B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend not posting your email - share that kind of thing only in a geekmail.

I'm not the person you're looking for, but perhaps you could post some of your portfolio to give people an idea of your style and aesthetic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But the problem is, we were in many starting projects and most of people there are not serious about it. They used us, we made art for projects that never saw finish line. I tried to actually look for a team and it was always a failure. I offer 200% of determination and work but I receive 0 cooperation. I am so dissapointed for now with people starting in gamedev in my country that I decided to create something on my own.

And it's hard to make first steps in this career when you have no game to show yet. I'm not happy with my actual portfolio and I'm working on it every day but I also want to start making something real, not only illustrations for my own pleasure.

I'm very serious about it - it was never "just a hobby" for me but I just lost faith with people who are "looking for illustrator" to ruin all our work because they found some little issues and gave up so easly.

I was thinking that maybe if I will lead the project maybe it will actually be made. I have amazing second illustrator and I know we can make something very cool but I also know that we need a third person that actually not think about pretty art but about gameplay.

And thank you for your advice, if our own idea will not work then I will sure do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pillai
France
Paris
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Have you considered retheme-ing an out-of-print (or better yet, classic) game with some of your art?

Doesn't have to be a mega epic RPG-esque fantasy game, could be Uno! just with your work capturing the concepts of the card's ability (e.g: Wild, Draw 4's, Reverse etc).

At the very least, it would be a neat little portfolio that you can pull out of a pocket to show a prospective client / employer - with a game that is less important than your artistic abilities.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm using the term retheme here correctly, or whether I'm suggesting a reskin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My situation is exactly the opposite of yours: I am a nerd and have written books on computing and numeric puzzles, but I am not able to draw anything unless it requires a ruler!

I have tried for years to find artists who would agree to work with me on a "share the risks and the rewards" basis, but without success. All the artists I contacted wanted to be paid a lot of money (which I don't have).

Commitment is difficult to find...

Anyhow, I have two projects that could interest you.

One of them is a variant of Carcassonne. I'm waiting for a permission to proceed from the publishers of the original game.

The other is a card game called Jollywood. I have written about it in a BGG message directed to you instead of to this forum.

Let's talk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, Kasia, regardless of whether we will work together or not, you should spruce up your avatar! I've got enough geek gold to support you with that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kasia & Friend and welcome aboard

The kind of advice you can expect here all depends on one simple question:

Do you want to make money?

If so .. well .. good luck!
While quite a couple of folks around here are labled as designers, just few of them really have the skills to market their productions off and to pay you for your contribution afterwards.
Your target audience ought to be publishers - who usually already have their artists ..

If not, well, go for the peeps labled as designers! Lot of them are - as mentioned - designers of so called "PNP games". PNP = Print and Play - games you print and craft by yourself.
Usually those games are available for free, so don't expect any payment here.
If you are aiming for contributing to a cardgame (and don't expect payment), you might want to offer your services here:
2018 54-Card Game Design Contest
Or - if you want to reach a broader audience - here:
Board Game Art and Graphic Design.

Regarding your issue of not getting feedback, I can only speak for myself and thus give you an approach as to why you maybe didn't receive feedback:
I know that I am a terrible customer:
If I work together with an artist, I have very specific requirements in my mind on one day, but may throw them over the next.
("Oh, those hundreds of leaves looked good in red yesterday, but today I'd prefer them in yellow.")
So, chances are, I'd rather stop working with you than drive you insane.

So .. well .. maybe you just had tough luck on your journey up to now ..

Good luck on your endeavour and once again: welcome to the 'Geek

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Zambon
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not assuming that Kai referred to me in particular, but here is how I would like to work with an artist:

1. Ideally, we would bring the game to a marketable level together. I envisage to have both names on the box.

2. If we managed to find a publisher for the game, I would find it appropriate to split the royalties 50-50.

3. If we were to self-publish it, either ourselves or via Kickstarter, we would have to agree how much effort and money we would be prepared to invest in that process and split the profits accordingly.

In other words, I would love to find a partner, not a supplier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elfboy wrote:
Have you considered retheme-ing an out-of-print (or better yet, classic) game with some of your art?

Doesn't have to be a mega epic RPG-esque fantasy game, could be Uno! just with your work capturing the concepts of the card's ability (e.g: Wild, Draw 4's, Reverse etc).

At the very least, it would be a neat little portfolio that you can pull out of a pocket to show a prospective client / employer - with a game that is less important than your artistic abilities.

EDIT: I'm not sure if I'm using the term retheme here correctly, or whether I'm suggesting a reskin...

No, we don't want to copy anything 1:1. I don't like to make things that already exist just for the sake of portfolio. But thank you for the reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BloodyMe wrote:
My situation is exactly the opposite of yours: I am a nerd and have written books on computing and numeric puzzles, but I am not able to draw anything unless it requires a ruler!

I have tried for years to find artists who would agree to work with me on a "share the risks and the rewards" basis, but without success. All the artists I contacted wanted to be paid a lot of money (which I don't have).

Commitment is difficult to find...

Anyhow, I have two projects that could interest you.

One of them is a variant of Carcassonne. I'm waiting for a permission to proceed from the publishers of the original game.

The other is a card game called Jollywood. I have written about it in a BGG message directed to you instead of to this forum.

Let's talk!

Thank you, I hope we will have a chance to work together

Quote:
Do you want to make money?

If so .. well .. good luck!
While quite a couple of folks around here are labled as designers, just few of them really have the skills to market their productions off and to pay you for your contribution afterwards.

Where did I wrote that I'm looking for commisions?
I never wrote anywhere here that I want any payment for that. And it would be a little stupid to ask for money when it's me who is looking for help....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ma Johnson
msg tools
Do you have a particular theme in mind? The reason I ask is that some designers won't want to work on a game that doesn't fire their imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I never thought I'd get so many messages about cooperation.
Some people have really great ideas and I know I want to work with them but about my game...
We wanted something funny, colorful and fantasy-themed. We both agreed that Clash Royale Art style is great for a card board game. I wanted to make happy game about traveling merchants, very competitive and not complicated.

I already have a few people who want to work with us but the question is, if anyone here actually is ready for projecting the gameplay (or changing a little other game's gameplay) so it would be ready in May.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ma Johnson
msg tools
So what do you have? Is it just an idea? Is it a game that just needs tweaking?

What do you mean by "Ready in May"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As many others have stated, there are plenty of designers that would welcome your help. Not many will manage to complete their games (and this may be the right decision if the game isn't good enough) but just as you share your portfolio of images, you should ask them to share their portfolio of games.

I have some game projects I consider for next year and one of them is a card-based murder mystery game that may fit your criteria. I will share the details with you in a PM. Just remember that you are in a good position to pick and choose a project - I belive there are far more designers than good artists.

Edit: I just read that you're looking into a fantasy-themed game so a murder mystery game may not be what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ma Johnson wrote:
So what do you have? Is it just an idea? Is it a game that just needs tweaking?

What do you mean by "Ready in May"?

Like I said, we know what style we want to use and what this game will be about. So the 2 things that actually are related to our "job" in this. We never designed any gameplay but we have some inspirations to use while making it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nhjelmberg wrote:
As many others have stated, there are plenty of designers that would welcome your help. Not many will manage to complete their games (and this may be the right decision if the game isn't good enough) but just as you share your portfolio of images, you should ask them to share their portfolio of games.

I have some game projects I consider for next year and one of them is a card-based murder mystery game that may fit your criteria. I will share the details with you in a PM. Just remember that you are in a good position to pick and choose a project - I belive there are far more designers than good artists.

Edit: I just read that you're looking into a fantasy-themed game so a murder mystery game may not be what you're looking for.

Murder Mystery sounds like fun, I like this kind of games but yeah, like I said, we want to focus on style that is the most important to us. We both are the most experienced in fantasy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi! I'm a published game designer, and I've got a finished game that would be a great fit for you and a "Clash Royale" art style. I've sent you a BGG message about it.

One thing that's not 100% clear to me is, are you looking for a game to publish, or for a game designer to partner with?

In other words, would I be expected to just deliver the game itself to you, or would I also be expected to be actively involved in the other aspects of publishing the game? I.e. marketing, production, fulfillment, customer service, etc.

I'd be open to both options, but the the latter option requires a lot more time & effort! Thanks meeplemeeplemeeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
This is too good to be true. I'm skeptical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
This is too good to be true. I'm skeptical.

Seems fair to me. If I read the OP correctly, they are artists with the illustration skills and an idea for a game but not confident in building the mechanics themselves, so want to team up with a game designer to make their idea. It looks like the other side of the coin to the usual posts where someone has a game and wants to team up with an artist to complete the product.

It looks like it could be a good fit for a rookie game designer who wants experience working on a commission, though I suspect most really want to work on their own idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrix
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
You read that correctly Rob. I've exchanged some messages with Kasia (the OP) and they are indeed looking for a game designer to design/develop their (the OP's) game idea.

They are not looking to publish someone else's game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
khendrix wrote:

I knew there was a catch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
khendrix wrote:

Hi! Yeah actually it looks like this (maybe I wasn't clear enough, sorry):

We have our idea, or, at least, theme and artstyle + few inspirations.
We want to create a very simple card board game to show our skills in illustrations and show that we can finish a game project (because imo it's more important than portfolio with imagined stuff).

I want to print this game, show it to people on the event (on our stand) and in other places with board games lovers that I know. If people will like our game we'll try to make it a real thing and maybe make it even better. Who knows. And if there will be a great cooperation with game designer I guess we will work on a new project.

I don't want to take anyones money for that but I also don't want to pay for help. I'm putting enough money on the stand and on printing everything + marketing.

I'm not a publisher tho. I'm just a person who loves art and dreams about working in game industry. This is my way of speeding up my career and make good contacts.

If you have a great idea for a game and you are looking for illustrator - I'm still here, I have lots of time and determination. I draw everyday so making projects will be more productive than working on another fantasy portrait. But don't assume I will put money on publishing your game, I'm not rich like that. :,<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8Oj4N wrote:
khendrix wrote:

I missed that too but it sounds like a fun challenge to design a game that fits your ideas. What kind of gameplay are you looking for?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasia Sobczyńska
Poland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an idea about pick up & delivery kind of game with elements of RPG (I'm a big fan of real RPGs <3). I want it to be competitive, funny and colorful. :v

(I hope I don't sound like a total noob here...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ...

Colour me interested ..

In fact, I do have rules for a Pick up and deliver game lying around.
It's set in space, though.
You develop your spaceship on your journeys while delivering goods from planets to other planets and you can fight or trade with pirates on rogue planets, and thus become a pirate by yourself!

The "board" actually consists of cards, so it is pretty variable.
My guess is, it could easily be transfered into the fantasy realm ..

Hmmm ..

If you want to, Kasia, drop me a note with your ideas, for starters just to see, whether I can create something from it

Kind regards,
Kai
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Hjelmberg
Sweden
Saltsjö-Boo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
schattentanz wrote:
Hmmm ...

Colour me interested ..

In fact, I do have rules for a Pick up and deliver game lying around.
It's set in space, though.
You develop your spaceship on your journeys while delivering goods from planets to other planets and you can fight or trade with pirates on rogue planets, and thus become a pirate by yourself!

The "board" actually consists of cards, so it is pretty variable.
My guess is, it could easily be transfered into the fantasy realm ..

Hmmm ..

If you want to, Kasia, drop me a note with your ideas, for starters just to see, whether I can create something from it

Kind regards,
Kai

Sounds like a good fit. I had an idea of different card rows representing different regions where you choose between different regions (paying a higher movement cost the further to the right the card you pick is) and take actions (buying equipment, fighting monsters) that develop your character.

But this is only an idea whereas Kai's game sounds more developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.