19 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [Barnes and Noble] Dead of Winter 50% off ($29) in store rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I was in B&N picking up the last 2 copies of imperial assault for myself and my brother in law's Christmas gift my wife found a couple copies of dead of winter sitting in the 50% off bin. We did a price check and confirmed it is $29 plus tax.

The most interesting part is both B&N we went to today did nothing to the sticker price to reflect that DoW or Star Wars were 50% off other than the DoW copies in the 1/2 bin while 10 more copies were in their usual location on the shelf.

Really makes me wonder what other games they have marked down right now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
While I was in B&N picking up the last 2 copies of imperial assault for myself and my brother in law's Christmas gift my wife found a couple copies of dead of winter sitting in the 50% off bin. We did a price check and confirmed it is $29 plus tax.

The most interesting part is both B&N we went to today did nothing to the sticker price to reflect that DoW or Star Wars were 50% off other than the DoW copies in the 1/2 bin while 10 more copies were in their usual location on the shelf.

It may be a local sale, I checked online in my area and they are all full price there. But definitely a good find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh that's weird. Just confirming you did the actual 'check local availability' and not just looked at the online price?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Oh that's weird. Just confirming you did the actual 'check local availability' and not just looked at the online price?

Yeah, I did. Sometimes certain stores will clear out stuff but its not national clearance. I was talking to a manager and it can be if the stock is too high and they have christmas stuff coming in they just want to get rid of the old stock.

Apparently lots of the star wars games they are clearing out got to the store around a year ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah dang well that makes sense because only 1 of the 3 stores here has dead of winter but it has like 10 copies. There are quite a few articles that came out in the last few days saying they are getting out of the toy and have business and going back to books. Hopefully this isn't true because I prefer them over my FLGS, often a better selection and ALWAYS a better price without a doubt not even including the 10% off I get as a member and the 2 20% off coupons I get every couple months. The selection is smaller, much smaller than the FLGS which is grocery store sized but the FLGS does a terrible job with their stock. They never order enough of anything that is rated well and let a ton of obscure games sit on their shelves. Mind you I'm not some casual gamer either, I'm pretty up to speed on what's hot, these guys just seen clueless. And their prices suck. I bought dark souls online for $80 while these guys are trying to peddle it for $130. I get it, they have to make money but they're not even competitive. Big reason I prefer B&N as well, with discounts and coupons I can usually get stuff close to online prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lencioni
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
Ah dang well that makes sense because only 1 of the 3 stores here has dead of winter but it has like 10 copies. There are quite a few articles that came out in the last few days saying they are getting out of the toy and have business and going back to books. Hopefully this isn't true because I prefer them over my FLGS, often a better selection and ALWAYS a better price without a doubt not even including the 10% off I get as a member and the 2 20% off coupons I get every couple months. The selection is smaller, much smaller than the FLGS which is grocery store sized but the FLGS does a terrible job with their stock. They never order enough of anything that is rated well and let a ton of obscure games sit on their shelves. Mind you I'm not some casual gamer either, I'm pretty up to speed on what's hot, these guys just seen clueless. And their prices suck. I bought dark souls online for $80 while these guys are trying to peddle it for $130. I get it, they have to make money but they're not even competitive. Big reason I prefer B&N as well, with discounts and coupons I can usually get stuff close to online prices.

I think they will keep the board game section for a while, I think the crossover between board games and their customers is pretty high. They might get out of the rest of the toys as I see lots that dont sell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carol Carpenter
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not sure if this is nationwide, but at the Burlington MA Barnes & Noble, they had a deal today where if you buy a $100 B & N gift card, you get a $20 gift card valid 12/16/17 to 2/28/18. The $100 card has no expiration.

So you can buy the $100 gift card first and then use it immediately to purchase your games or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X YZ
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
starspangledgirl wrote:
Also, not sure if this is nationwide, but at the Burlington MA Barnes & Noble, they had a deal today where if you buy a $100 B & N gift card, you get a $20 gift card valid 12/16/17 to 2/28/18. The $100 card has no expiration.

So you can buy the $100 gift card first and then use it immediately to purchase your games or whatever.

Yeah that's part of their 12 days of Inspiration offers. Available online too:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/b/12-days-of-inspiration/_/N-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espy H.
United States
Del Mar
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:

My stores don't have a bargain bin right now and I was just at BN today and saw DoW, but no price drop that was marked. I just checked online now and it is indeed $29! Wish the expansion was also dropped but it wasn't.

What SW games were dropped 50%?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The one store that has it in stock near me is reporting it at $29.95. Prudential Center in Boston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dragasakis
msg tools
I picked this up in Cary, NC today also when picking up my Imperial Assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea for whatever reason they aren't marking these in store. I looked online at a couple other games of interest they have but they weren't marked down.

soknackered wrote:
feartheclown wrote:

My stores don't have a bargain bin right now and I was just at BN today and saw DoW, but no price drop that was marked. I just checked online now and it is indeed $29! Wish the expansion was also dropped but it wasn't.

What SW games were dropped 50%?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Moss
United States
Owasso
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
New Troll Here!
badge
Stay away from the Voodoo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just did a quick check and every game I tried ended up listing 50% off MSRP at my closest stores, if in stock. I still can't afford anything, but maybe a coworker or two will want to go pick something up.

Thanks OP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Out of curiosity what were the other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Burcham
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Athex wrote:
feartheclown wrote:

I think they will keep the board game section for a while, I think the crossover between board games and their customers is pretty high. They might get out of the rest of the toys as I see lots that dont sell

I bet they will keep the toys and board games just because, digital books is killing there business. Have you been to a gamestop lately? Same thing is happening with digital videogames, its almost all collectibles/toys/board games now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
Burchamj wrote:
Athex wrote:
feartheclown wrote:

I bet they will keep the toys and board games just because, digital books is killing there business. Have you been to a gamestop lately? Same thing is happening with digital videogames, its almost all collectibles/toys/board games now.

I hope you're right but there are a bunch of articles like this that say they are focusing back on books after their earnings report. Who knows how drastic it will be but I do know the 3 stores in my city have cut their board games in half and putting a 50% off sale on something like Imperial Assault the day they drop the solo app which should REALLY jump interest is pretty suspect. Dead of Winter is really popular too so its odd to see this big of a discount on it as well.

https://qz.com/1143510/barnes-noble-bks-earnings-call-ceo-de...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Barth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up! Went into B and N- both dead of winter and Star Wars imperial assault was listed as in stock online at my store. They only could find dead of winter (rang up as $30). But they were able to order IA for $50- plus I added a 15% off coupon, so final total was about $43 for star Wars IA!

$77 for both and that includes Star Wars being shipped to my house! Super happy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear The Clown
msg tools
mbmbmb
butchy21 wrote:
Thanks for the heads up! Went into B and N- both dead of winter and Star Wars imperial assault was listed as in stock online at my store. They only could find dead of winter (rang up as $30). But they were able to order IA for $50- plus I added a 15% off coupon, so final total was about $43 for star Wars IA!

$77 for both and that includes Star Wars being shipped to my house! Super happy!

Wow that is awesome that they did that for you. They couldn't initially find the 2nd copy I reserved of IA at a different B&N as a christmas gift and the guy was basically telling me I was SoL if they couldn't locate it. Fortunately they did so we got 1 brother in law and awesome board game and the other a SNES classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Barth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
feartheclown wrote:
butchy21 wrote:

Wow that is awesome that they did that for you. They couldn't initially find the 2nd copy I reserved of IA at a different B&N as a christmas gift and the guy was basically telling me I was SoL if they couldn't locate it. Fortunately they did so we got 1 brother in law and awesome board game and the other a SNES classic.

Glad you were able to find it! Too good of a deal to not make them search all over the store! Haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.