Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game in a trade.

I plan to play it solo to learn the game.

Is it easier to learn it playing all 6 sides or to use the 2-player variant deck that comes in the later editions (which came with the game in the trade)

Thanks,
Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to review these: (here's no.1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiQrWQIzqOM&list=PL34AZT7o4l...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to solo it to better learn the game, I'd do it with six 'sides'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
The "real" game is the 6-player version, everything else is a variant. Play all 6 sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.c3iopscenter.com/documents/Learning%20Here%20I%20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow,
Those videos and the C3i document will be life savers.

I have read the rulebook twice and am struggling with it.

This should really help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
A solo game playing all six sides will be a very lengthy undertaking, but I do agree with the people who say that the game really needs all six sides for the whole thing to work. If even one of them isn't present it feels incomplete.

So you don't need to actually play the whole thing with all six, but I do recommend having some idea of what each one "does" so you can teach that when you do play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kbclac wrote:
I just got this game in a trade.

I plan to play it solo to learn the game.

Is it easier to learn it playing all 6 sides or to use the 2-player variant deck that comes in the later editions (which came with the game in the trade)

Thanks,
Keith

As others have noted, you definitely should play all six, since every single one works a bit differently than the others and some play an all together different game.

But it is nowhere near necessary to play a full game.

I'd suggest setting up the tournament scenario and playing one or two rounds and making sure that it features at least one instance each of:

Card Plays
- Playing a card for CP
- Playing a card for the event
- Playing a mandatory event (Event and CP)
- Passing and when it is permitted
- Cardplay after passing

Military Matters
- Spring Deployment
- Moving a Formation
- Taking Control of spaces
- A Siege (Setting it up, maintaining it and successfully concluding and successfully relieving it as well as unsuccessfully relieving it)
- A Siege with Naval units (friendly and/or enemy: In the space, in an adjacent sea zone)
- Moving a Formation past a besieged point
- A Fiel Battle (Including retreat and Combat cards)
- A Naval Move
- A Naval Battle
- An Ottoman Piracy Attempt (ideally against France while simultaneously at peace with France and at War with Habsburg)
- A Naval Transport move with resulting field battle.
- Winter Return (to either capital for Habsburg)

Religious Matters
- Reformation and Counter Reformation attempts
- Debates resulting in a win, loss and draw as well as a burned debater

Diplomatic Matters
- Declaring and accepting deals in Impulse Order
- Forming an Alliance
- Exchanging Mercenaries and Card Draws
- Declaring war on a Major and a Minor Power
- Suing for peace between two powers

Other Matters
- a Marriage attempt or two for England
- A french play of the homecard event without having Milan available
- A colonization
- A conquest
- An Exploration
- A new World phase with some active colonies and conquests
- introducing the new cards of a round to the deck

That should cover everything that you really need for a game so that you have seen it once. If you fudge it a bit it should be possible to get it all seen within two rounds.

The only thing left that would be very relevant for a full 9 round game would be to familiarize yourself with what happens before and after Schmalkaldic League for the protestant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That was quite the comprehensive list of just about everything that can/will occur in an HIS game I think; perhaps the only thing combat related that might be added is:
Intercept and avoid battle before field combat.

A sometimes crucial part of learning the pitfalls that can sometimes occur; (especially the intercept to a declared naval landing resulting in an unanticipated field battle). But perhaps that is left for the 'advanced' class?

Final note on the 'move past besieged point'; is this referring to the:

A. Moving an 'inferior'(one without superiority in #'s) force into a fortified space; seeing if the defender chooses to not offer field combat and then moving on thru if this occurs?

B. or the more mundane movement thru a previously(in prior impulse)besieged fortified space?

Either of these, especially A, is pretty rare in my experience...like unobtanium rare...care to illustrate the circumstances that you have found to do this? Personally I don't recommend this unless you have a supply (LOC) on the other side of the 'besieged point' myself; or some clever plan....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tabpub wrote:
That was quite the comprehensive list of just about everything that can/will occur in an HIS game I think; perhaps the only thing combat related that might be added is:
Intercept and avoid battle before field combat.

A sometimes crucial part of learning the pitfalls that can sometimes occur; (especially the intercept to a declared naval landing resulting in an unanticipated field battle). But perhaps that is left for the 'advanced' class?

Final note on the 'move past besieged point'; is this referring to the:

A. Moving an 'inferior'(one without superiority in #'s) force into a fortified space; seeing if the defender chooses to not offer field combat and then moving on thru if this occurs?

B. or the more mundane movement thru a previously(in prior impulse)besieged fortified space?

Either of these, especially A, is pretty rare in my experience...like unobtanium rare...care to illustrate the circumstances that you have found to do this? Personally I don't recommend this unless you have a supply (LOC) on the other side of the 'besieged point' myself; or some clever plan....

Mostly both and the distinctions between the two, particularly that you cannot move through if you establish a siege this impulse, IIRC.

It was just something that stuck in my mind as something we constantly had to look up after not playing for a while and leading to unhappy "Oh, THAT'S how that worked" moments.

This may blow it a bit out of proportion in my mind though.

Also, good catch about intercept and avoid battle. I had just forgotten about those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
These videos are great to learn the basics from:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.