Holland '44: Operation Market-Garden» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help with airborne remmannts and replacements track rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

This is my first play and I'm stuck at the very beginning.

I'm rolling for airlandings. When I get to hex 4819 (2 steps 82nd unit), I get a 6. According to the table 22.3 this means S1.

The rules mention on 22.3.3:
"S1: The airborne unit is Scattered and loses one step. Record one
Airborne Replacement for the appropriate division on the Airborne
Replacement Track.*
* Airborne units may use these Replacements to restore reduced units
(22.7). "

a couple questions:
" Record one Airborne Replacement for the appropriate division on the Airborne Replacement Track.": does this mean placing the Airborne REPL marker on square number 1 of the Airborne replacements track? Is this track numbered 0-4 meant to track the number of available replacements?

"Airborne units may use these Replacements to restore reduced units" and then, on 22.7 " An Airborne Replacement may not be used on the turn it is created—but it may be used on any following turn." : using replacements is part of the movement phase, so if I get this right, my reduced unit could get back to 2 steps during next turn's movement phase?

rule 22.7 explains "returnees" but uses a "REPL" marker: are returnees and replacements the same thing? The expanded sequence of play on the back of the rulebook, section 4, mentions both separately so I'm not sure.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Carlson
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi sir, you are correct in all of your interpretations!

Edit: and yes, replacements and airborne returnees are the same thing and both use the REPL counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Jedi
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey Thanks a lot for the ultra-fast response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend stacking the reduced 82nd battalion with a full-strength one just so that you don't find yourself needing to reduce something to a remnant in the initial drop.

That said, it's temporary as others have pointed out. Note also that the "lost" step can go back to ANY battalion - as the Allies, I'd rather have a step or two in the "bank" that I can later put back wherever it is needed than have a flawless drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van den Assem
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
demoss1 wrote:
as the Allies, I'd rather have a step or two in the "bank" that I can later put back wherever it is needed than have a flawless drop.

Yes indeed a very handy "joker" to have in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.