Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Is the Spellweaver a bad character to start with? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We're playing 2 players, I play with the Spellweaver and she plays with the Cragheart, and we just lost scenario 2 twice in a row. Not even close. The Bandit Commander in our second game summoned Living Bones 3 times in a row. Too many enemies, couldn't do anything.

We're basically just grinding now, (although I'm not sure reaching level 2 will change anything) and I'm wondering if every scenario will be like that.

The Spellweaver has too little cards, too little health.

:/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Fowle
United States
Walpole
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo with three characters. From what I understand, its good to bring a tanky character, like the mindthief or the brute. I use the mindthief, the spellweaver, and the tinkerer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N W
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
As long as you wait a decent while to recover your lost cards with the spellweaver you should actually end up with more cards then most classes.

I'm playing solo with Brute and Spellweaver and the Brute with 10 cards runs out before the spellweaver with 8 because I'll recover 4 or 5 lost cards.

Potion of stamina is cheap, could pick one of those up to help too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani Sdao
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rylit wrote:
As long as you wait a decent while to recover your lost cards with the spellweaver you should actually end up with more cards then most classes.

I'm playing solo with Brute and Spellweaver and the Brute with 10 cards runs out before the spellweaver with 8 because I'll recover 4 or 5 lost cards.

Potion of stamina is cheap, could pick one of those up to help too.

Wow. Playing solo Spellweaver/Brute, three scenarios attempted, Spellweaver ran out of cards twice. And early.

Never came close to Brute running out of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many cards are you getting back when you play the spellweaver's card that returns all lost cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shu-Chu Li
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game with my wife using Spellweaver and Cragheart. We won our first 4 games in a row, and we were usually going to be exhausted at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SW gets fewer cards then any other starting toon. Hand mgmt is critical for this class. You can search the strategy forums for some good ideas that have already been discussed on how to deal with avoiding exhaustion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Isn't the Cragheart a tank character too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danielao wrote:
Wow. Playing solo Spellweaver/Brute, three scenarios attempted, Spellweaver ran out of cards twice. And early.

My first character was a SW, and I was exhausted b/c of cards twice total-- one where we failed the scenario b/c it came down to one last attack.

Though, I wasn't playing solo and only had to worry about mastering one character.

(also, who calls non-animated characters "toons"-- another poster, but???)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SaintHax wrote:
[q="danielao"]

Some of us who worked/played in the vid game industry do it for shorthand. Its a habit of mine that's creeped into BGames. Why? You think it's derogatory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Crag and Spellweaver as my starting two characters (ran them both while playing solo) and thought they played great together with a good synergy.

Also, not sure how you're running out of cards so early in comparison to the Crag, you can essentially lose each card twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellweaver has essentially 16 cards (9 to start, but you can get all lost cards back once you have lost 7 of them). She should be able to last as long as other starting characters. Her HP is another matter; she is a but of a glass cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cragheart can tank but he's not great at it. Plus no character in this game is a tank if your thinking WOW or Moba's. Tanks in gloomhaven won't die in one hit most of the time but should still try avoid damage. The Cragheart even more so. Cragheart is a better ranged, or possibly melee, aoe damage dealer.

Spellweaver is also a good aoe damage dealer so the boss summoning minions and standing around could play to your strengths. This level is won easiest by burning down the boss as fast as possible. With crag and spellweaver this can be accomplished while also damaging the minions he is standing next to. Try to focus on those aoe damage cards and know when to use the "lost" ones. If your running out of cards it doesn't necessarily mean your using them too much.

I had a buddy teach me this lesson. He played tinkerer and just threw out lost card combos like a crazy person. I thought we're done for sure and he did get exhausted sometimes but turns out, a lot of the time he killed all the enemies so fast, it ended so much quicker, even he didn't run out of cards.

Finally, not to beat a dead horse but I agree with other posters, spellweaver should be able to last longer than other classes as she can get her cards back.

Try not to get discouraged, it's a steep learning curve for some and if your struggling I highly recommend lowering the difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Spellweaver can take a few tries to get good at managing her cards, but she's great once you "get" her and can go the distance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No, Spellweaver and Cragheart are an excellent combo. If you switch characters, you will have to learn their abilities all over again, so I'd advise against it.
It does not help to 'grind' as the monsters will level up as you do. Just lower the difficulty until you get the hang of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
SaintHax wrote:
danielao wrote:

Some of us who worked/played in the vid game industry do it for shorthand. Its a habit of mine that's creeped into BGames. Why? You think it's derogatory?

I know where it came from, it was a particular community that started it-- can't remember which (though I remember EQ using it-- and they looked like toons), and it occasionally creeps into boards for other MMORPG's (I've read that eventually it became common place in WoW, but it was rare to see it year one). I've always hated it: I have a character that is killing monsters, not a toon. I've always wondered why a community would equate their monster killer to Looney Toons.

This is the first time I've ever seen it used for something other than a video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, and I can not stress this enough, but you all have a minor stam potion right? It's the first thing you do with 10 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Doc Mage wrote:
Also, and I can not stress this enough, but you all have a minor stam potion right? It's the first thing you do with 10 gold.

No I used the recommended setup, next time I will go buy one of these potions before we start.

We tried rushing the boss in our second game, but my Spellweaver had only 1 health left and we got unlucky because the archers managed to play before my Spellweaver right before I would have healed, so we lost. I felt like cheating and turning over another card for the archers so they would go after me, then we could have won...

kittenhoarder wrote:
Spellweaver has essentially 16 cards (9 to start, but you can get all lost cards back once you have lost 7 of them). She should be able to last as long as other starting characters. Her HP is another matter; she is a but of a glass cannon.

The Spellweaver starts with 8 cards, not 9...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Zdan
United States
Council Bluffs
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we first started, it took me a few plays to finally 'get' how to play the Spellweaver, and not exhaust before the end of every scenario. Just because you can get your lost cards back might influence you to take more lose cards, and/or use them more frequently. Try leaving some of them behind and/or using them for their discard abilities more instead of the lose abilities, so you can prolong yourself more by resting. It'll take a few plays to understand how and when to use lose cards in order to do consistent damage, and still last until the end of the scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:
Isn't the Cragheart a tank character too?

More like offtank in MMO terminology but it depends on what cards and equipment you take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:
No I used the recommended setup, next time I will go buy one of these potions before we start.

We tried rushing the boss in our second game, but my Spellweaver had only 1 health left and we got unlucky because the archers managed to play before my Spellweaver right before I would have healed, so we lost. I felt like cheating and turning over another card for the archers so they would go after me, then we could have won.

Just wanted to make sure your aware you can lose a card to avoid a source of damage. I know Spellweaver can run into trouble with this as she might lose her reviving ether then but just wanted to make sure as a lot of people have made that mistake.

Also, I'll third the advice for a stamina potion. Best starting item by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My observation from my very first game last night.

We played 4 players, and did Black Barrow on easy. The only player exhausted by the end was the Spellweaver.

Reason: All those "lost pile" abilities looked so good to him, and he figured he'd just get them back when he played that card that recovers them all. Same thing with a couple of really big sources of damage. Rather than taking it, he threw a couple of cards away to mitigate (though we had healing in the group).

After the recovery of the cards from lost, his options really started to dwindle as he was "forced" into suboptimal choices to avoid using the "loss" side of the cards. Even so, he dwindled out at the end.

Therefore, it seems to me that the Spellweaver requires a lot of really good hand management, and a good instinct in knowing when to go all out, and when to hold back.

That is my expert opinion after a single play during which a friend played the spellweaver and I played the brute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
Honestly, the Eagle eye Googles are best with the Spellweaver. With proper card play the SW doesn't need stamina potion.

But you do have to realize that just because you can recover, you still can't be super aggressive and use all of your lost cards on the first cycle through your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrsuitcase wrote:
Therefore, it seems to me that the Spellweaver requires a lot of really good hand management, and a good instinct in knowing when to go all out, and when to hold back.

That is my expert opinion after a single play during which a friend played the spellweaver and I played the brute.

As someone who has retired the SW-- you are spot on. The "recover all" in itself is useful as a card to play, so you have to pick when you want to play it. Like any other character, you don't want to lose too many cards, too soon-- despite the allure of getting them all back. This is something that I had to tell our SC player, who kept thinking my ability to do this was the holy grail and an easy choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It takes several games to get any class down and a “tank” is not necessary if players are hitting hard, applying status effects to enemies, and watching their movement carefully.

SW needs to maximize damage while not getting too close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.