Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex S
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I finally had a chance to open up my game of Fog of Love and try it out. Now I’m here to tell you about the experience!

Context

Today was my first time playing Fog of Love. My wife and I opened up and learned the game together. We started with the tutorial game, which was designed to allow you to play the game without ever opening up the rulebook (to be clear, the first tutorial instructions are on the back cover of the rulebook), though with about as much reading as reading a quick start rulebook. After about half of the game we decided we wanted to take the training wheels off and restarted the first scenario without the tutorial pieces. As such this is a first impressions review, dealing with only the first scenario (Sunday Morning Date).

Rules & Game Mechanisms

Fog of Love is mechanically interesting. It is a two player only game that lives both in a fuzzy line between roleplaying game and board game as well as being somewhere between a cooperative and competitive game. The game plays out with players taking turns playing cards, most of which have both players picking between multiple objectives based on a combination of their own personal goals, the personality of their character (determined at the start of the game) and what they think the other player’s character will pick. Depending on their goals you usually want to pick the same choice as the other player though sometimes the best outcome for you is to pick something different, harming the characters’ relationship. While this is simple it offers interesting mind games and creates amusing stories as well, not only based on the outcomes of different cards, but what was played.

The character creation process that I mentioned above simply involves picking three out of five options for personality traits and one out of three options for an occupation for yourself, then picking three out of five physical features for the other player. The occupation and physical features change your starting personality while the personality traits define what your goals are for your end game personality (though any of these can be changed during the game through specific cards). It’s simple but enough to start giving players goals and a personality to define their character. This is actually a great example of melding boardgame and rpg features, and I was quite impressed with how good of a job it did of this.

Art, Theme, & Components

There is almost no actual art in Fog of Love. The character silhouettes on the box are used a couple of places on cards and that’s about it. That said, the graphic design is phenomenal, giving the feel of a romantic comedy (or drama) type setting. Most everything is clean and clear. The colors on the purple and black personality tracks are just a little bit closer than I would like but the symbols make it clear enough which is which (and clear up any colorblind issues that could be had with them.

The component quality for this game is absolutely top notch. The box comes in a sleeve instead of a traditional telescoping lid and all of the components are very high quality. Each scenario is in its own booster sleeve to give that slight dopamine rush from opening each new package that people love so much from legacy games. The personality marker pieces are nice wood and are stored in solid plastic containers included in the box. The choice tokens are especially impressive as heavy poker chips. Components wise, I was extremely impressed and don’t have a single complaint.

Strategy & Replayability

Strategy in Fog of Love isn’t about winning but rather about playing your character. And enjoying the story experience. There are just enough mind games going on to keep it interesting, however. If you enjoy the roleplaying aspect then there’s a lot of opportunity for replayability with different characters and scenarios developing in different playthroughs. While I’ve only played one scenario, there are three more included in the retail edition and three others that are included in the kickstarter what will be released as expansions for the retail edition in 2018.

Final Thoughts

I absolutely loved playing Fog of Love and am really looking forward to playing with her more. That said, I’m not sure if I’d consider playing it with others unless they really wanted to. It definitely feels like the sort of game that’s meant to be played with one’s significant other. If you like the idea of a light roleplaying relationship type game I’d definitely encourage giving it a try because it definitely doesn’t disappoint with what it does.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review
If you enjoyed it, please pass a thumb my way!
Check out www.epicherogames.com to find all my reviews in one place
Follow me on Twitter to hear about my latest reviews and whatever else I happen to feel like posting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
East Lyme
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Never enough of these to go around...
badge
Never cut a deal with this guy...
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome that you got to play it with your wife! I'd eager to play this with my fiancee myself.

Thank you for the informative review! I'm glad this will be worth the wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John F
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review, thanks. My wife and I also love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.