suffer the consequences.

-9- The rightmost space on the morale track can heal a wound immediately in the morale phase. It's an exception to "healing during the night only" and is not mentioned in the rulebook as being an exception.

-10- If a carpenter uses economic construction ability to pay 1 less wood and fails the action, the 2 determination tokens he paid are returned to him.

Thank you!

PS: Just played my first game (solo 3 characters) and won quite handily! wow

1. Outside of camp, it's not really tied to a specific tile or location.
2. Yes, as long as it's round 10-12
3. Correct.
4. Once an effect has been revealed (card drawn, die rolled, etc.) I don't believe you can interrupt it with anything other than temporary weapon effects.
5. I don't think the character outside camp has access.
6. Yes.
7. Correct, unless the scenario has specific rules for it.
8. Technically true, I suppose, but there's only one card per color/location, so it will only ever affect the character that drew it in the first place.
9. Correct.
10. Yes, and any other resources dedicated to the build are returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
They come with fire, they come with axes... gnawing, biting, breaking, hacking, burning! Destroyers and usurpers, curse them!
badge
When Summer lies upon the world, and in a noon of gold, Beneath the roof of sleeping leaves the dreams of trees unfold; When woodland halls are green and cool, and wind is in the West, Come back to me! Come back to me, and say my land is best!
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
1. Outside of camp, it's not really tied to a specific tile or location.

But if you explored a tile with a natural shelter, you don't suffer a wound for sleeping under open sky. The rulebook also tells you to pick 1 tile to spend the night on if you drew more than one and both made you spend night outside the camp. So it is kind of tied to a tile.

Quote:
Spending the Night Phase outside of camp: If you resolve another Action in the same round and gain additional Treasures, Discovery tokens, or resources, place them in the Future Resources space as usual, unless another effect makes you spend the Night Phase outside of camp again. In this case, you can choose which of the tiles to spend the Night Phase on. (p. 21)

runtsta wrote:
4. Once an effect has been revealed (card drawn, die rolled, etc.) I don't believe you can interrupt it with anything other than temporary weapon effects.

I don't recall seeing anything to this effect in the rules, do you have a quote by any chance? And in contrast, reroll die abilities can be explicitly used after rolling the dice but before resolving them (effectively interrupting).

Appendix says that defensive plan "cannot be used in response to a card being revealed and before the effect of that card is resolved". I take it that a beast is a card, but dice are not cards. And if dice couldn't be interrupted, it would say instead "[...] in response to a card being revealed or dice rolled [...]". Also, the rule one step higher is that character abilities can be used "any time", so there needs to be another rule that specifically prohibits using this ability before resolving dice rolls, or otherwise "any time" takes precedence I think.

runtsta wrote:
5. I don't think the character outside camp has access.

Unfortunately, I can't see the rulebook saying anything in support of either of these two interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Right, forgot about natural shelter. If you failed to explore, then you're camping in the empty hex, and haven't found shelter.

4 & 5. These are the ones I'm least sure about, especially with regards to the new rulebook which I don't have. I'm fairly certain my answer to 4 is based on old forum posts here. No idea where in particular. 5 is more of a hunch, since the rules tend to be fairly thematically based. (If you're not in camp, you can't use the pot on the campfire in camp, because you're not there!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Byron. People must have gotten a bit over rules questions for this game I'd imagine, so thanks for taking your time. I guess I'll use the thematic approach of house ruling #5 like you said in the meantime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I confirm Byron S answers.

Actually, in the Defensive Plan details (new rulebook : This ability cannot be used in response to a card being revealed and before the effect of that card is resolved.), we should have explained it talking about "effect" (meaning cards, die rolls, etc...) instead of card, but I can assure the meaning of it was not to be able to use this ability in reaction to an effect (think of it as an ahead planification).

And if you spend the night outside of camp, it is not explicit in the rulebook but you indeed cannot use any inventions.

Good luck on your next games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in Joffrey! More broadly, would you say that this Byron's point is still fully correct in the second edition?
runtsta wrote:

... plus I would add die reroll abilities to it, but that's quite obvious, as you can only "reroll" a die after you roll it but before resolving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
Thanks for chiming in Joffrey! More broadly, would you say that this Byron's point is still fully correct in the second edition?
runtsta wrote:

... plus I would add die reroll abilities to it, but that's quite obvious, as you can only "reroll" a die after you roll it but before resolving it.

I think this is correct. The only exception I can remember right now, are the Cook's Hooch that can be used after rolling die (but before resolving it). Also Soldier's Frenzy as it provides temporary weapon effect.

There is also the Stone Soup example p25 (You are playing as the cook and must discard 1 food due to an Adventure card effect. There is no food available, but you have 3 Determination tokens, which you discard to use your special “Stone Soup” ability to gain 1 food.) that seems to imply it can be used in reaction to an effect (in this case after revealing a card). But this example is not entirely correct, as it is inconsistent with the ability details (p33), explaining that the gained food would be put into future resource space when using this ability in the action phase.
Though, the ability details reads "food is immediately available (outside the action phase)" meaning you could technically use this ability in reaction to an effect (in event phase after revealing the card, or in weather phase after rolling dice for example, as example p25 explains).

It is thematically a bit hard to understand to me, as preparing a Soup should rather take some time and not be directly available...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about p. 24:
Quote:
Starting Equipment, Treasures, and some built Items often have an effect that need to be deliberately used. Unless noted otherwise, they can be used by any character at any time, including during the Event Phase, while resolving an Action, or (for Starting Equipment) at the start of the game. Only the Basket and Sack are exceptions and must be assigned during planning [...]

"During the Event Phase" and "while resolving an Action" to me sounds like the rulebook tries to say that effects can be interrupted. I think if it couldn't be interrupted, the rulebook should've said "before or after" these phases, instead of using "during" and "while resolving".

I like the idea of having a simple streamlined rule of no interruptions, but the way I read the rulebook, it's kinda hard to fit this rule in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joffrey N.
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Th334 wrote:
What do you think about p. 24:
Quote:
Starting Equipment, Treasures, and some built Items often have an effect that need to be deliberately used. Unless noted otherwise, they can be used by any character at any time, including during the Event Phase, while resolving an Action, or (for Starting Equipment) at the start of the game. Only the Basket and Sack are exceptions and must be assigned during planning [...]

"During the Event Phase" and "while resolving an Action" to me sounds like the rulebook tries to say that effects can be interrupted. I think if it couldn't be interrupted, the rulebook should've said "before or after" these phases, instead of using "during" and "while resolving".

I like the idea of having a simple streamlined rule of no interruptions, but the way I read the rulebook, it's kinda hard to fit this rule in.

You're correct, the "any time" issue brought a lot of discussions and unfortunately, this one was discovered a bit late when proofing the rulebook, and it has only been clarified for some character abitilies such as Soldier's Defensive Plan and Frenzy, or the Cook's Hooch. I wanted a dedicated section on "any time" but deadline was too short...

But except the above mentioned abilities, other characters' should be clear enough to not have timing issues.

Just for history, the german edition mentions the "any time" in its fullest sense (meaning also while resolving effects). The idea for the 4th edition was to unify all (language) versions to get the least (likely none) difference between them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.